Roach cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikipop

Hatchling Member
The only thing i would look out for is mold... I got a cabinet for our bins that are in the house and they are the feeder bins that aren't even heated and after a week therewas mold in the bins because of lack of air circulation. Fortunately we caught it early enough and now we just use the cabinet to store all the extra stuff for the lizards. Just my pennies worth... :)

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
ChrisMiller":2m8rivun said:
Heat tape (flex watt from beanfarm.com) will be about 1/3 the cost of that setup, more efficient, safer, and more flexible too.

No big cabinet needed and no need to warm an entire air space just for 2 tubs.

Check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=163239

A 65 watt ligthbulb can hit 200 degrees. My 60 watts of flex watt heats the whole tub and only needs to turn on occasionally, and when it does, only runs 120 degrees max.

flexwatt exceeding 95 degrees is an extreme fire hazard.

I agree that is cabinet for 2 tubs is an extreme overkill. If the OP thinks its necessary, then go for it.

Much more efficient idea would be to line bottom of cage with controlled flexwatt. Allow 2" space between tubs and install some fans. Would probably use less power, be more reliable and consistent.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I think at 95, there is no risk of fire hazard... Fire don't start until the temp is really, really high like 400 or 700 degree I think. :wink:

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Paradon":wi265pg9 said:
I think at 95, there is no risk of fire hazard... Fire don't start until the temp is really, really high like 400 or 700 degree I think. :wink:

Temps that result in fire occur when a spark from a short occurs. Shorts occur when the plastic of the very thin flexwatt becomes burned from heat of the tape over cycling. If the OP only wants an ambient of 85 then the flxwatt should be super safe when regulated that low. Light bulbs are just inefficient and the CHE idea is just asking for a fire....CHE's get super hot.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I think the Felxwatt heat tape doesn't pull that much electricity out; it's very efficient and save money. Fire only occur when you plug in too many heat lamps and appliances into a small cheap extension cord and then they try to pull out a lot of electricity from one plug, which can short the circuit.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Paradon":39yxon03 said:
I think the Felxwatt heat tape doesn't pull that much electricity out; it's very efficient and save money. Fire only occur when you plug in too many heat lamps and appliances into a small cheap extension cord and then they try to pull out a lot of electricity from one plug, which can short the circuit.

I think you need to read up on flexwatt and see the numerous people who have experienced close calls with flexwatt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom