When should I be concerned about shedding?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, my bearded dragon is shedding. It seems like for a couple to a few days nothing has changed. The shedding isn’t coming off. And dull parts haven’t started to shed. When should I be concerned about stuck shedding? None of the shedding seems tight. And I don’t think a couple days with no progress is too long, but I’m not sure. Thank you for your help!

Solution
When should I be concerned about stuck shedding?
The answer, which might sound slightly apathetic, is "basically never."

Since most people don't like answers like that without explanation:

The only complication that can arise from stuck shedding is the constriction of limbs and digits. The reason there is never really a need to worry about this, is because its a SLOW process. Months would have to go by on a dragon who is growing at a decent pace, and the stuck shed would need to be somewhere it could constrict bloodflow (not the back, belly, head, etc.)

The catch-22 with this all is if a dragon is growing fast, it most likely has proper husbandry and a proper diet. Proper husbandry and proper diet prevents shedding issues...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When should I be concerned about stuck shedding?

The only complication that can arise from stuck shedding is the constriction of limbs and digits. The reason there is never really a need to worry about this, is because its a SLOW process. Months would have to go by on a dragon who is growing at a decent pace, and the stuck shed would need to be somewhere it could constrict bloodflow (not the back, belly, head, etc.)

The catch-22 with this all is if a dragon is growing fast, it most likely has proper husbandry and a proper diet. Proper husbandry and proper diet prevents shedding issues, thus preventing "stuck shed."

Dragons aren't like snakes and other lizards who require high humidity or sometimes help with their shedding. It's a common misconception and a common worry by many new dragon owners.

-Brandon

Solution

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole

The catch-22 with this all is if a dragon is growing fast, it most likely has proper husbandry and a proper diet. Proper husbandry and proper diet prevents shedding issues, thus preventing "stuck shed."

Dragons aren't like snakes and other lizards who require high humidity or sometimes help with their shedding. It's a common misconception and a common worry by many new dragon owners.

-Brandon
Ok, thank you! It is a bit fuller on his fingers, so I think he’ll be shedding there. But, that just stated like a week or a few days ago.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom