Stuck shed on tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martian

So since I've had my beardie, his tail has been miscolored or not matching his body the beardie has shed a couple of times and his tail has remained this color. Sorry for the bad pic, but any insight? Is this just his normal tail color?
IMG_20151124_195545328.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't worry too much about that bit of unshed tail, likely it'll loosen up and come off in pieces over the next couple of weeks or with the next shed.

Martian

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2es16rwr said:
I wouldn't worry too much about that bit of unshed tail, likely it'll loosen up and come off in pieces over the next couple of weeks or with the next shed.
I still shouldn't worry even though it's been that way since I got him 6 weeks ago? I do mist him occasionally and soak him about twice a week for 15 mins each time. I just figured it should've come off by now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you don't see signs that it's cutting off circulation to any areas of the tail I'd just let it be and it will eventually loosen up on it's own. Sometimes the shed cycles take a while depending on how quickly growth is happening under the old skin.

Martian

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1iohas78 said:
As long as you don't see signs that it's cutting off circulation to any areas of the tail I'd just let it be and it will eventually loosen up on it's own. Sometimes the shed cycles take a while depending on how quickly growth is happening under the old skin.
Ok, good to know. Thanks very much! What signs should I keep an eye out for? Blackening I would assume? Just not quite sure what else I should watch for. Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Look for areas that start to look constricted or like they're shriveling. If colors change abruptly rather than gradually it may indicate an issue as well (aside from the abrupt lightening where the shed starts).

Martian

Original Poster
If you look closely you can see a ring around a small section of his tail. Does that look constricted? Now I'm worried he's going to lose it from there back.
IMG_20151125_160554343_HDR.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are the constrictions I was mentioning. Try applying some plain aloe to the area regularly and see if that helps loosen it. I would also pick up some manuka honey to have on hand. It can be used to protect and help prevent infection in the area if it falls off and an open wound appears. If this happens just keep the area clean and it should heal over without much problem.

Martian

Original Poster
I'm heading to the store to get some aloe very soon. I'll also see if they carry the manuka honey. What are the odds of saving the tail? Are there any other beneficial treatments that are worth trying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom