I just need any opinions Please

So I rescued my Flare 5 years ago now, and she has been the most amazing pet that I have ever had the pleasure of having. About a month ago I started to notice she just was not eating quite as much as she used to. She never changed her behavior so I just chalked it up to her getting older and the weather cooling down. So fast forward to 2 days ago and we decided it was time for the vet. The vet took Xrays yesterday and this is what she came back with.
Screenshot_20231103_182542_Gallery.jpg

This is the first thing I have ever posted on the internet, and I did it so that I can ask you fellow beardie lovers if you have ever gotten xrays like this and what the vet told you it was. I was told it was cancer, and obviously I am in shock. I dont know what to do, I dont want to lose her, but I also dont want her to be in pain. Please anyone out there that can help in any way with information or anything I would appreciate it very much. Thank you

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im not sure what they think is cancerous, this is a pic of one of my girls for comparison.
I'll flag Tracie also, she is a vet tech @Drache613

Attachments

• 1.2.840.1136982022093011374992449.37.jpg
    1.2.840.1136982022093011374992449.37.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 49

FlareBear123

Original Poster
I would appreciate it. I was kind of in shock when the vet told me and then showed me the picture so honestly I dont know if it was the upper part, or both parts that were supposed to be cancerous. She hasnt been eating and has lost so much weight though so all of that fit when she said it. I thought it was impaction, but she has been making bm's at least once or twice a week the whole time.

The vet was so sure I didnt ask if there were any tests that could be done to confirm. Now I am questioning that decision.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a uvb ? Coil or long tube fixture? Surface basking temps-- what are they how are you taking them?

FlareBear123

Original Poster
I have a 120w mercury vapor bulb for UV+Basking which I have used for her entire life, I replace them every 6 months. Her basking spot is between 90-100 measured with an infared spot thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a 120w mercury vapor bulb for UV+Basking which I have used for her entire life, I replace them every 6 months. Her basking spot is between 90-100 measured with an infared spot thermometer.
What is the brand of MVB and do you have a back up UVB ?

FlareBear123

Original Poster
The zoo-med power sun UV is what I have always used. If you mean backup as in another UV bulb setup along with that then no I do not. I always have a backup bulb in case that one goes out though. I have always had the same setup for the 5 years I have had her. She has always eaten her food and been active and vibrant, so I never would have thought anything was abnormal. Everything changed about a month ago like someone flipped a light switch.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The zoo-med power sun UV is what I have always used. If you mean backup as in another UV bulb setup along with that then no I do not. I always have a backup bulb in case that one goes out though. I have always had the same setup for the 5 years I have had her. She has always eaten her food and been active and vibrant, so I never would have thought anything was abnormal. Everything changed about a month ago like someone flipped a light switch.
She needs another UVB Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb - Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% 24 watt bulb found at Pet Smart or a Sunblaser Nano Tech found on Hydrobuilders website bulb needs to be replaced w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- it can take a long time for symptoms to show up -- please get one right away I recommend a 24 " fixture --- MVB's do not put out enough UVB and if the distance is too far away its only giving good heat amounts and very little UVB --

FlareBear123

Original Poster
I will go get one tomorrow. What i dont get is why the vet says cancer? Can anyone help that make sense based on the xray i posted. Thats the xray i was shown when being told this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will go get one tomorrow. What i dont get is why the vet says cancer? Can anyone help that make sense based on the xray i posted. Thats the xray i was shown when being told this.
One of the posters above has flagged Tracie our vet tech mod on this forum

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It could be. Did the vet do a blood test ? Because the blood glucose levels are usually super high [ not just a little ] when a beardie has a tumor growing.

FlareBear123

Original Poster
I see now in doing research about the glucose levels in the blood being a good indicator for it actually being cancer. The vet did not suggest any other tests, and at that moment I did not realize that was a thing or I would have had her do it right away. I will call them as soon as they open and try to get her in ASAP to get that done.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
What wattage MVB do you use and what's it recommended distance?
Most testing shows that MVBs put out quite a lot of UVB as opposed to standard coils. Disadvantage is they only get the UVB when they are basking and if they are too close to the bulb they could actually get to much UVB.

FlareBear123

Original Poster
I use a 120w bulb and Its recommended distance is 18" which she sits at almost exactly 18" from the light at the highest point that she can get. I went through all of this stuff with the vet and her tank setup is exactly what it should be. All I am asking is does this xray image look like cancer to anyone that has gone through this before with their beardie.

I apologize, I am not trying to come off as rude or anything. I have been scouring the internet looking at xray images of cancer in all different types of animals to confirm this looks like what the vet says it is. I cant seem to find any good images that say yes this is exactly what cancer looks like in beardie. I dont even know what I am going to do with that information. The vet cant get me in until monday to do blood to confirm 100%, and I felt bad because I got rude with them for not suggesting I get it done while I was there. Im a wreck, shes my friend and I love her so damn much. I am glad there are people on here that can relate though to what I am going through. Thank you all for any help you try to provide. I really appreciate it

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I use a 120w bulb and Its recommended distance is 18" which she sits at almost exactly 18" from the light at the highest point that she can get. I went through all of this stuff with the vet and her tank setup is exactly what it should be. All I am asking is does this xray image look like cancer to anyone that has gone through this before with their beardie.
I flagged Tracie to this post --- I will flag her again and she has more experience w/ reading X rays and cancer --- w/ the MVB at 18 " she is not getting adequate UVB -- please get another one as mentioned earlier -- the farther away from the basking spot the lower the UVB rays w/ a MVB
@Drache613

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom