Expected Power Outage + Winter Weather

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hi all. I have a bearded dragon a little over a year and a half old. My area is expecting a major storm, starting with rain tonight and turning into snow by the morning. We're expecting up to 10 inches depending on the path of the storm, and the power company sent a message to expect an outage. What is the best way to keep my bearded dragon warm if the power goes out? At what temp in his cage should I take him out and keep him warm with a hot water bottle/body heat? I also stocked up on bugs and greens, although I'm not expecting anything too drastic. I just like to be prepared :))

Is there anything else to know about beardies and power outages?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all. I have a bearded dragon a little over a year and a half old. My area is expecting a major storm, starting with rain tonight and turning into snow by the morning. We're expecting up to 10 inches depending on the path of the storm, and the power company sent a message to expect an outage. What is the best way to keep my bearded dragon warm if the power goes out? At what temp in his cage should I take him out and keep him warm with a hot water bottle/body heat? I also stocked up on bugs and greens, although I'm not expecting anything too drastic. I just like to be prepared :))

Is there anything else to know about beardies and power outages?
Hand warmers from Walmart place in the tank but you must use a dish towel etc to put over it - they get really hot or you can get warmers used for shipping as well - they last longer

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hand warmers from Walmart place in the tank but you must use a dish towel etc to put over it - they get really hot or you can get warmers used for shipping as well - they last longer
I don't have a walmart near me, and Idon't think I'll be able to get out again tonight. I will try to order for next time. Can a hot water bottle wrapped in towels do the same thing?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hopefully you wont get hit too hard! It sounds like you are well prepared. A hot water bottle wrapped
in towels works pretty well.
Plenty of fleece blankets, too they love those.

Tracie

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Thank you! Public schools in the area are online today, and the school where I work cancelled. Looks like it only turned to snow around two hours ago, and it's supposed to keep snowing for pretty much the rest of the day as far as I can tell. We got around 2 inches so far. The power is holding steady.

Should I feed Herman today, or should I wait until the weather calms down a bit? So far our power is holding steady and it doesn't seem too windy, but really, you never know. That message from the power company really has me on edge a bit, and I don't want to feed Herman if there's a risk that the power will go out and he won't be able to bask. What should I do?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom