Need Help NOW For a Rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You'd think it would hurt dragons, the way it hurts humans. Well, if it is gout, we have something in common-- Arthritis pains, even if hers are only arthritis-like.

Yeah, after I posted my last post, I poked it and stuff (had to know if it was hurting her) and she didn't even flinch. She did open one eye blearily at me with the 'what ARE you doing, woman?!' look, but then went back to sleep.

I measured her. She is 17 inches long! :blob8: That's only half an inch shorter than Z&W. LOL

Yesh, she fell asleep while I was reading Anthony Horowitz's 'Raven's Gate' to her. Yeah. I read to my dragons. So what? Reggie liked Twilight!

Gah, I can't sleep. I'm probably going to be up late reading 'Beastly' (I can't read 'Raven's Gate' until Gem's up to hear it, or I'll feel all guilty :oops:) I guess it doesn't matter, if I get up at one tomorrow, I won't have to sit around idly waiting until we leave for the vet's.... I hate waiting....

Jacqui

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Here's an interesting tid bit. Black cherries have an enzyme in the juice that actually controls and reduces gout! How do I know.... I have gout and I drink black cherry juice! It is also good for arthritis. Wonder if being offered a bing cherry daily would help that ?
Janie.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Jacqui,

Just wanted to pop in before I leave for work to check on Gem. I hope she is doing better for you today. I also hope you hear something good at the vets today. Please let us know what the vet says.

BTW.....beardies do have a way of hiding things that are hurting or bothering them. This is actually a fact and not my opinion! :wink:

Good Luck today Sweetie!

You and Gem are in my thoughts!

Auntie Dawn :D

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
As always I'm late in finding this post. Jacqui you are a pretty special person. Congrats on both your new babies. Keep us posted on that vet appointment.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have no luck. I woke up at eight. (Punches internal clock "YOU WOKE ME UP FIVE HOURS EARLY!")

Gah. Now I have to wait. Wonderful. I hate waiting, I'm an impatient person. (Time to go take a three hour shower, eh?)

Gem's doing better already. She actually held her head up, all on her own this morning! :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: Yay! Improvement! Time to go make a rescue thread.

Jacqui

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Black cherry that's it. I used to drink that. Forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder. I wonder if it helps Lupus too?
Jacqui- child are you saying YOU have arthritis. :shock: My heart goes out to you. No one so young should know that pain. :(

Glad Gem is perkier today. She will improve daily now that she has love and proper care. :love10: :love5: I sometimes think love is most important in any recovery. We will be praying for a good vet report!

Sandy and Katherine :mrgreen:

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
protiemama":e3666 said:
Jacqui- child are you saying YOU have arthritis. :shock: My heart goes out to you. No one so young should know that pain. :(

Yes, my mother and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, which isn't the same as regular arthritis as it's your own overactive immune system attacking all the joints in your body. It's hereditary. She has it the worst in her legs, and I have it the worst in my hands. I can't even crack my knuckles anymore, they're so inflamed. But I digress. :wink:

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Try the black cherry juice. I too was born with RA. Makes the difference now, in medication, or none at all.
I have been on Lodine 400mgs 2 a day since I was 11. No longer. Now on bad days I might take an 800 mg Ibuprofen, but that doesn't happen often anymore.
You'll see a difference in a week ! Though consult with your Dr. before removing yourself from meds. Also, the same enzyme in the cherries is normally one of the main ingredients in arth medicines.
Janie.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Hooray! Thank you for linking me the thread Jaqcui! :wink: She is a beauty. You are such a great person and Gem and everyone on this site thanks you for taking her in. I know you will be a great beardie mom to her, you already are. :) You are devoting so much time and energy to her, and that is incredibly kind and loving.

Sounds like she is doing better already! I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to drop in and see her, wish good luck, and follow her journey! :)

-Haley

P.S. Try Jodie Picoult. Zinger LOVES her books! Jim Kjelgaard, too!

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Sorry! We didn't have time to come home before my dad's track meet, so Gem and I had to go with him, and it lasted until 9:00p.m.! Then it takes an hour to get home.... Sheesh....

Anyway! Good news!

Everything wrong with Gem is related to her severe MBD!
Her bones are WAY thin. The bones in her ankle are so depleted of calcium, that her body was taking calcium from her other bones, resulting in the giant lump on her ankle. The vet said give her .3cc's of liquid calcium twice a day, and gave me Baytril for her sores, and an anti inflammatory med for any pain. He also said that the lump on her ankle will never go away, though. Poor Gem, she can't even move her toes on that leg!

On another note, the vet creeped me out. He had greasy hair and hair sprouting out of his nostrils. Gem wasn't fond of him either. :roll: :lol:

I also think this is hilarious. Gem hasn't pooed for two days, so I couldn't get a fecal right away. So they gave me a little tube with a lid that had a mini spoon attached so I could scoop it in. :lol: I'll never look at chocolate ice cream in a bowl the same way again....

Oh, yes, and I got Gem an MVB. It's a Powersun. I have no experience with MVBs. What do I need to know?

Relieved! No impaction. Gem ate some supers today! How many should I allow her? The vet said 3 a day but that does not sound like nearly enough....

Jacqui

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
i just lost two dragons within the last year. I believe it was hereditary as well....They were Parents to sago (currently have). I want to try and catch the gout early. Pukk aka momma died two days ago after falling to gout :( She was 6 years old.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacqui,

Great that the vet visit went so well for you & Gem, even though he creeped you out a little bit. :D
Well, I have to agree, right now, start slowly with the superworms at 3 per day. You could go to 5 per day but that is it. Did he get you any critical care? Great the liquid calcium will help her alot. Will she be on it for a month or so? How much Baytril will she be on & for how long?
Yes, the blood calcium has to remain stable to operate properly so when it falls too low it begins "leaching" the bones to keep the blood levels up.
How is Gem doing today after her visit?
I hate to have to tell you this, but the Powersun has been a little questionable. Did you get the 100 watt or the 160 watt? If you got the 160 watt then it should be ok, but, there have been some problems with the new 100 watt bulbs.
At least she is not impacted though that is great news. I really think that she will pull through well for you, & you are doing a phenomenal job with her. I know Gem is very appreciative!
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Tracie,

No critical care that I know of. I've had her on liquid calcium, just not twice a day. :D She's on .1 1/3 cc a day for a week, I believe.

Gem is crashed. She's doing a lot better now that the anti inflammatory settled in and she isn't in pain anymore. :D :blob8: She's a cuddlebug, too. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I read your post in the Health section about Powersun. I got the 160 watt and I'll be watching her closely, just to be sure. The guy at Herpeton said that it was a new shipment, so hopefully it's not from a bad batch. Can I put her under it immediately, or is there some process I have to go through, or what?

Yep, I guess she wasn't pooing b/c there was nothing in her tummy, as opposed to not pooing b/c she couldn't!

Oh, and to the posts related to my RA, I'm not on meds for it. I'm just on painkillers. I'll have to try the cherry thing.... is the juice any good? My rheumatologist is Indian, and he's hilarious. After my first blood test, when my SED rate was through the roof, he said, and I quote, "Yes, there is definitely something cooky going on!" He's a fun doctor to go to.

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom