Abused class pet

Rich.com

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Soren
There us this poor beardie at my school that is neglected beyond belief. She has a tiny cage and no UV lamp. From what I have heard and seen, she gets lettuce and a few worms every once in awhile. Her cage is dirty and covered in poop and so is she. She hasn't ever been given a bath and is covered in stuck shed. Her heatlamp is so weak I can physically touch the bulb and not burn myself. She seems to have tail rot and her femoral pores are clogged up. The room she was held in is being rennovated and it was given to another teacher for a week which is where I found out about her. I dont know where I should start??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Im going to confront the teacher tomorrow and see if there is any way that I can obtain and care for the lizard.
See if you can take the lizard home and rescue her -- please come back and tell us if you got her and we can help getting her set up w/ the correct lamps and UVB -- if she has tail rot it may be too late depending on how long the tail rot has been going on and how severe it is---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How sad, it is too bad when this happens which is all too often. Please do try to talk to them to offer
to take her home with you to help her out. It sounds like she is in terrible condition & if she doesn't get
any care soon she wont make it much longer.

Tracie

Smaug123

Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
There us this poor beardie at my school that is neglected beyond belief. She has a tiny cage and no UV lamp. From what I have heard and seen, she gets lettuce and a few worms every once in awhile. Her cage is dirty and covered in poop and so is she. She hasn't ever been given a bath and is covered in stuck shed. Her heatlamp is so weak I can physically touch the bulb and not burn myself. She seems to have tail rot and her femoral pores are clogged up. The room she was held in is being rennovated and it was given to another teacher for a week which is where I found out about her. I dont know where I should start??

Smaug123

Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
PLEASE report this to an animal cruelty, vet or police department. Animal cruelty is against the law. This is unacceptable and the poor baby needs to be removed from that class because the teacher obviously has no clue on beardies. I can't believe it's still living. I can report it for you if you feel too uncomfortable.

Rich.com

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Soren
See if you can take the lizard home and rescue her -- please come back and tell us if you got her and we can help getting her set up w/ the correct lamps and UVB -- if she has tail rot it may be too late depending on how long the tail rot has been going on and how severe it is---
I talked to the teacher today and gave her my spare uvb setup and heat lamp. I then gave the lizard a bath and helped a bit with the stuck shedding. The difference is night and day. I am going to ask for the lizard tomorrow.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am aware of this and still talking to the teacher AND my parents about keeping it. I am going in there during my free period and making sure she has everything she needs and is comfortable
Please tell me what kind of lighting you took in? Basking bulb ? Digital thermometers to get correct surface basking temps? UVB? NO coils please - they go in a dome and are NO good

Rich.com

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Soren
Please tell me what kind of lighting you took in? Basking bulb ? Digital thermometers to get correct surface basking temps? UVB? NO coils please - they go in a dome and are NO good
I know, I have never used a bulb. I am using the Arcadia (I think it was the 12%). I use a halogen heat lamp and one of those handheld thermometers. It is about 102°-105° on her basking spot. Its about 80 on her other side. She has a small cage so its not as cool as it should be. I am gonna build her a cage (4x2x2 dw)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I know, I have never used a bulb. I am using the Arcadia (I think it was the 12%). I use a halogen heat lamp and one of those handheld thermometers. It is about 102°-105° on her basking spot. Its about 80 on her other side. She has a small cage so its not as cool as it should be. I am gonna build her a cage (4x2x2 dw)
The Arcadia is a good bulb -- the distance and placement is going to be determined by the screen on the tank -- fine mesh or a wide hole type -- I would get the surface basking temp down to 95-100 - is she sitting for long periods under the current heat temp? what size is the tank? cool side should be 80ish -- please get two digital probe thermometers -- they are the most accurate for temps

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were you able to take her home yet? I'm glad to hear you are using the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb. Is it the T5 high output bulb or the regular one?
As Karrie suggested, try to get the digital probe thermometers, or a temp gun along with a digital probe. The basking & overall temperatures are crucial for her health.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom