Shedding help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colbsteroon

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon is shedding and i heard they can loose their tails and toes/nails if i dont keep an eye on them. ive been giving him warm baths, but how can i help him shed his toes and tail?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Loss of the tail or fingers only happens when the shed does not come off and it begins to cut off the circulation to the part in question. Daily baths while shedding, and 100% PURE cocoa butter for stubborn sheds
will help prevent that. The key is being a watchful caretaker, which you obviously are. Do try to resist the urge to peel off the shed. If it is not clearly dried, it is not ready to come off. Sometimes, finger and tail sheds do require some assistance, but only if the shed has separated from the body and won't let go.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I truly believe shedding is the "first" most traumatic experience for a beardie owner to go through. We hear horror stories and it just LOOKS so bad. Every time I see a shedding post I can't help but chime in. I second everything Esther posted but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone! Like Esther mentioned...never ever be afraid to ask. If you feel something isn't right through the shed post it. Someone here can and will help...I went through it and it seems that my boy has started a nasty trend of bad sheds :( They're all different, though!

Lucky for your baby, he has you looking out for him!

One thing to add, resist the urge to "help" them shed. It can be painful to pull off the skin if it's not quite ready. It's like picking a scab before the skin underneath has healed, it hurts! The best thing to do is give them baths everyday, one of my babies shed almost his entire body in one bath! The only time I "help" is when one of them has some pieces of skin left on their eyelid and its poking them in the eye. I wet a q-tip and very gently wipe off the pieces.

This community has been a huge help, and you will always find lots of support and great info from the experienced beardie slaves :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom