Snout bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1wi5dvmo said:
T 5 how old is it? Decor piece needs to be put under it if its more that 15 inches above him - is there a reflector on that fixture the UVB is in - its behind the bulb and its shiny like aluminum tin foil-- if that bulb is a year old or getting close to it it needs to be replaced - also he needs to be able to escape those UVB rays if he wants to- we dont usually recommend a fixture the whole length of the tank - take that piece out that is giving off heat -- he doesnt need it -- you need a bright basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 for him -- is the heat thing mat thing above him or on the floor of the tank?
Karrie

We replaced the T5 in March so it should still be okay. The white heat mat is above him. There isn’t a place to put a basking light because it is solid at the top of the tank. The mat I posted it supposed to serve as that. Yes, there is reflectors behind the UVB.

These are the different thermometers we have. The two rectangular ones are on each side of the tank.

108848-1963374797.jpg
108848-9805269180.jpg
108848-7924902946.jpg
108848-5044665672.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does that have a probe on the end that your getting a temp? And where is it sitting at ? It needs to be on his basking spot for a temp -- the humidity is good they say 30-40% is good - gauge should be in the middle of the tank back wall -- did you look at the UVB bulb?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a bright white basking bulb IT IS IMPERATIVE for your dragon to survive --- they need to have their environment to mimic outside as if they were in the wild ---- you need to get rid of the top of that tank and replace it or leave it open --- he needs basking temps not ambient temps to be 95-110 for proper digestion of food - the bright white bulb starts that process --- your UVB is good measure the distance from bulb to floor go from there but he needs to be under it approx 12-15 inches --- the 90's is good for middle of the tank --- let me know what you decide to do -- who ever built that tank should of known a bright white bulb is necessary for dragons --- not a heat mat --- they did not do their research --- please do something soon he will only last so long w/ out a basking bulb
Karrie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":601g184u said:
You need a bright white basking bulb IT IS IMPERATIVE for your dragon to survive --- they need to have their environment to mimic outside as if they were in the wild ---- you need to get rid of the top of that tank and replace it or leave it open --- he needs basking temps not ambient temps to be 95-110 for proper digestion of food - the bright white bulb starts that process --- your UVB is good measure the distance from bulb to floor go from there but he needs to be under it approx 12-15 inches --- the 90's is good for middle of the tank --- let me know what you decide to do -- who ever built that tank should of known a bright white bulb is necessary for dragons --- not a heat mat --- they did not do their research --- please do something soon he will only last so long w/ out a basking bulb
Karrie

Wow, I appreciate your input. Are you surprised he has lasted over two years in this set up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep ---- amazed but they are hardy creatures and go thru alot of pain etc ----- what does his poops look like --- ? We have had people that have come here w/ just using CHE's they emit heat no light similar to what your using yeah their dragons didnt make it ---
Karrie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fqf6ioh said:
Yep ---- amazed but they are hardy creatures and go thru alot of pain etc ----- what does his poops look like --- ? We have had people that have come here w/ just using CHE's they emit heat no light similar to what your using yeah their dragons didnt make it ---
Karrie

I think his poop looks like it’s supposed to... sometimes more solid, sometimes a little looser, depending on what he’s eating, with the urate visible. He only poops about twice a week, almost always when he is bathed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well that is good to be honest I am surprised hes eating at all --- please do what you can w/ the tank and get it in the correct environment that he needs ---
Karrie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ctm8byan said:
Well that is good to be honest I am surprised hes eating at all --- please do what you can w/ the tank and get it in the correct environment that he needs ---
Karrie

Yes, he isn’t a crazy eater but eats something most days. What size tank would you recommend? I can’t imagine a way to get a bulb into our current tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For a full size dragon we recommend a 75-120 gallon -- one w/ front doors preferably you will be happier w/ front doors - start on FB marketplace and Craigslist -- if you find one on there make sure you sanitize it real good w/ Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 its a vet disinfectant and will kill everything in the tank -- you can find F 10 on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R2.TR0.TRC2.A0.H0.X+.TRS3&_nkw=f10+veterinary+disinfectant&_sacat=20734 this stuff last a long time and its good to have on hand --
If you want to go new let me know I will send you some websites for new ones
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Is his snout looking better I hope?
I think once you get him a larger tank & some better lighting that he will really improve
for you!
I agree, a 75 gallon tank is what most of us recommend for a minimum size for adults.
It's nice when they have enough turn around space.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
Drache613":m07k6ysd said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Is his snout looking better I hope?
I think once you get him a larger tank & some better lighting that he will really improve
for you!
I agree, a 75 gallon tank is what most of us recommend for a minimum size for adults.
It's nice when they have enough turn around space.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

His snout looks like it is healing, I hope. There is still a mark there but no recent bleeding so I hope it will continue to improve.

I’m trying to figure out our tank situation. We found a larger one on FB. I don’t understand what the lighting/heating is in our current one. It has heat underneath one side and also then this white square on the top of the same heated side. We are trying to work it out!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No heat mats or heat rocks -- your lighting on top of screen or inside the tank - usually the basking bulb will be on top of screen so the dragon cannot get to it -- the UVB depending on the bulb your using can sit on top of screen or if its a lower strength it will need to go inside the tank do not get a tank lower than height of 18 inches ---------------- NO 16 inch high tank - you want a tank of no less than 40 gallon and the bigger the better
Karrie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":21r429r9 said:
No heat mats or heat rocks -- your lighting on top of screen or inside the tank - usually the basking bulb will be on top of screen so the dragon cannot get to it -- the UVB depending on the bulb your using can sit on top of screen or if its a lower strength it will need to go inside the tank do not get a tank lower than height of 18 inches ---------------- NO 16 inch high tank - you want a tank of no less than 40 gallon and the bigger the better
Karrie

Thanks for all your feedback. Our current tank does not have a screen on top. It is completely enclosed except for the front. I contacted a company that makes tanks similar to ours to see if I can get an explanation of the heat source on top so I know what kind of animal it is intended for. We will try to resell it once we get our new tank, and I don't want to give it to the wrong person, like someone did to us. It is a very nice tank, just not for a beardie I guess. It is big and tall. The only concern is the bulb.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I was wondering if he might enjoy a hammock, since those are soft so he couldn't scratch his face?
Also if you have any large (smooth) rocks, that would be an option. The rock we put in our dragons tank when she was a littler baby is her favorite. She doesn't seem to care much for the hammock we got her, but it is very nice so I would recommend it if you want to try one. I can look up the Etsy site we ordered it from if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom