Stuck Shed / Behavior Change

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I have two bearded dragons, Dezzy (female, 5yo) and Percy (male, ~8yo). They're in separate tanks that are each 60x28x29 (240g), mixed soil/sand substrate, misc logs rocks and hides in each, 99-104F basking spots depending on the day, 80F cool sides, unsure on warm side temp currently, and 30-35% humidity depending on if the lights are on/off.

They each started shedding around three weeks ago with more than half of their bodies shedding. The majority of shed has come off without issue, backs are clear, tails are mostly clear, feet are clear, etc.

Percy's issue is that his belly and at least one leg have not broken loose, even after baths. Dezzy's issue is a few patch spots, namely near the fat pads around her front legs, on top of her head, and a patch near the base of her tail. Again, even after baths. Both of them changed behavior wise around that time as well, hiding more than usual. I originally assumed due to shedding annoyances, but Percy has long since returned to basking/eating as normal and Dezzy continues to hide away. I thought she could be brumating, but she's awake more often than not when I check on her. Simply staring out of her hides. Dezzy still has her appetite but I'm concerned with feeding her in case she is attempting to go into brumation.

Is it a husbandry issue? Do they just take longer when they're older? Do I need to do more with the baths? It's been awhile since I've seen Dezzy with such a large shed, and I'm a new owner for Percy as of April so I'm not familiar with him or a beardy of his age.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
It is completely normal for uneven shedding. My beardie has some Shed spot as well. As long as they don't black beard or show nsy sign of pain they should be fine :)

Edit: also, what UVB light do they have? Tube light or Coil? PLEASE NO COILS they are health hazards! Send pictures of both Setups

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
It is completely normal for uneven shedding. My beardie has some Shed spot as well. As long as they don't black beard or show nsy sign of pain they should be fine :)

Edit: also, what UVB light do they have? Tube light or Coil? PLEASE NO COILS they are health hazards! Send pictures of both Setups
I will share pictures of their setups tomorrow evening as I don't have any currently available. I have 34" ReptiSun 10.0 T5HO tubes with reflector in each enclosure. Distances based on the info previously shared by Taterbug / the person (or people) their information was derived from.

Dezzy has been grey bearding from time to time, but neither have black bearded. I'm not so much concerned about the uneven shedding as much as it taking 3+ weeks to shed. I thought it was abnormal for shed to remain for 2+ weeks if husbandry is correct.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Older Beardies do take a little longer to shed. Is it stiff and hard? Or is it soft and moveable? I would rub some Coconut oil on it if it's stiff.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The remaining pieces on Dezzy are stiff, namely on the top of her head and base of her tail. The remaining pieces that I can feel on Percy are softer, though it's hard to tell with his belly as it's still in one solid piece.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
I would rub some coconut oil on the spots to soften it up. Wait for Percy and see if he will shed it off. If it becomes stiff you can also rub the oil on him as well. Eventually it'll all shed off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom