One hemepenis

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaylaJune

I talked to my vet and he seems to be pretty sure my boy dragon has to get one of his hemepenis' removed. Will he still be able to reproduce with only one? I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find an answer. :banghead:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Why does your male need to have one hemepenes amputated, did he prolapse it or injure it?
He should still be able to reproduce assuming the other hemepenes is viable.

Tracie

FoodMonster

Since they only use one hemepenis at a time, it is likely he would still be able to reproduce. Did you ask your vet this question?

Here is a link to a good article about prolapse of the hemepenes that also answers your question near the end:
http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html

Good luck and a quick recovery to your dragon.

KaylaJune

Original Poster
I forgot to ask the vet while I was on the phone with him, but it's prolapsed and terribly dried out, I've only had him for about a week when someone I knew was giving him away, so my boyfriend and I were eager to get him since we have two females and wanted to breed them when they had gotten old enough to. When I went to go pick him up it shocked me of how he had treated the poor thing. It had no lighting at all, no water, no kind of heat source, was pretty emaciated and wasn't lively in the least. In the past week he's obviously started to gain some weight and is considerably more active, but i noticed the shriveled to nothing member about three days ago and called the vet to get him in as soon as I can.
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom