Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I was told it had to be bright white light, to make sure their eyes dilate, but when I checked my power suns give off bright pale yellow & they've been fine under those for 6 years. I would see if you can get a light that gives off bright white, did you get your basking locally or over the internet?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reason you want a bright white light (in the 4000-5000k range) is because this is close to mimicking the color temperature of the sun. Obviously at noon, the sun has a bit more of an intense Kelvin range, but 4-5000k is what you should shoot for in your tank.

A yellow or soft white, is usually around 3000-3500k.

Ultimately, it's not the biggest deal in the world. A 3500k bulb will still protect the eyes, although I have no facts to prove that a higher Kelvin would do better. Not to say I couldn't dig up some research for you, I just simply do not have the time currently, and thought i'd chime in real quick. The higher energy of a higher Kelvin light, should protect the eyes better. It's just like I said, I have nothing to back that up at the moment besides my own understanding of it.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In addition, the yellower a light (to a degree) the lower it's Kelvin rating.
The whiter a light (to a degree) the higher it's kelvin rating.
You won't be dealing with anything above 6000kelvin in your bearded dragons tank, which is why I make no mention of blues and reds.

Here is a nice little visual for you, and anyone else.
kelvin-scale-large.jpg

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you still have the box the bulb came in, it should tell you. Rarely, it's written on the bulb itself.

-Brandon

I've had my girl under a 100w clear, standard household bulb which gave off 2700k for over a year now, recently switched to a halogen flood light with 2900k. Are both of these bulbs insufficient? Should I buy a new bulb with a higher kelvin rating? will the current flood light affect her negatively? She's very lively and alert so I thought everything was okay. any thoughts on this would be appreciated greatly. thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom