SOS quick response needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeesnob

female 15months has laid her first clutch but is having difficulty with what i think is the last egg. she has been straining for the past hour but cant pass it - i can see the bulge. is there anything i can do to help her!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Put a wee bit of vaseline on her vent, then put her in a warm bath. If that doesn't work and she continues to struggle and especially if she develops a black beard and looks listless, get her to an exotics vet. They may administer a shot of Oxytocin to help the egg to pass.

coffeesnob

Original Poster
thanks so much :D she has managed to pass it unaided. I have been told that BD do not breed untill they are 2 years old so i guess i was misinformed :banghead:

we are going to re-home our male to solve the problem- I got them when they were really young but have no plans to become a breeder.

what are the chances that she is storing sperm? and if she is how long will it be before she lays another clutch?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., glad to hear that it turned out alright. ! And as for them breeding at 2 years old, that is the age some breeders recommend to purposely put dragons together to be bred. That's to give the female time to achieve full size. But a female can develop eggs sometime before they are even a year old and produce infertile eggs WITHOUT a male or fertile eggs WITH a male.

She can store sperm and possibly produce another 1-4 clutches [ probably the lower end of that estimate ] and can do so every 3-4 weeks. At times they can produce even more, but usually not in their first breeding as a younger dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom