Tail rot

Manan47

Original Poster
Is tail rot I can't tell. Normal tail supposed to be crooked? What is that dark blueish mark seems like a pen mark? Does anyone know?

Attachments

• 20221004_080215.jpg
    20221004_080215.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20221004_080256.jpg
    20221004_080256.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20221004_081122.jpg
    20221004_081122.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20221004_081902.jpg
    20221004_081902.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20221004_081221.jpg
    20221004_081221.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20221004_082144.jpg
    20221004_082144.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 76

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is tail rot I can't tell. Normal tail supposed to be crooked? What is that dark blueish mark seems like a pen mark? Does anyone know?
Looks like it got injured / bit at some point - looks like its going to fall off - you can get some raw honey on it that will stop any infection going on keep an eye on it let it fall off and let it scab over -- do not feed any crickets in the tank when putting honey on the tail --- we can have ahbd take a look as well see if she thinks anything different
@AHBD

Manan47

Original Poster
Looks like it got injured / bit at some point - looks like its going to fall off - you can get some raw honey on it that will stop any infection going on keep an eye on it let it fall off and let it scab over -- do not feed any crickets in the tank when putting honey on the tail --- we can have ahbd take a look as well see if she thinks anything different
@AHBD
I feel like it was a bit like that ever since I got him

Attachments

• 20220907_074613.jpg
    20220907_074613.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220911_145005.jpg
    20220911_145005.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220829_224550.jpg
    20220829_224550.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I feel like it was a bit like that ever since I got him
It is very common for babies to end up w/ bitten tails missing toes etc from the clutch mates in the tank --- please make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and your using NO coils for a UVB -- they are inadequate for a UVB --- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb --- the Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb unless your using a 20 gallon tank now that bulb would be fine till a bigger tank is used -- if you need more help w/ this please ask we can all help on this

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
How long have you had him? Is it dented in the flesh or just feels a bit crooked? The blueish mark actually looks like what a breeder/seller would draw on them for identification. If he hasn't shed his tail when he's with you it'll probably come off next shed. The very end of my beardie's tail has a little crook as well. Just keep an eye on it, make sure it's not a wound or tail rot, and if it spreads up his tail you may need a vet visit.

Manan47

Original Poster
It is very common for babies to end up w/ bitten tails missing toes etc from the clutch mates in the tank --- please make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and your using NO coils for a UVB -- they are inadequate for a UVB --- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb --- the Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb unless your using a 20 gallon tank now that bulb would be fine till a bigger tank is used -- if you need more help w/ this please ask we can all help on this
I am using
I am using the govee thermo/hygrometer. I also have temp gun. I am using t5 10.0 bulb in 36 inch hood. His tank is 120gallon. I had him for about a month and a half. He was 4 months old when I got him. He has a great feeding response. He doesnt like wax worms though. Oh I just started using betadine and neosporin on the affected area.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am using

I am using the govee thermo/hygrometer. I also have temp gun. I am using t5 10.0 bulb in 36 inch hood. His tank is 120gallon. I had him for about a month and a half. He was 4 months old when I got him. He has a great feeding response. He doesnt like wax worms though. Oh I just started using betadine and neosporin on the affected area.
Does the thermo/ hygrometer have a probe on it ? T 5 is good please make sure its in the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- and the betadine and neosporin is good -- the honey will also help keep infection away -- wax worms are very fatty so hes not missing anything w/ not liking them -- my two dragons dont like them either --

Manan47

Original Poster
How long have you had him? Is it dented in the flesh or just feels a bit crooked? The blueish mark actually looks like what a breeder/seller would draw on them for identification. If he hasn't shed his tail when he's with you it'll probably come off next shed. The very end of my beardie's tail has a little crook as well. Just keep an eye on it, make sure it's not a wound or tail rot, and if it spreads up his tail you may need a vet visit.
I had for about a month and a half. They had another mark that was pink you can see it in the second post. He was already shedding. When I got him. He started shedding again his face and tail. It might be dented in the flesh. It just feel a bit squished just a tiny bit. Just that little area. When I touched it a bit some other shed came off. I just started using betadine and neosporin.

Manan47

Original Poster
Does the thermo/ hygrometer have a probe on it ? T 5 is good please make sure its in the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- and the betadine and neosporin is good -- the honey will also help keep infection away -- wax worms are very fatty so hes not missing anything w/ not liking them -- my two dragons dont like them either --
No it doesnt have probe I have two. I can check the consistency. I used to use both. I believe they were consistent but I can try putting them next to each other to see the consistency. What kind of you use. I should be around 10 inches.

Attachments

• 20221004_100935.jpg
    20221004_100935.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221004_100947.jpg
    20221004_100947.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 67

Manan47

Original Poster
No it doesnt have probe I have two. I can check the consistency. I used to use both. I believe they were consistent but I can try putting them next to each other to see the consistency. What kind of you use. I should be around 10 inches.
Kind of thermo/hygrometer do you use?***
It should be****

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Kind of thermo/hygrometer do you use?***
It should be****
Most use the Zoo Med digital probe from Petco or PetSmart or an on line pet store like Chewy / PetMountain or Pangeareptiles -- those stores are cheaper than the big box stores -- the ones you have in the tank are getting ambient temps only --- the probe needs to be placed on the spot where he sits for basking and where hes sitting on top of that hammock is either hes not getting adequate UVB or the basking temp on the hammock is not warm enough - we wont know till you get the probe thermometer --- I would move the hammock over more towards the UVB so hes sitting directly under it --

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
I had for about a month and a half. They had another mark that was pink you can see it in the second post. He was already shedding. When I got him. He started shedding again his face and tail. It might be dented in the flesh. It just feel a bit squished just a tiny bit. Just that little area. When I touched it a bit some other shed came off. I just started using betadine and neosporin.
He might get bitten before you get him then. Just keep the area treated and sanitary so he can heal :) poor little guy! And yeah I agree with Karrie, since the tank is big it can be harder to achieve the right temperature. Get the probes so you can figure out if the basking light is enough for him, and he can heal his tail better 😄

Manan47

Original Poster
Most use the Zoo Med digital probe from Petco or PetSmart or an on line pet store like Chewy / PetMountain or Pangeareptiles -- those stores are cheaper than the big box stores -- the ones you have in the tank are getting ambient temps only --- the probe needs to be placed on the spot where he sits for basking and where hes sitting on top of that hammock is either hes not getting adequate UVB or the basking temp on the hammock is not warm enough - we wont know till you get the probe thermometer --- I would move the hammock over more towards the UVB so hes sitting directly under it --
Oh that's what I use the temp gun for. What i have noticed is that humidity is lower in the basking spot as compare to ambient spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh that's what I use the temp gun for. What i have noticed is that humidity is lower in the basking spot as compare to ambient spot.
Temp guns are inaccurate off of hammocks - the cannot read off of them--- it is normal for the humidity to be lower under / on the basking side --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom