8 month bearded dragon refuses to eat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yea he's at 350 grams and staying pretty much right there and it's a reptizoo basking bulb
What was he weighing before ? Not familiar w/ Reptizoo basking bulbs just the UVB ones and they are not of good quality -- you can try changing the basking bulb out to a solid clear bright white bulb examples are Flukers basking --- Exo Terra Intense -- Arcadia Halogen -- pet mountain carries the Flukers -- they are the most reasonable -

Jeffvan

Original Poster
What was he weighing before ? Not familiar w/ Reptizoo basking bulbs just the UVB ones and they are not of good quality -- you can try changing the basking bulb out to a solid clear bright white bulb examples are Flukers basking --- Exo Terra Intense -- Arcadia Halogen -- pet mountain carries the Flukers -- they are the most reasonable -
He was only 5 grams heavier then now he doesn't look skinny or anything to me just puzzled how I can't get him to eat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
With the way it was set up has not changed and had him since a baby was fine never had a problem but has just gone on this week long hunger strike so if the conditions were not right wouldn't he had a problem before this it's weird
Could be but we dont want him losing weight --- there is a issue if he is -- what bugs are you feeding? Has he ever been tested for parasites? Too many of them will cause lack of eating / appetite loss-- what was his poop looking like before he quit eating -runny smelling so bad you couldnt be in the same room or you could smell it out of the room? - usually they will go off their food and not eat as much but not to just completely quit eating --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He was only 5 grams heavier then now he doesn't look skinny or anything to me just puzzled how I can't get him to eat
5 grams isnt much ---- I would keep an eye on it but we need him to eat so you can get a poop sample in for testing --- NO enemas from the vet --- not sure why hes not eating unless its the basking bulb -- guess I would change it out - we need to try and rule out cheaper causes first w/ out a vet visit --

Jeffvan

Original Poster
Could be but we dont want him losing weight --- there is a issue if he is -- what bugs are you feeding? Has he ever been tested for parasites? Too many of them will cause lack of eating / appetite loss-- what was his poop looking like before he quit eating -runny smelling so bad you couldnt be in the same room or you could smell it out of the room? - usually they will go off their food and not eat as much but not to just completely quit eating --
I'm feeding him Dubai roaches dusted with calcium and his poop was solid I mean it's poop yea it smelled lol but only when I got close to the tank to clean it up and no he has not been tested for parasites and btw I appreciate the help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm feeding him Dubai roaches dusted with calcium and his poop was solid I mean it's poop yea it smelled lol but only when I got close to the tank to clean it up and no he has not been tested for parasites and btw I appreciate the help
Ok so more than likely no parasites then -- usually its really runny and smell so bad you cant be in the same room-- have you tried changing his diet up ? Like offering silk worms or BSFL for a staple ? I would suggest crickets but I dont like them they stink and can cause parasites that is why I asked about the insect-- are you using regular calcium NO phosphate? Or one w/ D3? What kind of greens are you feeding? W/ everything on par and after we rule out lighting etc its got to be just him ---- I would change out the basking bulb tho -- you dont want yellowish bulbs or off white or Daytime bulbs for basking -- hes not going to starve himself -- maybe AHBD can chime in here and see what she thinks --

Jeffvan

Original Poster
I rotate between the d3 calcium and the calcium with out d3 cause heard too much d3 can be bad also and mostly he gets fresh collard greens.ok I will try a different basking bulb but I have used this brand since he was a baby and he was fine but maybe he doesn't like it now lol not sure I will give it a try and see what happens thanks for your help just very stressful when he won't eat then I have to remind myself he is a reptile and can go longer periods with out food then other animals and still be fine just trying to do my best for him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I rotate between the d3 calcium and the calcium with out d3 cause heard too much d3 can be bad also and mostly he gets fresh collard greens.ok I will try a different basking bulb but I have used this brand since he was a baby and he was fine but maybe he doesn't like it now lol not sure I will give it a try and see what happens thanks for your help just very stressful when he won't eat then I have to remind myself he is a reptile and can go longer periods with out food then other animals and still be fine just trying to do my best for him
He only needs the D3 once a week - the other feedings the regular calcium

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks like your lighting is good, as well as the supplementation schedule too. His physical condition
appears fine, to me. He doesn't look ill, & his eyes look alert. He has a very sweet face.
It is a possibilty he might be going into a slowdown phase, or brumation. It sounds odd but sometimes
they do go into brumation in spring & summertime though it might not be a long phase.
As long as he isn't losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. You could get a fecal done, just to be sure
there isn't anything else going on with him to cause a loss of appetite.

Tracie

Jeffvan

Original Poster
Hello,

It looks like your lighting is good, as well as the supplementation schedule too. His physical condition
appears fine, to me. He doesn't look ill, & his eyes look alert. He has a very sweet face.
It is a possibilty he might be going into a slowdown phase, or brumation. It sounds odd but sometimes
they do go into brumation in spring & summertime though it might not be a long phase.
As long as he isn't losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. You could get a fecal done, just to be sure
there isn't anything else going on with him to cause a loss of appetite.

Tracie
Yes he appears to be fine to me also I might give him alittle longer as long as he doesn't lose weight and then if still won't eat I will get the fecal done I didn't think the went into brumation till after they were a year old or can they do it earlier then that

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is somewhat common for them to go into brumation before the age of 1. The norm usually is over a
year but there are a good number of them that go in under the age of 1 especially if they are healthy.
You know him & his behavior better than we do so just be sure he remains healthy so he is well hydrated
in case he does want to rest here & there.

Tracie

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
My dragon went into brumation at age 9 - 10 months. Just a 3-week brumation. He's quite big and heavy (470 g; length I can't say exactly but he's not overweight), healthy and has always been healthy. He's now back and behaving typically post-brumation, so I can be pretty sure it was brumation and not that he was sick. During that time, he didn't really sleep during day but rested with half-closed eyes in his cave, and came out for a few minutes on some days but not on all. He refused to eat for a bit more than 3 weeks.
He's now back and is eating, pooping (normal poops, first one was 2 days after he was out of his cave for most of the day), running (not walking - running ;)) and super active.

If all the parameters of the setup are ok (looks like they are from what was posted) and the dragon has been healthy so far and has a good weight, I also would not worry.

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
Did you ever change the UVB light from the Reptizoo to another brand for a better quality UVB
exposure?
I hope his weight is stable, that is a good indicator of health. let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Jeffvan

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
Did you ever change the UVB light from the Reptizoo to another brand for a better quality UVB
exposure?
I hope his weight is stable, that is a good indicator of health. let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Yea I did change the bulb he still really is not eating will pick at his greens alittle the only way I can get him to eat is to hold him and put the food by his mouth and he will take it every once and a while

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yea I did change the bulb he still really is not eating will pick at his greens alittle the only way I can get him to eat is to hold him and put the food by his mouth and he will take it every once and a while
He is eating thats good - please keep a weight on him --- is he eating insects?

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom