Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
If your beardie is less then a year old then you need to cut off the heads of the worms. And cut them in half. Young beardies have a hard time digesting super worms.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
How large is your dragon? It's recommended that your dragon be 16 inches long before they eat superworms because by that size the kink in their digestive system has straightened out and they are less prone to impaction from the shell. If he is large enough, then yes, superworms are fine as a staple food, although it is always good to add in other types of bugs for variety when possible. No need to cut up the worms - if your dragon is healthy and the right size, then he'll chew them up on his own just fine.

vampy

Juvie Member
As well as the above post about making sure he is large enough, it also depends on how old he is. If he's an adult and on an 80% veggies diet, then 5 supers a day will give him enough protein, so you can use them as his only live feeder. If he's still young enough to need more protein, it's not a good idea to give more supers than this, as they have a relatively high fat content, so you shouldn't feed more than 5 or 6 a day, and make up the rest of his protein from other sources. If he doesn't like crickets you could try dubias or silkworms.

Jesislas65

Original Poster
He's not 16" and is about a month old maybe and he just doesn't seem interested in crickets anymore but ill try them again to see if he'll eat them any suggestions of what else to feed him

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't feed superworms at that age, I wouldn't even consider it.

Other options would be silkworms, butterworms, phoenix/repti/calci worms (BSFL), dubia roaches, even small hornworms are an option.

You should vary the diet up, don't just feed one insect, feed a few different ones.

-Brandon

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Jesislas65":3o2gyu8t said:
He's not 16" and is about a month old maybe and he just doesn't seem interested in crickets anymore but ill try them again to see if he'll eat them any suggestions of what else to feed him

At only a month old, he's too young and small for superworms. As mentioned by the other poster, silkworms, pheonix worms, butter worms and small horn worms are all possible options - although those are all more expensive options than crickets.

Jesislas65

Original Poster
Regarding the super worms and bearded dragon size how do you know if your dragon is big enough if half of his tail is missing

Kates

My beardie is about 3 months old and is 8.5" long. I fed him a superworm and I haven't seen him eat a cricket sense. He looks at then but then just goes back to basking.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Jesislas65":3gwaaou2 said:
Regarding the super worms and bearded dragon size how do you know if your dragon is big enough if half of his tail is missing
If he's only a month old, he's way too young and small for supers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom