Normal.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Do boys open their mouths when trying to appear bigger to another boy.? (No hissing involved) nubby was sitting in the cool side, but he was a little warm. Not overly toasty or anything. Anyways I took him out and immediately, toothless started showing his ass in his tank and Nubby crawled up my leg -- more like wiggled up it -- and Everytime toothless runs back and forth to head bob, nubby wiggles his tail, puffs up and just opens his mouth a little bit for a few seconds and then closes it. Is he just as weird as I think he is.? He isn't showing any symptoms of anything, aside from being territorial and wanting to mate. πŸ˜…

Attachments

• 20231128_140408.jpg
    20231128_140408.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231128_140356.jpg
    20231128_140356.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 43

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Well if he's being weird, mine is too.
Luis did this at the vet last time or when he was on the balcony and I just grabbed him from behind to take him in (my bad, I know).
No black beard, just puffs up and opens his mouth....

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Luis did this at the vet last time or when he was on the balcony and I just grabbed him from behind to take him in (my bad, I know).
I think it's just a quirk/attempt to make themselves look bigger. Nubby does the open mouth thing when he isnt too hot occasionally but only when he's in a Mexican stand off with Toothless.

They're so darn weird.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Also, I love the color of your leatherback, especially your profile photo with the black beard. πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Snickers used to do that, i always got a kick outta it.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Also, I love the color of your leatherback, especially your profile photo with the black beard. πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
He's sleeping right now but I will tell him later, thank you :)
IMG_20231111_140346.jpg

He is showing that black beard really readily. He will fall asleep on my lap but he will puff up an hiss at my brother πŸ˜‚ Gotta love it when they have a personality and a preference for certain people. My mum gets black bearded at as well but no hissing anymore.

Nubby is a pretty boy as well! How old is he btw?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He's sleeping right now but I will tell him later, thank you :)
View attachment 85622
He is showing that black beard really readily. He will fall asleep on my lap but he will puff up an hiss at my brother πŸ˜‚ Gotta love it when they have a personality and a preference for certain people. My mum gets black bearded at as well but no hissing anymore.

Nubby is a pretty boy as well! How old is he btw?

That's so silly how they prefer one person over the other. Our girl, nova, loves both me and my boyfriend but runs to my boyfriend more often while toothless and Nubby are momma's boys. πŸ˜… Nubby is about... 10 months and it's like they ran out of ink. His body is red and orange and his head and front feet are a yellow/greenn. πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Luis is 13 months, so him and Nubby are both about to hit maturity soon. I'm curious as to how they will behave come spring time :)

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Luis is 13 months, so him and Nubby are both about to hit maturity soon. I'm curious as to how they will behave come spring time :)
Well, about a week ago, nubby passed his first sperm plug. Which is odd because Toothless is 17 months and hasn't passed one yet. But Nubby desperately wants Nova and headbobs c o n s t a n t l y. He's ready to mate, or he thinks he is anyway. πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Well, about a week ago, nubby passed his first sperm plug. Which is odd because Toothless is 17 months and hasn't passed one yet. But Nubby desperately wants Nova and headbobs c o n s t a n t l y. He's ready to mate, or he thinks he is anyway. πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Sounds like you got yourself a typical teenage boy 🀣
Luis has been brumating for almost two months now and has not shown any signs of that. He's also rather small for his age though...

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Sounds like you got yourself a typical teenage boy 🀣
Luis has been brumating for almost two months now and has not shown any signs of that. He's also rather small for his age though...
You know, nubby was super super tiny when I got him at like two months in March and then he got really big and just stopped and seems skinny as heck but isn't loosing weight. He's missing his two back feet and the last quarter of his tail so he's only like 18ish inches, if that, and weighs about 530g. But he seems so small and skinny.

I think one of our girls is trying to brumate. For a few months, shes been barely eating, like maybe a worm a week, one every two and spends most of her day laying/hiding/sleeping under her log, like within ten minutes of turning her light on, she crawls out from her bed and goes to hide. But if I pull her out to bask, she'll stay there for a little bit. It's so weird, at first she went weeks refusing food and the vet thought she had some form of respiratory issue, but had no symptoms. Then when we brought her back two weeks ago, they just told us "she's weird". 😐 I hope she isn't trying to brumate, my anxiety couldnt help it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beardies are a LOT of fun, that's why we love them and they are probably the # 1 pet reptile. :)
The thing with males is that they almost all have a natural instinct to fight or mate when they see another beardie. So allowing him to see your other dragon is causing constant stress, to the dragon is anything BUT fun. The fact that he hisses at other people is also showing that it's under a lot of stress. Is there a way you can keep your dragons out of each others sight ?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Beardies are a LOT of fun, that's why we love them and they are probably the # 1 pet reptile. :)
The thing with males is that they almost all have a natural instinct to fight or mate when they see another beardie. So allowing him to see your other dragon is causing constant stress, to the dragon is anything BUT fun. The fact that he hisses at other people is also showing that it's under a lot of stress. Is there a way you can keep your dragons out of each others sight ?
None of mine hiss at anyone or even each other, nubby has never hissed since we've had him. He just opens his mouth then closes it. We're typically pretty good at keeping the offending lizard covered when we have one out but Toothless will still run back and forth and headbob, even though he can't see. It's like he's learned that being covered means another lizard is coming out. And Nubby reacts, even though he can't see Toothless. Toothless is the only one we have to cover if any of the others come out and we have to cover everyone else if Toothless comes out. Sounds like the boy is the common denominator here πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. πŸ˜”
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom