Bearded dragon not allowes in complex

Vanna

Original Poster
I think you have to ask a doctor to fill out a statement saying it's needed, then request a "reasonable accommodation" form at the apartment community.
It's a lot of hoopla to go through i know, but it beats having to give up your beardie.
It DEFINITELY does, I'd if this is what if meanest to keep Harvey II I'll gladly do it! My mother is having an upcoming doctors appointment so she'll ask about it there!!

Vanna

Original Poster
I think you can keep your beardie without doing that.
I wish... I called them today with the same answer, if I snuck my bearded dragon into the apartment it would be a "violation of the lease" and me and my mom could get evicted.. I'm gonna try what xp29 said and register my little guy as an emotional support animal!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great idea. Let us know how things turn out. I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to give up
my dragon like that, either. It isn't fair.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please do let us know, especially if it works. We can start recommending it to everyone in a similar situation 😁

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I was going to say the emotional support animal- while it doesnt guarantee, most housing authority wont take the risk. Don't listen to @xp29 on this matter, he's biased :) i am kidding, you can listen to him. Don't give up. Fight for your beardie, find another location or we will all call or send emails for you..I will! no one, I mean no one will tell me no to my beardie, well maybe Ruby but Rocky....NEVER!!!

Vanna

Original Poster
Update 9/18 (I dont know if there is a feature to update the thread so im just leaving a comment): Due to recent events u related to this entire situation I'll be going to counseling soon, So I'll ask for a emotional pet support soon. Earlier me and my mom looked for emotional support forms to fill out and we couldn't find anything that wasn't like..$150. My mom is going to the doctors today and I think she'll ask about the emotional support there but she might not remember.
I'll look more into getting a emotional support form from a therapist, especially since October is coming up soon.
I'll keep you guys updated

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good luck, do keep us updated on how things go! It's never good to have to give up a dragon, over
housing rules. I really do hope that things work out for you & your dragon.

Tracie

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I'm very sorry you're having this issue. I agree getting documentation for your Dragon as an emotional support animal is probably the best bet.

I would also be getting in touch with any advocacy groups and providing them with the contact information of the apartment complex to see if they have more luck making a case for you.

Organizations can and do ignore the the legal requirements for recognizing emotional support animals. Some states have even passed laws to try to make it easier for you to be denied your rights in this regard.

I think the best case scenario is they amend thier blanket ban on reptiles to allow reptiles under 5 lbs. That way no one is worried about encountering an alligator in the hallway but you get to keep your Beardie which is far less dangerous than even a chihuahua off leash.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom