Beardie acring weird

Mmera

Okay my beardie is named Ozzy about 5 months old and we got him about a month ago. Is enclosure is setup pretty well I think. I temp gage and have a hydrometer next to his water to make sure it is not too humid. He eats normally and poops everyday and he would spend most of his day basking and would almost never use his hide. Now it seems he's in his hide most of the time and sometimes with his mouth open a little. Today wr got home and found him in his hide and he had pooped in there and was dirty on it. I gave him a soak to clean him up. We have 2 cats and one looks at him but it hasn't ever bothered Ozzy before. He eats from my hands and is normally not very shy although he is still getting used to us and his home. I am just concerned about why he is all of a sudden hiding so much. Nothing has changed at least not as far as I've noticed. Please help with any advise! I tried doing tons of research before getting him and tried to set up his enclosure just right to give him the best life and now I am stressing there is something wrong. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• 20231024_110945.jpg
    20231024_110945.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231024_110955.jpg
    20231024_110955.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231024_111007.jpg
    20231024_111007.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231024_111109.jpg
    20231024_111109.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231024_111122.jpg
    20231024_111122.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 43

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the temperatures in your tank and what are you measuring them with? A digital thermometer with probe end?

Keeping the mouth open is typically one of two things, thermoregulation, or a defensive tactic.

It's possible your dragon is freaking out by your cats. Lizards are hardwired to see cats are predators, and realistically, they are. So it would be very natural for your dragon to be freaked out by your cats.

-Brandon

Mmera

Original Poster
What are the temperatures in your tank and what are you measuring them with? A digital thermometer with probe end?

Keeping the mouth open is typically one of two things, thermoregulation, or a defensive tactic.

It's possible your dragon is freaking out by your cats. Lizards are hardwired to see cats are predators, and realistically, they are. So it would be very natural for your dragon to be freaked out by your cats.

-Brandon
Thanks so much for your response! Basking temp is at 100 and with a digital thermometer. And I would think so too but he's seen the cats many times so far and has never seemed bothered by them. And when he's been hiding the cats are usually outside or nowhere around

Mmera

Original Poster
And he does open his mouth occasionally but most of the time he's just like this looking out. It's only been like this maybe the last 3-4 days at most. The rest of the time we've had him he's always out basking
20231031_155310.jpg

Mmera

Original Poster

-Brandon
Also this os the digital temp gun we have

Attachments

• 20231031_155525.jpg
    20231031_155525.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231031_155522.jpg
    20231031_155522.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 39

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does the digital thermometer have a probe end, or is it an IR thermometer (point and shoot)?

If temperatures are good, it's possible the cats spooked him, or something else in the room spooked him. He should come around eventually as long as your husbandry is up to par.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, I saw your post after I just posted my last one, ha.

So I would recommend getting a digital with probe end thermometer. They are relatively cheap and easy to find anywhere, but your petstore will definitively have them.

IR thermometers like that sometimes have issues giving you a proper reading if they are measuring a surface they are not calibrated on. A digital with probe end doesn't have this issue, and it has the benefit of confirming that your IR thermometer is measuring your surface accurately.

For peace of mind, I'd strongly suggest getting the thermometer suggested just to confirm your enclosure isn't actually too hot.

-Brandon

Mmera

Original Poster
Okay thanks I'll make sure to get one of those. His enclosure is an upcycled TV stand and the whole front is screens to keep fresh air going in. His baskimg spot where he used to spend most of his time before he started hiding is 88 degrees. Besides possible too hot Temps. Can you think of anything else it could possible be? Just want to cover all grounds. He was perfectly fine and seemed to be doing well before he started hiding a few days ago. Other than that he eats his bugs and actually eats his veggies and poops every day. I have a mat flooring currently so I can clean up as soon as I see anything. I really appreciate your advise and help in trying to get this figured out. It's funny because I've been doing research for like a year before I got little dude and now I don't know what the heck I did wrong lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay thanks I'll make sure to get one of those. His enclosure is an upcycled TV stand and the whole front is screens to keep fresh air going in. His baskimg spot where he used to spend most of his time before he started hiding is 88 degrees. Besides possible too hot Temps. Can you think of anything else it could possible be? Just want to cover all grounds. He was perfectly fine and seemed to be doing well before he started hiding a few days ago. Other than that he eats his bugs and actually eats his veggies and poops every day. I have a mat flooring currently so I can clean up as soon as I see anything. I really appreciate your advise and help in trying to get this figured out. It's funny because I've been doing research for like a year before I got little dude and now I don't know what the heck I did wrong lol.
I dont think you did anything wrong however the 88 degree temp for surface basking is not hot enough - for him it should be 105-110 for a 6 month and younger--- anything age over 6 months 95-100-- you want cool side around 80ish -- temps in the middle of the tank around 90's or so

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you think of anything else it could possible be?
Well, its always best to rule out the easiest thing first, and work your way through them one at a time. At this point, easiest thing to do is to pick up one of those thermometers (should be around 10 bucks) and verify all your temperatures in your tank. Let the probe sit in each spot you want to measure for 5-10 minutes to get a good reading.

If your temperatures are all within spec after testing them with a known accurate device, then we know that your husbandry should be fine so the issue lies with something outside of the enclosure (the cats) or hes becoming a grumpy beardie who is finally just now settling into his home.

You've only had him for a month, he's likely been going through some type of relocation stress for the time you've had him. He might just now be starting to get over his "flight" response and transitioning into his "fight" response to his new environment. If this is the case, he should settle in eventually :)

But make sure the temps are proper first.

-Brandon

Mmera

Original Poster
Well, its always best to rule out the easiest thing first, and work your way through them one at a time. At this point, easiest thing to do is to pick up one of those thermometers (should be around 10 bucks) and verify all your temperatures in your tank. Let the probe sit in each spot you want to measure for 5-10 minutes to get a good reading.

If your temperatures are all within spec after testing them with a known accurate device, then we know that your husbandry should be fine so the issue lies with something outside of the enclosure (the cats) or hes becoming a grumpy beardie who is finally just now settling into his home.

You've only had him for a month, he's likely been going through some type of relocation stress for the time you've had him. He might just now be starting to get over his "flight" response and transitioning into his "fight" response to his new environment. If this is the case, he should settle in eventually :)

But make sure the temps are proper first.

-Brandon
Okay will do and thanks so much. I forgot to mention when he hides he also scratches a lot too. I can usually coax him out with some food and I can give him some head pets and he seems to enjoy it then once I close the door and leave after a little while it's back into his hide. It's just weird for him to seem so calm and chill for the time we've had him and now all of a sudden he's stressing. I mean we haven't had him that long so maybe he always was stressing and we just didn't realize it. I'll make sure to check the Temps with a better thermometer and again I really appreciate your responses and advise! I'll admit I was freaking out a little lol so thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom