Juno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glaurung
My little dragon has been eating voraciously for almost 3 weeks now, but he suddenly stopped eating.
It has been around 3 days since he stopped, and I've periodically kept him hydrated just in case.
I had a bearded dragon before that unfortunately passed away cause i realized she was sick too late, so i would like to not repeat the dreadful experience.
Any help is welcome, and I'll try to respond to any questions to the best of my abilities.

Juno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glaurung
Did you disinfect the tank after the other dragon died- your dragon is too young to not be eating- he won't last long- please get the tank up to par- keep him hydrated please
The little lizard ate some cockroaches!
But he still refuses vegetables...
On that note, i don't wanna give him crickets but i can't give him only common cockroaches, no?
Should i buy the soft honey moth caterpillars?
I also have dubias and the giant Madagascar ones, should i cut them to size?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The little lizard ate some cockroaches!
But he still refuses vegetables...
On that note, i don't wanna give him crickets but i can't give him only common cockroaches, no?
Should i buy the soft honey moth caterpillars?
I also have dubias and the giant Madagascar ones, should i cut them to size?
Do not feed the Madagascar --- please get some BSFL and use them as salad lures to the salad bowl - they are a great staple for babies -- feed as many as you want but in small amounts like 20 at a time drop them in his bowl in front of him so it gets his attention - if he really goes for them he will eat them too fast and they will come out undigested - please use the dubias as a back up staple so he gets full --- the BSFL feed first thing in the morning w/ his salads -- heres a website so you know what I am talking about www.symtonbsf.com-- you will need a bowl like this or similar so they stay in the bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
these make great salad bowls-- I am not sure what the honey moth caterpillars are -- can you post a pic of it please -- I have not heard of them unless they are named by a different name - super worms horn worms butter worms are all good treat worms as well that can be fed but every couple of days - you dont want him hooked on the worms -- I would feed just you dubias crickets and BSFL along w/ the worms mentioned - NO Madagascar or cockroaches

Juno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glaurung
I was gonna build a black soldier fly reproduction bin anyway, so this just makes me want to build it sooner ^^
Mh~ I'll expand the cockroaches bins too, starting from the dubias, seeing that they will be his main food for now.

I searched online for the English name, and the moths i was talking about should be called "wax worms".
I've successfully breeded them in the past, so i could do it again if needed.
I also know how to breed mealworms(both the big and small species), so i could give him a large variety of insects if it means a better diet ^^

Oh, about crickets... I really hate them, they smell, make noise, are delicate, and hard to catch, so i would like to avoid keeping them if possible.
I tried keeping both the banded and the acheta ones but, while i still successfully breeded them in small numbers, i found them an unreliable food source unless kept in very large populations.
I could try locusts or grasshoppers if they would be better, but it's still an investment i would have to make in the future, since i need to clear and prepare a space just to keep the bins/nets.

Thanks very much for your help!
Honestly, I'm a bit of a worrywart, so your responses helped make me feel a bit better ^^
I really love animals, especially the one i care for, so i often get panic attacks if something bad happens... (I have chronic anxiety unfortunately)
Maybe i may be worrying too much, but thank you for your help regardless <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was gonna build a black soldier fly reproduction bin anyway, so this just makes me want to build it sooner ^^
Mh~ I'll expand the cockroaches bins too, starting from the dubias, seeing that they will be his main food for now.

I searched online for the English name, and the moths i was talking about should be called "wax worms".
I've successfully breeded them in the past, so i could do it again if needed.
I also know how to breed mealworms(both the big and small species), so i could give him a large variety of insects if it means a better diet ^^

Oh, about crickets... I really hate them, they smell, make noise, are delicate, and hard to catch, so i would like to avoid keeping them if possible.
I tried keeping both the banded and the acheta ones but, while i still successfully breeded them in small numbers, i found them an unreliable food source unless kept in very large populations.
I could try locusts or grasshoppers if they would be better, but it's still an investment i would have to make in the future, since i need to clear and prepare a space just to keep the bins/nets.

Thanks very much for your help!
Honestly, I'm a bit of a worrywart, so your responses helped make me feel a bit better ^^
I really love animals, especially the one i care for, so i often get panic attacks if something bad happens... (I have chronic anxiety unfortunately)
Maybe i may be worrying too much, but thank you for your help regardless <3
Please limit the wax worms- they are fatty and if fed to often they can create liver issues

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going?
Good luck with your insect breeding, it does take time to get it all going.
You can feed a few waxworms as treats, but not on a regular basis. Definitely post a picture of the honey moth caterpillars, I haven't ever seen or heard of those before.

Tracie

Juno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glaurung
Hello,

How are things going?
Good luck with your insect breeding, it does take time to get it all going.
You can feed a few waxworms as treats, but not on a regular basis. Definitely post a picture of the honey moth caterpillars, I haven't ever seen or heard of those before.

Tracie
Howdy

I have dubia and giant hissing Madagascar cockroaches breeding buckets already since we have a lot of insectivores in the house ^^ (blue tongue skink, leopard gecko, hedgehog, the cat, and we used to have chameleons and other lizards too)
About the honey caterpillars, turns out they are called wax worms in English 😅 in italian the name is "tarma del miele" wich is something along the lines of honey moth, but they are sold as something like mealworms and have other names too, so it gets confusing.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom