Not open for further replies.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
okay i can't find my corn snake! we think that he is lost in the house,
if anyone has any tips or help please share here,
we really love him :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear this. :( I'm sure you're looking under all furniture, but when you move anything be very careful. For chairs + couches you can tip them over to look underneath in case he's up inside the upholstery. You might try sprinkling baking flour around on the floor,then you might see where he's traveling to if he leaves marks from where he glides through it. Then maybe set up a small heat pad or a clamp lamp near any area you think he might be. Leave a small bowl of water in every room so he'll have a chance to drink and won't dehydrate.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How big is your snake? Silly question but have you checked everything in and around the cage?

Often they don't go too far - scour the room he was in last thoroughly. Check places you won't think - inside drawers, inside the frames of furniture, around pipes in the bathroom, under furniture and appliances (carefully), in the curtains, on the curtain rod, on the top of door frames. Cornsnakes are pretty skilled climbers.

The flour trick works best put at the transition between rooms to see if he has passed the door, and around the edges of walls as snakes like to stick to the wall. Make sure other pets are locked up in a room you know the snake is NOT in.

The water dishes are pretty important, especially if your snake is still little.

Put a cardboard box over the heat pad or near the lamp, and it might use it as a hide. You can also try leaving a thawed mouse in the box to lure him out.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well he's about 2 feet long,
and we've look everywhere with no sign of him,
the bad thing is that we've had our backdoor creaked for the last two days and last time i saw him was
about two days ago, do you guys think that he got out of the house?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
ToothlessTheDragon":1vqq8a9k said:
well he's about 2 feet long,
and we've look everywhere with no sign of him,
the bad thing is that we've had our backdoor creaked for the last two days and last time i saw him was
about two days ago, do you guys think that he got out of the house?

Its good that he is bigger, he might be a little easier to find.
It's possible, but still keep an eye out - he may have found a cozy spot in the house somewhere. Some folks have found their snake outside, or in the same room some weeks or months later - some never get found though. Our little hognose went missing for a couple days and we found him in the basement - pretty lucky he didn't get hurt on the way down, or by the cat while he was missing. Its nerve wracking we tore the house on end - I hope he turns up.

Scribble

it is possible

not sure about snakes, but when my door gets open they try to sneak past. Though last time they've done this was last year in snow weather so they don't do it anymore and they never went too far.

If you think he got out the best place to look is under your house many animals don't like straying too far from home. Then again not all animals are the same. Hope it didn't get out.

My dad had a snake when I was little and even though mom told them it was a pet they still killed it ):
Then again this was an apartment complex in Texas years ago so I highly doubt this would happen for you, or at least hopefully not.

Best of luck!

RFWildlife

This is something I can help you with. I do nuisance wildlife control for a living catching lost snakes is something I do on occasion. Dehydration is what to most worry about he will need a source of water you can supply a source and may even catch him in the act of soaking. At minimum put paper towel around it to see if it is being used. The next thing he needs is a good place to hide Have you checked all heat sources well? Refrigerator, water heater etc? 75% of the time I find the lost snakes in the basement. you can make traps using PVC pipe Get a piece at least two feet longer then the snake and barely larger in diameter. Place this along a wall as snakes will usually travel there. The idea is that the snake will investigate the enticing-looking tunnel and enter. Because the pipe is barely larger then the snake, he will not be able to turn around inside and will also have difficulty backing out. Be sure to put a cap on one end. You can make a small chamber at the end and use a live mouse as bait, or trail in a dead mouse and use a hand warmer.
I have also had luck with a damp towel with a hot water bottle under it. If you can lower the heat in the house this method works well. Does your house have any rodent issues? You can also spread some powder along walls to see if he is traveling in that area. Bathrooms are another spot to check well especially around the toilet. This type of snake is not all that picky with what they eat, so food source is not the best way to catch him. I do not know a lot about corn snakes but behavior is the key to catching him. If he climbs like a black rat snake he may end up in the attic. I have caught snakes months after they have gone missing, so do not give up. I just registered here so unsure if you can e-mail me from this site. you can contact me via my web site www.wildlifecontrolct.com if you call and I do not answer leave a message, I am swamped with work so answer few calls.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay thank you so much,
the pvc pipe sounds like a good idea, but my basement is the coldest place in my house
do you think that he could still be down there? i didn't think about the attic :|

RFWildlife

Coldest, and most humid. If your hot water heater is in the basement he has a source of heat, even a washer or dryer works as a heat source. Many people keep a freezer in the basement gives him heat and water from condensation. Another thing to look for is sheds. Do not forget to look up he could be in the rafters, or on the sill ledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom