Moving to Australia with my dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
My boyfriend currently lives in Australia and I live in the U.S. I was curious...

If I move to Australia, am I allowed to take my dragon with me?

How much would it cost?

What's the process?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
My guess is no, because in Australia I believe you have to have a license or a registration to keep pet reptiles, plus I'm sure there's quarantine laws, or regulations since they are a wild species in Australia, so bringing a captive bred dragon in is most likely an issue. Someone else who knows for certain can chime in, but I've heard several people talk about Australia having very strict laws about owning reptiles as pets..

Stres

Hatchling Member
EllenD":3p0gibmq said:
My guess is no, because in Australia I believe you have to have a license or a registration to keep pet reptiles, plus I'm sure there's quarantine laws, or regulations since they are a wild species in Australia, so bringing a captive bred dragon in is most likely an issue. Someone else who knows for certain can chime in, but I've heard several people talk about Australia having very strict laws about owning reptiles as pets..

I think they are very strict about letting anything into the country, anything from Seeds and plants to animals.

I had two friends move there a few years ago and they were basically forced to leave their dogs with family due to how hard it was to move them over there, I think even johnny Depp (rich actor) couldn't take his dogs if I remember correctly.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
I don't know if it's possible, they aren't on the list of animals that you can import, so I doubt it. Even if you could, you'd have to jump through some hoops.
You'd have to have a license, (you need an Australian residential address, so you'd either need someone to look after him while waiting for it to be approved after you moved, or you could get your boyfriend to be his licensed owner for a while), and I believe you'd also need an import license.
My guess is that you'd also need to be able to prove where and when you bought him, and get him tested for adenovirus.

Maybe you can give the department of agriculture, land and water a ring, and see if they can advise you further.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses. I really hope that it is possible. I expect it to cost a fortune and be a huge headache. I'm not sure what I'll do if it comes to that. I have a snake and two kitties as well. I can't imagine choosing between them or my future with my boyfriend. It would be heart breaking either way. =[

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sorry but , even though bearded dragons are native to Australia and very common in the wild (even in suburbia) , the reptile deseases that are common in the USA are unheardof here in Australia.

You will not be allowed to import your pet bearded dragon from the USA to Australia , there are no exceptions , this is to protect our indigenous wild reptiles and captive bred reptiles from introduced deseases that they will have no defences for.

The import of reptiles into Australia are strictly forbidden , many reptile keepers here (in Australia would love to have non-native reptiles (but they are not able to) see http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/natives , still no harm in asking the Dept of Environment http://www.environment.gov.au/ about importing your pets to Australia.

The cat , maybe but it will involve a long period of quarranteen.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, I actually went and researched after reading this post, and there is absolutely NO WAY to bring a reptile from the US into Australia, and actually it makes perfect sense why you can't. Adenovirus is only one of many diseases that are unheard of in Australia, and since beardies are indigenous to Australia, bringing an infected reptile in from another country could be catastrophic. So I'm sorry, but there's no way you can bring your beardie at all.

The kitten is also most likely a no, based on what I read on the Australian government page I read, as even if you go through all the hoops it takes to get a residence and apply for all of the quarantine and health allotments, typically they won't let you bring in any animals to Australia from another country, and if they do it costs thousands and thousands of dollars. There are a few Johnny Depp articles online that talk about his dog, he was denied entrance to Australia with the dog, and he went through all the red tape and paid the big bucks...Then was denied...That kind of sucks. But they have their reasons I guess...Sorry you can't take them, you'd think the cat would be alright after a long quarantine...I understand about the reptiles though... That's how the US ended up with HIV, importing animals for the pet trade...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":gxh1k98q said:
I don't know if it's possible, they aren't on the list of animals that you can import, so I doubt it. Even if you could, you'd have to jump through some hoops.
You'd have to have a license, (you need an Australian residential address, so you'd either need someone to look after him while waiting for it to be approved after you moved, or you could get your boyfriend to be his licensed owner for a while), and I believe you'd also need an import license.
My guess is that you'd also need to be able to prove where and when you bought him, and get him tested for adenovirus. <<< its not just ADV , there are many reptile deseases present in the USA that are not seen here in Australia , as well as parasites.

Maybe you can give the department of agriculture, land and water a ring, and see if they can advise you further.

There is a long history of introduced animals becoming noxious pests and causing carnage and mayhem here in Australia , just a few are
>> indian minors
>> cane toads
>> rabbits
>> house mice
>> ratus ratus
>> goats
>> camels
>> horses
>> pigs
>> cattle
>> sheep
>> Asian buffalo
>> argentine ants
>> cats
>> dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom