Purple patch on knee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
look at his knee, theres a small patch of purple scales. i havnt seen that before, so im not really sure what caused it. could it be a bruise?

375024_569621499749192_963371159_n.jpg

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Hi there, Killzone, I'm not sure, but I'll try to help and someone else will know about bruising specifically.
I'm not entirely sure it's bruise-related just by that pic, though.

Are the scales missing from that knee area? It's hard to tell at that angle, but it appears to me that a few are missing on the knee. Could your beardie have gotten them "pulled" on, possibly, or rubbed against something sharp/rough? Or, maybe burnt or bitten somehow? Anything that stands out recently that may have caused an injury?

If the scales aren't missing, it could be a few things, or just an odd spot. Is any area of the body in shed? How old is your beardie?

I'm really thinking there's missing scales...is that the only area like this? How long has it been like that?

Abi

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
Original Poster
no, the scales are still there. theyre just a purple-ish colour, he couldve banged his knee on his rock or had his scales pulled on his basking log though. its been like that since today as far as i know.
i dont think he couldve been bitten, i make sure he finishes all what i give him too.

his tail is starting to turn to the grey shed colour, thats the only place on him though.
he's 8 months today, i dont know his actual birthday but ive narrowed it down to september 21st give or take

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Ok, just wanted to check that first.
Sometimes they do develop weird spots that are harmless, sometimes they are very harmful... I have personal experience determining the difference (Kaira had Yellow Fungus when she was young), but I'm not seeing anything like that from the picture. And you do mean purple, not black-ish? Black-ish could indicate necrosis (sp?) (dying tissue) but I'm thinking it's not anything serious.
If it does look more like the purplish side bars your beardie has, and not black-ish, I'd say keep an eye on it, but wait for another opinion, I'm not one of the experts on the site.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, others will know more.

Abi

*Edit* The shed on the tail...that may mean the leg is about to go into shed too, that may be what this is...still, wait for another opinion.

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i really just hope its nothing serious, maybe its just a random stress mark. im going to check on him right now to see if its still there.

hmm its still there, he doesnt flinch or anything when i touch it

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
It likely is nothing serious. I really was just asking because I do have that type of experience and could help with instructions there. It also did appear, at first, that the scales were gone, but they aren't and I wanted to clarify that. I really don't think it's Yellow Fungus or dying tissue, and apologize if I worried you by mentioning those things. :oops: I just don't have the expertise to tell you it's nothing, and not to get another opinion. I don't like claiming to be an expert and I always prefer a few opinions when something is off or different with Kaira, that's why I said it like that.

Since, the tail is in shed, it looks like that leg may be getting ready to go into shed too. And, weird spots, including stress marks that are different than your beardies norm are all more likely in this case than anything serious.

Sorry for worrying you. I think it's just shed coming in a different way, personally. But it never hurts to ask and get a few opinions :D

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
Original Poster
its okay lol, i was glad to get a quick answer. i was more worried of not knowing what it could be than to find out it is something bad. i still think its just a bruise though, i dont see any other spots like that on him

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hmm, maybe its stress related, because this morning the spikes on his thigh were the same colour. its really confusing :?

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
I understand the worry over not knowing, it's usually the worst.
As long as it hasn't gotten larger or worse in coloration/size, I think it's just one of those weird spots, sometimes simply "pigmentation", sheds and stress marks make it all the more difficult to tell what's going on. I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure it clears up and doesn't spread.
I really don't think it will, though. :D

Abi

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
Original Poster
if it doesnt go away by the next time he sheds his leg, (which seems like hes getting ready to) them im going to bring him to a vet

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
How's his knee looking? About the same or more like shed now? I did notice that the scales lower on that leg were in the very, very early stage of a shed shortly after I first responded to your original post, then you mentioned his tail was in shed too.
It never hurts to get any concerning areas looked at by a vet, rather be safe than sorry sort of thing. It may just be the shed, but if it is still there or it changes, then I think a trip to the vet is a good idea.
To me, from your pic of the area, I don't see any serious condition in that pic, but do agree that if it doesn't go away after the shed that'd probably be the best thing to do.
Do you have any more pictures? Maybe zoom in on it a bit or at different angles? It's hard to catch the true appearance of scales sometimes, but that's completely up to you as you have a good plan already. :D

Abi

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i'll get another tomorrow, i dont want to wake up the poor guy lol, i brought him to the park today for a few hours and he met so many amused canadians.
well, seeing how it gets freezing here, you'd think you would never see a reptile :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom