Roach cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootthebunnies

Original Poster
These are the bins I plan to use. I have roaches coming this week 1500+ mixed sizes coming from a few different people on this site. I am going to build the cabinet big enough for 2 of these bins so that I have one for the breeding colony and one for the feeders. They are 18gallons. I can fit 7 egg crates in the one side and have plenty of room for food/water dishes on the other.

roachbin.jpg

shootthebunnies

Original Poster
Has anyone had a problem melting these plastic bins?

I am trying to figure out a distance to separate the bins from the light domes and playing with different wattage bulbs and am having a hard time coming up with the magic mix so to speak.

Changed the design no problems now.

Willis

shootthebunnies

Original Poster
Here a few pics and explanitions of what I am trying to accomplish.

Dimensions are 64" High X 33 1/2" Wide X 24" Deep
Roachcabinet001.jpg

Light box set in place with one light fixture cut into it.
Roachcabinet003.jpg

A little better view with the soon to be roach bin next to it.
Roachcabinet002.jpg

Light box with the second light fixture cut into it.
Roachcabinet005.jpg

Two return grills and color clad inlay. I didn't have enough space to put two of the larger grills in and have enough room for the second fixture. The first roach bin will sit right on top of these grills.
Roachcabinet006.jpg

There will be a second shelf for another bin above but I will have to get to that tomorrow.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
The only problem I can see with this idea is: will there be a temperature gradient? (Warmer on one side, cooler on the other?) Dubia should have the option to get to a cooler area if they want/need to. This seems like it'll warm them pretty evenly throughout. Maybe they'll like that, though.

As for melting plastic, I've never had that happen. If you have temps high enough to melt the plastic, you're most likely going to kill your dubia.

shootthebunnies

Original Poster
Sapphire":1yz6jspb said:
The only problem I can see with this idea is: will there be a temperature gradient? (Warmer on one side, cooler on the other?)
As for melting plastic, I've never had that happen. If you have temps high enough to melt the plastic, you're most likely going to kill your dubia.

Never thought about the temperature gradient.

I changed the design after a couple of hours of trying to set the tubs directly over the lights.

I am going to set it in place tonight and run it and see what kind of temps I get from the first bin.

ChrisMiller

Hatchling Member
Heat tape (flex watt from beanfarm.com) will be about 1/3 the cost of that setup, more efficient, safer, and more flexible too.

No big cabinet needed and no need to warm an entire air space just for 2 tubs.

Check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=163239

A 65 watt ligthbulb can hit 200 degrees. My 60 watts of flex watt heats the whole tub and only needs to turn on occasionally, and when it does, only runs 120 degrees max.

shootthebunnies

Original Poster
ChrisMiller":2l4q3g60 said:
Heat tape (flex watt from beanfarm.com) will be about 1/3 the cost of that setup, more efficient, safer, and more flexible too.

Check this out:

A 65 watt ligthbulb can hit 200 degrees. My 60 watts of flex watt heats the whole tub and only needs to turn on occasionally, and when it does, only runs 120 degrees max.

Everything in this set up was free, other than the cost of electricity. The reason I though to go this route is the area where the dubia will be is 57 degrees year round. I figured the cabinet would be an easy way to maintain that heat in a small space so to speak.

Will flexwatt raise the temp 30-40 degrees with out running above 115 degrees of heat against the tub?

Thanks
Willis

ChrisMiller

Hatchling Member
shootthebunnies":252zpa0x said:
ChrisMiller":252zpa0x said:

Check this out:

Everything in this set up was free, other than the cost of electricity. The reason I though to go this route is the area where the dubia will be is 57 degrees year round. I figured the cabinet would be an easy way to maintain that heat in a small space so to speak.

Will flexwatt raise the temp 30-40 degrees with out running above 115 degrees of heat against the tub?

Thanks
Willis

If insulated correctly, absolutely. I shipped a frozen item 7 days across country in the middle of the summer (thru 115+ temps) wrapped in nothing but r30 household insulation and it was still frozen when it arrived. The OP of that thread I linked to used the cheap pink foam insulation to wrap his tub. He could tell you more about his results, but i've used the same foam for other projects and it holds heat VERY well.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_insulation_table

ChrisMiller

Hatchling Member
You can lookup the R value of the wood you're using too... should help shine some light on how efficient your cabinet will be. I personally would not run a cabinet setup unless I heavily insulated it, and lined it with foil sheets or foil tape.

shootthebunnies

Original Poster
I plan on lining it with the foilfaced foam (foil side in) insulation and taping the seams.
foilfaced.jpg

Either way if the fixture box setup doesn't work the way I am hoping I can always pull the box out of the corner and switch to flexwatt and still utilize the cabinet. So no matter what it is just a little time and trial and error.

Thanks
Willis

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
All I use to heat my tub is a 100watt CHE on the inside, I originally had problems with the plastic melting, but I hooked it up to a thermostat and cut the ventilation into it and everything works perfectly. My tub sits outside, and I'm in England so it's usually around 40-50F during the day and colder at night.
The CHE easily gets to 140F, but with the CHE is hits 93F and then turns off with the thermostat for a couple hours then back on. All I did was got some insulation that I had spare from my loft and wrapped that around, fibre glass, works like a charm haha!
I like the idea, I just think it may be a little unnecessary :O Seems like you've done too much work haha!

shootthebunnies

Original Poster
The cabinet works great with one exception. The thermostat (mercury switch) that everything is running through is letting the drop into the upper 70's before turning everything on again. I am going to order a new thermostat and then should be in business.

I don't just want roaches in tubs visible. So for me it was work well spent.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
you could put a space heater in there. I think it would work and it's cheap. I bet it will heat up the cabinet really, really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom