Does my beardie dislike me?

Meg1998

So, I rescued a 3YO M in October, I’m starting to wonder if he dislikes me and just “tolerates” me because I’m his feeder😂 Whenever I walk by him or look into his viv, sometimes he won’t even move his eyes to acknowledge me and will just stare into the distance like I’m not even there😂 However, when my boyfriend comes over, he will literally move his head to follow him around the room like he’s really interested in what he’s doing. Basically I’m beginning to feel very left out😂😂😂 Could it be that he’s just not interested in me at all, and is that just how it’s going to be? Or is there more I can do to make him “like” me (aside from feeding him all the delicious bugs and wait on him hand and foot like I already do😂😂😂).

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
In which way does your boyfriend behave differently to your beardie?
E.g.: talking to him, or even just ding other things in the room?
My beardie likes it to watch people eat and people doing various things, from reading to household chores.
So maybe he gets more interested in you if you try to do things so he can watch you.

Also it is maybe just that your boyfriend isn't in that room that often - you being there is the normal case, him being there is an exception worth watching?

Meg1998

Original Poster
In which way does your boyfriend behave differently to your beardie?
E.g.: talking to him, or even just ding other things in the room?
My beardie likes it to watch people eat and people doing various things, from reading to household chores.
So maybe he gets more interested in you if you try to do things so he can watch you.

Also it is maybe just that your boyfriend isn't in that room that often - you being there is the normal case, him being there is an exception worth watching?
He pretty much does all that I do, I’ll go up to his viv and talk to him and he will just stare blankly past me. Whereas when bf does it, he will lift his head to observe him😂 I know they don’t particularly “like” people or hold that emotion, I’m just jealous that he doesn’t at all seem intrigued by me😂 Maybe I’ll have to take up break dancing and start practicing that in front of his Viv😂

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
They can for sure act differently regarding different people. But they can learn to like other people over time:

When we got our Taco, my husband wasn't so much interacting with him because he (my husband) feared the bugs, and he also found the little dragon with the observing eyes a bit weird.
Taco started to like me much better, e.g. observing me, or not walking backwards/ hiding when I was removing poo. Taco started eating bugs from my hands. Every time my husband came into the room, Taco rather slid behind a branch, or "at maximum" ignoring him.
My husband then started talking to Taco, at least "hand"-feeding bugs with a tweezer (I remember my husband trying to find the "least ugly" worm in the box as he's rather grossed out by worms :D), and when Taco was old enough to be let out, I started to introduce him also that way.
Now, Taco doesn't make much difference anymore. He for sure knows who is who, but he watches both of us, can be touched by both of us, likes to sit on both of us. Taco is even licking both my fingers and his.

Meg1998

Original Poster
They can for sure act differently regarding different people. But they can learn to like other people over time:

When we got our Taco, my husband wasn't so much interacting with him because he (my husband) feared the bugs, and he also found the little dragon with the observing eyes a bit weird.
Taco started to like me much better, e.g. observing me, or not walking backwards/ hiding when I was removing poo. Taco started eating bugs from my hands. Every time my husband came into the room, Taco rather slid behind a branch, or "at maximum" ignoring him.
My husband then started talking to Taco, at least "hand"-feeding bugs with a tweezer (I remember my husband trying to find the "least ugly" worm in the box as he's rather grossed out by worms :D), and when Taco was old enough to be let out, I started to introduce him also that way.
Now, Taco doesn't make much difference anymore. He for sure knows who is who, but he watches both of us, can be touched by both of us, likes to sit on both of us. Taco is even licking both my fingers and his.

They’re funny things aren’t they! I thought he’d lean more towards me given I’m the one who feeds him and does everything else for him😂 He must just see me as a mere servant 🤣🤣 thank you for sharing your story😁

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom