Strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Anyone ever notice their beardie with their mouth open looking up towards their light? Could it mean its too hot? :shock:

I just seen my Brian exibiting this behaviour and i took him out of the aquarium and gave him a soak just in case.

Taegrin

Hahah, Archaeon does it; don't worry!
It's called gaping, and they do it when they're overheating. If your temps are good (80 — 90 ambient temperate in the hot zone, 70 — 80 in the cool zone, with a temperature right at the basking spot of between 100 — 110, all values in Fahrenheit) and he definitely has a heat gradient, then it's perfectly fine and if he's too hot he'll move elsewhere to cool down.

If he's making a popping noise, though, you might want to keep an eye on him because it might mean a respiratory disease. Also, if he seems to be panting or if it's constant it COULD be too hot.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, yep. He's gaping. Hot side should be 90-110 cool side about 80-85. yep, popping noise could be respiratory infection.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No, no sounds at all, thankfully. Just open mouthed for a few seconds. He just did it again but now hes fine...I was thinking it maybe meant he wasnt feeling very well because he just ate 3 crickets. But dont they NEED the heat to digest properly?
If i hear anything at all its vet time, but for now...just a sudden gaping that stops seconds later. I was just worried.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As a matter of fact, now he seems to be edging his head closer to the light, nose pointing right up...Im confused...lol

Who knew beardies could be so perplexing lol

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I almost never see my beardie gaping in his viv, but everytime we are outside in real sunlight, he gapes within minutes.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
BrownEyes87":7a213 said:
your baby in your small side pic is nearly identical to mine!! :love10:

In my signature line sleeping and the headshot by my screen name. That's our Mango. He's a cutie. I am away from home at a conference right now and he was ready to shed at any moment when I left. I spoke to my Mom today (who was baby sitting kids and Mango) and she said that his legs and whole body shed within hours. The only thing left is his head. She said it looks weird because his body is so bright and colorful.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
gregorydragon":d0912 said:
BrownEyes87":d0912 said:
your baby in your small side pic is nearly identical to mine!! :love10:

In my signature line sleeping and the headshot by my screen name. That's our Mango. He's a cutie. I am away from home at a conference right now and he was ready to shed at any moment when I left. I spoke to my Mom today (who was baby sitting kids and Mango) and she said that his legs and whole body shed within hours. The only thing left is his head. She said it looks weird because his body is so bright and colorful.

Mango lol Cute name
Mines Brian 8)

How old is Mango? Do baby beardies shed aswell?...

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
haleygirl272":77440 said:
He looks like my Peakin who passed away. :cry:

I'm very sorry to hear about Peakin. I clicked on a link in your sig line. Did this just happen in September? :( :cry:
I hope Zinger can bring some joy for you.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
BrownEyes87":37ed8 said:
Mango lol Cute name
Mines Brian 8)

A pet named "Brian" makes me think of the dog from family guy :lol: . That's funny!
I don't know the exact hatch date, but Mango was born during the first week of July (around the 4th) so I just say that he was born on the fourth of July. This makes him barely 3 months old. I have had him for 4 weeks. His breeder said that he was the only one from his clutch that she felt was big enough to sell at the time. Baby BDs definitely shed. This is a good sign. It lets us know they are growing. This is a time of rapid growth for them so they should shed regularly. You may first notice that their color starts to fade. Next thing you know, they have skin hanging off of them. It is a bit uncomfortable for them and probably a bit itchy. I bathe him at least every other day and sometimes everyday especially when he looks like he needs to shed. Bathing also help with hydration because they will usually drink some of the water. Sometimes they poop to so give them fresh water when this happens.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
gregorydragon":32689 said:
BrownEyes87":32689 said:
Mango lol Cute name
Mines Brian 8)

A pet named "Brian" makes me think of the dog from family guy :lol: . That's funny!
I don't know the exact hatch date, but Mango was born during the first week of July (around the 4th) so I just say that he was born on the fourth of July. This makes him barely 3 months old. I have had him for 4 weeks. His breeder said that he was the only one from his clutch that she felt was big enough to sell at the time. Baby BDs definitely shed. This is a good sign. It lets us know they are growing. This is a time of rapid growth for them so they should shed regularly. You may first notice that their color starts to fade. Next thing you know, they have skin hanging off of them. It is a bit uncomfortable for them and probably a bit itchy. I bathe him at least every other day and sometimes everyday especially when he looks like he needs to shed. Bathing also help with hydration because they will usually drink some of the water. Sometimes they poop to so give them fresh water when this happens.

Ya mine i think is a tad bit younger then yours, yours looks to be a tiny bit meatier - mines is on the skinny side. Hes only had 3 crickets today and some lettuce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom