Need Help NOW For a Rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Jacqui, sounds like a good vet visit, you got some answers and some meds that should really make a difference. That's great that she is resting now & that the anti-inflammatory is helping her.

Regarding the PowerSun. Since it is the 160 watt, it needs to be a minimum of 18" from her when she's in the basking spot. How tall is your tank? I know the T-Rex & the Mega-ray need "burn in" time but I'm not sure about the PowerSun. What that means is that those bulbs get hotter after the 2nd & 3rd day of using them, so taking frequent temps readings is a good idea. What size tank is she in? Since you now have a MVB, you need to use calcium without D3 because those bulbs produce enough D3 of their own.

The vet sounds like he did look rather strange, but your doctor sounds like a fun guy. :p

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
Way to go Gem! So happy to hear your little one will be ok. Now to get YOU all better. You are to young to be dealing with arthritis, and to sweet at that!

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Jacqui- Happy dance for Gem's check up! :blob8: :blob5: MBD is not good but at least there are now other serious issues. Maybe the vet is so concerned about animals, he doesn't take time for himself? :?

Glad you have a good rhumitologist. Mine is great, but not funny. Of course at my age I guess I don't have to have funny. :D I hope the black cherry juice works for you. I'm going to get some today!

Katherine says to give Gem a smuggle and a wormie from her. :D :love10:

Sandy and Katherine

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The Powersun blew. Great. This is just.... perfect timing.... :banghead: WONDERFUL. What am I going to do now? My dad is taking us to a waterpark for the day and Gem has no UVB. :angry5:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
That is too bad that your Powersun blew on you. What type fixture did you have it in?

How is Gem doing today?

Hope you have fun at the waterpark! :D

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
*Relief*

So, my dad finally woke up.... and I told him it blew.... and he told me, "Are you sure it didn't overheat and shut itself off?"
Wha? Lightbulbs that shut themselves off?
So we re-installed it into a fixture.... and it still works. :banghead: (By now I'm chanting to myself, "I'm so stupid" I didn't even read the dang instructions, why do I need instructions on a light bulb, right. :oops:) Yaaaay, we didn't waste $70. Now I need a new fixture so it won't overheat. :D

Gem is doing good! So am I, I'm not ticked off anymore b/c my Powersun still works. :mrgreen:
She took her calcium like a big girl. I had to wedge the syringe in between her lips before she'd open up, but then she took it like a big girl and got a hornworm in reward. :D :blob8: She went 'om nom nom' then started looking for more.

Jacqui

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
So glad to hear your Powersun is back up and working. I assumed you knew all about mvb's because of your time on bd.org. I didn't think to mention any of the facts about using an mvb with you.

So....now you know they can overheat. If that happens again, wait for it too cool and turn back on. Make sure that the new fixture not only has a ceramic fitting, but that it has a rating of at least 250w.
You also don't want to have the bulb at a slant, but level...it will prematurely burn out!

So...are you heading out to the waterpark? I love waterparks. Love the big slides and the lazy rivers! :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Be sure that the fixture isn't a dimmer. The MVB won't work there either (live and learn on my end).

How's Gem doing today?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
How did I miss this???

Oh jaqui you have such a big heart little sister. You have enough on your plate as it is without taking in a rescue.

Im going to go back and have a nice read through of the topic.

Hugs
Holly

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Jacqui, just to let you know, Bill and I found a fixture at Home Depot that's a ceramic fixture rated for 300 watts for about $13 or so plus tax. I don't know if the price has gone up or not because we bought them back last October or November and we now have 4, because we thought we were going to get a rescue. We would have but the people who were giving it up wanted to keep it and it wasn't is good enough shape and we really couldn't afford the vet's bills it would take to make and keep her healthy. Any way, I just thought I'd let you know about that. I hope it helps a little.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
No. I know nothing about MVBs. Too many posts on them with info that contradict each other. So I ended up getting a deep dome fixture that only holds up to 160w, because the guru of wisdom at Herpeton said "yup, that's what you want!". :banghead: This is just not my day. Forgot to take my "happy pills", siblings are the worst, got the wrong fixture, Gem won't eat anything, I'm aching, I'm homesick.... ehhhhhhh....

Oh, yeah, and my 2 dozen crix chewed their way through the bag and are now LOOSE IN MY ROOM. :cry: I can say so long to sleep tonight.

See, this is one of those days when my life sucks. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Jacqui

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Well, I can't help a lot of those probs, but to help catch the crix, use an aquarium net. They work great! :D
Sorry you are having a bad day, ok were having, heavens it's late. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
(((HUGS))) from Auntie Sandy in TN. I know it's not Mom, but we love you too and hurt to see you hurt. :love10: Sending up prayers for you too. :D

Sandy H

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Catching crix... place a piece of fruit into a container that can't be chewed through, they'll find it.

Ask your rhumologiest (sp) about that black cherry juice.

I have two megas, and most if not all MVbs need a 4 day burn in time, as this will burn off the excess gasses produced at the "factory". Temps will increase by day two and three, with it reducing back to a normal temp by day four. So you'll want to watch that.

Hugs and snuggles for you, and hormworms and roaches for Gem and Momo!

Janie :)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Jacqui.....hope you are having a better day today! Yes, life can suck sometimes....you just have to take the good with the bad, sweetie! :D

Were you able to round up some of those crickets before heading off to bed?

How is little MoMo and sweet Gem doing today?

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Only 7 or 8 of the 24. :banghead:

Oh, so the temperature will rise again? That's good, it's 95* now at 20 inches away, I was about to get really frustrated with the thing. Rise, lower, rise, lower, rise, lower....

I have to wait until September if I'm asking my rheumatologist anything. I'm currently in Austin, Texas when my doc is in Pennsylvania so I don't exactly see him everyday. :roll:

Gem quit eating. I'm trying to give her soy yogurt for her gut flora, but she won't have it. The 8 crix are roaming in her tank, b/c I have nowhere else to put them (don't worry, she sleeps out) and she just stares at them boredly. She even denied a super! And, ugh, no poo. Need. Fecal. Woman.

MoMo's sitting around. Basking. Eating. Sleeping. Making messes out of his beardie pellets (which he loves, to eat and make messes out of). I feel guilty, I haven't held him much since he shed. He's probably wondering, "Does she not like me now that I shed off all my new skin?"

I feel awful today in general. My head is too cluttered and my leg is all but immobile (eet HURTS). Funny how I'm updating in an ER thread. Not exactly an emergency anymore, is it? Gah. I need to get back to the Rescue thread that I can't remember to update ever.

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom