Basking light

Michaelamarie

Beardie name(s)
Ace
I’m sick and tired of buying zoo med bulbs. They are crap and go out way too often. I’m going to try home depo bulbs instead. Which do you recommend. His tank usually has 75 or 100 watt and does great. I was looking at these I posted a picture. Has anyone used home depo bulbs like these or what one do you recommend? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4913.jpg
    IMG_4913.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 43

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are LED bulbs and will basically put off no heat. You need a halogen or incandescent bulb. Unfortunately, with all the energy savings pushes, it's harder to find these types of bulbs at your normal home improvement stores.

-Brandon

Michaelamarie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
Those are LED bulbs and will basically put off no heat. You need a halogen or incandescent bulb. Unfortunately, with all the energy savings pushes, it's harder to find these types of bulbs at your normal home improvement stores.

-Brandon
Thank you so much. I’ll look for those.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m sick and tired of buying zoo med bulbs. They are crap and go out way too often. I’m going to try home depo bulbs instead. Which do you recommend. His tank usually has 75 or 100 watt and does great. I was looking at these I posted a picture. Has anyone used home depo bulbs like these or what one do you recommend? Thanks.
You can also try flukers basking bulbs -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Feed and tack stores and places that sells chickens, ducks, ect also may have them.

Last edited:

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Halogen bulbs work just fine. You’d want to not go any lower than a par20, I’m pretty sure. You do NOT want an LED bulb though, which as Brandon mentioned you have linked to this post. You can order some for fairly cheap on Amazon, about $20 CAD for four bulbs. They’re a tricky find at most hardware stores, but either way it’s cheaper to order online. Good luck 👍

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
I used to go with HW store bulbs, but where I live in CA they are banned. I believe they will all be banned federally soon as well so stock up I guess... One would think you can get from Amazon, but they will not ship to states with ban.. The good news is that there will be a "speciality bulb exception" like our reptile bulbs. Problem is you have to buy the more expensive versions with that designation.. Our country is a bit behind, but places like the UK are well into the ban already! T5 are comming next??

So I have settled on the Arcadia Brand Halogen and Incandescent bulbs and really like them. They have proven to be super durable for me so far and worth the price. Halogen are nice as they put out more heat per watt ,but the regular incandescent floods are nice too IME and seem to cast a wider area of heat albeit less intense so you may have to decrease your basking distances or jump up to the next higher wattage. Petsmart usually has them on the shelves locally, but you can get better pricing from www.LightyourReptiles.com or simular online stores.

Don't knock the orignal poster too much.. not well known but you can actually pair up your Basking bulb with an LED Flood! Crazy talk LOL.. but I've been trying it out now for a few months and my Dragon has really responded well to the combo. Believe it or not the intense visible light from the LED does actually provide some heat too and it also fills some of the light spectrum that is missing from the Basking bulb, which is mostly IRA and IRB. The result is a very bright combo that they really seem to enjoy. If you wanted to try an LED WITH you regular basking spot a good one to try is the SANSI Grow Light Bulb. Amazon runs them on sale quite often. You get a lot of light for the money.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I use led strip lights for extra light, I've had no issues with them. The thing to remember though is that the leds are for visible light only, just to make the habitat beighter. You still have to provide proper basking and uvb.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
I use led strip lights for extra light, I've had no issues with them. The thing to remember though is that the leds are for visible light only, just to make the habitat beighter. You still have to provide proper basking and uvb.
Absolutely.. the best analogy I can think of is lighting is a team sport. Each player has their position and function that works together. I really like the led strips to boost overall lighting levels. I see too many setups that are just so dimly lit compared to their natural environment. Leds help.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Absolutely.. the best analogy I can think of is lighting is a team sport. Each player has their position and function that works together. I really like the led strips to boost overall lighting levels. I see too many setups that are just so dimly lit compared to their natural environment. Leds help.
Exactly

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom