Sealed eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan101

Original Poster
YES I got the bulbs came in yesturday. No I have never been through egg laying I got both of them November 26. I know they won’t be fertilized but can you tell me what all I should need so she will lay them? Like size bin etc

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sure, to begin with the digging and the small poops she's left around (to attract a male to fertilize her eggs) are signs that she wants to dig for real. So I got a big rubbermaid container, it's almost 12" high and I filled it to 9", it's also about 20" long. My Cierra has had 2 summers of laying eggs but didn't lay any last year. Which is weird. Anyway, just put her in the digbox when you'll be home for a few hours. So if she's been in there 2 hours max and hasn't started laying, the back in her tank to warm up. Once she starts digging, it can take awhile to lay all the eggs, they can lay from 10-40 eggs, all depends on the beardie.

Once she's laid her eggs she'll need a long warm bath and be offered worms with lots of calcium, that's daily. Also veggies but she needs more protein to begin with as she'll lost about 100g and it's all protein for the eggs and calcium for the shells. That's also of calcium and protein, so I keep my girl on protein with calcium daily (I use liquid calcium, so don't have to dust bugs). I'd recommend liquid, I told you the brand that the pet shop should have in stock, then it's .1 ml for every 100g of weight and feed by syringe. If you don't want to do that, make sure she gets lots of calcium from bugs and salad. Lots of greens but only after bugs are eaten & as many bugs as she'll eat, daily.

If you have any other concerns, let me know. Oh yes, she might want to tamp down the top of the dig box to hide her eggs. My Sweetie would let us help, after a couple of years of her laying eggs, but she might not want you to help if it's her 1st time. I can take up to 2 hours for labour and tamping down the top. Hopefully she'll lay when you're home.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful you got the new UVB lights now! I hope he is doing tons better soon. It's a
great sign he is opening his eyes now.
Does he like the new light?
Good luck making the lay box for your girl.

Tracie

Spartan101

Original Poster
Hey guys so good/funny news I just went out this morning and got everything for the egg bin for saphira. I went straight to work and when I got home she had just finished laying them haha.

Spartan101

Original Poster
Alright so I’m going to hold onto the eggs for a bit but I put I light up to one of the eggs through the glass in a blacked out room and I saw a what looked like a red vein...could they be fertilized if so now I have a whole new issue with raising them.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I would freeze the eggs. My girl Cierra got pregnant behind my back with Nathaniel, by accident. I roze the eggs because I wasn't prepared to raise the baby dragons: feeding 3x a day, proper lights, proper temps for possibly 50 or so babies over a season. This wouldn't be her first clutch, each one is laid 30-40 days after the first one & a female dragon can have 3-4 clutches in one summer. You'll need to do lots of research, so go to the Breeding section of our site and ask how to incubate eggs, what to look for, what to stay away from, maintenance of eggs over how long until they hatch. It's alot of work to raise babies and then you have to find homes for them. So that's what you need to think about and get answers to. They need a specific temperature and specific kind of substrate and a good incubator that will keep it at the right them with good humidity levels. I've read up about it all over the year, so remember some of what needs to be done. Sorry for being so blunt, but because I've been rescuing dragons for 11 years and just took in another sweeti young female dragon that had to be re-homed, I don't want to see any more dragons that could be abused/mis handled.

Spartan101

Original Poster
Don’t worry about being blunt. I wanted to see what you guys would say I didn’t want to get rid of the eggs and have people upset about it.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That would be a great idea! And never worry about not keeping eggs when you didn't have them mate to begin with. Keep me posted, k?

Spartan101

Original Poster
So the place won’t take the eggs BUT they know a local breeder and he is coming to get them tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so she did lay fertile eggs? How many did she lay?
It is very expensive to raise babies & it does take some planning for the housing, heating/
lighting & feeding of them, too!
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Spartan101

Original Poster
She layed 10 and she is back to her regular self she’s not flinching fromme she’s sleeping on me etc

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh that is good news. Best for her now is to get some liquid calcium and give her a dose by weight daily, this will help replace the calcium she lost making those eggs. Same with protein, Sweetie Pie lost 100 g every time she laid eggs, but she laid 35 infertile eggs, so they were disposed of.

I'm so glad your girl is back to normal, I would hate if my dragons wouldn't snuggle with me, I'd know something was wrong. I always have a dragon on my shoulder, or draped around my nick. Now I have Freya. My 2 yr old Imp died before Xmas of seizures. He went very quickly, couldn't even get him to a vet. So I said no more, still have 4 others. I went to my friend's last monday, who's going through a tough marital & have a 4 mo old firl who needed a good home, so she came home in my coat that day and I set her up in Imp's tank. And she's doing well, eating, pooping, loving her baths, she swims alot. I brought all her own stuff for the tank, so she's feeling more comfy. I've got the tank the way she wants it, so that's made me feel better. It's been 2 years since I had a 4 mo old, they are different than adults. Cierra 4, Nathaniel 4, Castiel 3, Gabriel 7 are my other dragons. Imp was over 2 years old, so I have to remember different things for her than for her big brothers and sister. I will be interesting to see how Cierra reacts to another female in the house when she wakes up, she seems to loving brumating but still, it will be interesting,

Keep me posted on your girl, hope she gets her weight up to what it was before the eggs.
lots and lots of bugs before veggies, she need protein more now, then greens to help replace the protein she lost making the yolks.

Spartan101

Original Poster
So I do their baths a bit warm nothing bad but when I put them in Igneal my male will point his tail straight up, my female Saphire will run to one end and then like completely bloat her sides n stomach up. Neither of them flex their beard tho so idk why they do it. It’s kinfa funny when she does it tho cause she floats. Is it okay that they both freeze up in the bath or is something wrong?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great your female seems to be back to normal now after laying eggs!
As for the baths, they will puff themselves up when in a bath to float & they can freeze up
if they are not comfortable. Try giving each one a bath, separately. Is the water too deep?
We don't recommend the water being any higher than their arm pits, really.
How was the water temperature?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom