Preparing for winter

Nubs

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nubs
I've heard that this winter is supposed to be very cold, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do if the power goes out?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I've heard that this winter is supposed to be very cold, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do if the power goes out?
You can get hand warmers from Walmart and set in the tank but you must cover them w/ a dish towel / towel because they get very hot --- I think they make them like 4 and 6 hr warmers -- some others on here might have some more ideas
@CooperDragon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Run your car and use the heater to keep your beardie warm until the power is back on. DO NOT RUN YOUR IN A CLOSED UP GARAGE!!! Carbon monoxide will make you all sick at a minimum and could kill you all if exposed for to long.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reptile shipping heat packs are very good. I always have some on hand. They don't get hot enough to burn, and they run for quite a long time. I've used them on camping trips and they've stayed warm for 3 days just as the packaging indicates. They're worth having - just double check the expiration dates and use them up and replace them as needed.

Another good idea, but more expensive, is to have a battery backup for the lights (or just one heat light). These are typically designed for computers or servers but will keep a low wattage heat emitter going for a little while. Due to their limited run time, they're best suited for short outages of up to a few hours.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom