Shipped vs Pet Stores?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be buying some Phoenix worms for both of my boys. What's your opinions on having Phoenix worms shipped vs buying them at like Petco?! Also if you have some websites you like for buying them please post them

Araneae

From my experience, every container of Phoenix worms (Calci-worms) I have ever opened in Petco were either all dead or full of adult flies. I get mine from Lllreptile.com with my cricket order. So far no problems and their feeder insects are in good condition.

Dr. Phoenix

Hatchling Member
Petco does not sell genuine Phoenix Worms. We, too, have heard from many customers that the Petco calciworms are always dead or a cup of flies and that's why we are NOT happy when folks think all BSF larvae are the same thing. We invite your comparison and hope that you'll try the real thing and see the differences for yourself.

Craig Sheppard, Ph.D.
President, Insect Science Resource LLC
Emeritus, University of Georgia
http://www.phoenixworm.com

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Yeah, I know there's a difference between repti, phoenix, and calci worms. I actually had a talk with the district manager about my local Petco and how the calci worms are always either dead or are flies and since then I haven't had a problem with them. I prefer not to buy from them because of the price, but if I need something quick and can't wait for shipping I go to them.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
I'd like to try the cup but I'm concerned about the temps, we're in the high 80s-low 90s, invalidating the live arrival guarantee. Any advice from anyone who's shipped them before? I may just wait until fall and keep him on the dubia till then. I've lost part of a dubia shipment before to heat and it really, really sucks.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
zandi202":2ucql163 said:
Yeah, I know there's a difference between repti, phoenix, and calci worms. I actually had a talk with the district manager about my local Petco and how the calci worms are always either dead or are flies and since then I haven't had a problem with them. I prefer not to buy from them because of the price, but if I need something quick and can't wait for shipping I go to them.

Only difference is what they are fed. They are all black soldier fly larvae. I personally buy reptiworms since they have an actual lab sheet done by a third party company showing the % of stuff in em vs Phoenix worms which just give a statement by them which can or can not be accurate. Although again, they are all the same thing except a little variation is feeding and a big variation in price. And I just order mine straight from reptiworm.com. Never even knew petco sold em but then again, I don't really do business with them after I've seen how they keep their little dragons. :cry:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Sauzo":3i0u288g said:
zandi202":3i0u288g said:

Only difference is what they are fed. They are all black soldier fly larvae. I personally buy reptiworms since they have an actual lab sheet done by a third party company showing the % of stuff in em vs Phoenix worms which just give a statement by them which can or can not be accurate. Although again, they are all the same thing except a little variation is feeding and a big variation in price. And I just order mine straight from reptiworm.com. Never even knew petco sold em but then again, I don't really do business with them after I've seen how they keep their little dragons. :cry:

I had some issues with how they were taken care of. If you go to Petco's contact page and e-mail them your concerns from their, they're really good about listening. They still do mealworms, but now they do collards and mustard greens instead of carrots and lettuce and they took them off of sand and onto carpet. Well, at least my store listened :lol:

I usually by phoenix worms as well when I do for treats for the leos. That's typically the only time. Very interesting info. Thanks!

Dr. Phoenix

Hatchling Member
Ophiophilist, although we cannot guarantee live arrival when temps exceed 85*F., we successfully ship throughout the year with very few losses (less than 1%). When it's hot, the best thing to do is to ask us to mark the package HOLD AT POST OFFICE FOR CUSTOMER PICKUP. This will prevent the worms from riding for hours in a hot mail truck and prevents the package from being left in a hot mailbox. You could try a single cup for $5.99 to see if this would work for you.

Sauzo, your statement is not correct--"only difference is what they are fed" is not true. BSF larvae are the same insect species but there are significant differences between Phoenix Worms and the other brands. Customers tell us they much prefer our packing media and have found our worms are more wiggly, last longer, and do not smell. We developed this feeder for the herp market and our worms were analyzed by an independent laboratory before we began selling them in 2005. The nutritional comparison chart published on our website reports the results from that analysis--it is not "just a statement" that we've made up. We will furnish a copy of the actual lab report to any customer upon request.

Craig Sheppard, Ph.D.

jessu892

Just figured I'd add that I have seen the cups of calci worms at Petco and they were tiny and smelled. I just got an order of repti worms from georgiacrickets.com and they are plump and active and even there bedding seems clean! You'll also get more for your money by ordering online so that is definitely the way to go!

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
God knows how long those Petco ones have sat there too. If I was going to do any of the larvae, i'd order online since you know you will get fresh....and if not and you open the container and your house gets infested with 300 black soldier flies...well you can call whoever you got it from and raise hell. :lol: I personally have never tried Calciworms for the simple fact that coming in containers of only 25 for the price they charge is not for me. 25 would be gone in 2 days if i'm lucky with Harley the way she eats. I'll prolly give Phoenix worms a try to just see how they are as well since I use Reptiworms and so far they have been pretty good.

Not to start an argument Dr. Phoenix, i'm sure your worms are great as well but other than packing, food they are fed and generally how they are raised, how much different can black soldier fly larvae be? Like I said, not trying to start drama or an argument, I really am curious cause like I said, I really couldn't imagine that huge of a difference other than gutloading them with something different. Again, i'm gonna give a shot since im curious and the true test will be the "Harley stomachometer test" :lol:

Oriheme

Juvie Member
I go for shipped for everything, it is much cheaper than the stores and cheaper for me in general. We live about 70 miles from the nearest pet store so with gas and stuff it gets expensive!!

My bearded dragon will not touch Phoenix worms at all. He just doesnt like them. But I am getting another dragon at the beginning of the month(Hopefully) and I am hopeful that the new baby will eat them. I prefer them over crickets, they dont smell nearly as bad(Tho my kids say they smell like feet o_O) and from all the sheets I have seen comparing the 2 Phoenix worms just seem the all over better choice. They are trickey little buggers though... they climb very well!

As for the pet store, I have only ever seen them sold in Petco but they were all dead when we looked at them, so we left them there. LOL I don't go into petco much anymore though. Between not having the money to go into town every month and just the deplorable condition they keep their reptiles in I cant go in anymore. Every time I went in after I got Boba Fett I would leave in tears so my boyfriend and kids dont allow me to stop in there anymore lol.

Dr. Phoenix

Hatchling Member
What great news, Sauzo! We're so glad that you're curious about Phoenix Worms and welcome your comparison. You'll find that our packing media is quite different from the potting soil-like material used by others. People prefer it because the PWs can be cleaned quickly. Just drop a spoonful of worms and media in a bowl of water--the worms will float and media drops to the bottom. The clean worms can be lifted out with a strainer. Breeders like to serve the worms wet to increase hydration for their beardies. However, if you want your PWs to stay in a dish, please dry them on a paper towel before serving. Moisture enables PWs to climb out of anything!

BTW, we trademarked Phoenix Worms, the original BSF feeder, because we were afraid copycats would come out and confuse the marketplace. This is exactly what has happened. Some people use the brand name Phoenix Worm to cover calciworms and reptiworms. There are numerous differences in quality but the most striking one is that most people report that calciworms are in VERY POOR condition, often dead, at the point of sale. When these worms are called "Phoenix Worms" it totally confuses new users and prevents them from making an informed choice. There is a difference. We work extremely hard to provide customers with the highest quality product and customer service.

Craig Sheppard, Ph.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom