Bearded dragon not allowes in complex

Vanna

Hello, recently my mother has been accepted to move in a new apartment
We have a bearded dragon, Harvey whose around three years old.

The apartment that were moving into is pet friendly, as it gladly accepts people with dogs and cats Into the apartment
But today my mother was informed that there was a specific rule that didn't allow lizards I to the apartment.
You can't lizards in that complex but the same complex allows cats and dogs.

I called them today and they said the reasonings for not accepting lizards are they could "get out" which I then explain that my bearded dragon HAS a cage but they said it's still now allowed.
The lady that I spoke to said she would call back if anything changed.
I'm going to keep calling then back to ask about it to hopefully speak to the person that made this rule.
But does anyone know a way to help or assist? If the rule stays then I won't be able to keep my bearded dragon, Harvey II :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, recently my mother has been accepted to move in a new apartment
We have a bearded dragon, Harvey whose around three years old.

The apartment that were moving into is pet friendly, as it gladly accepts people with dogs and cats Into the apartment
But today my mother was informed that there was a specific rule that didn't allow lizards I to the apartment.
You can't lizards in that complex but the same complex allows cats and dogs.

I called them today and they said the reasonings for not accepting lizards are they could "get out" which I then explain that my bearded dragon HAS a cage but they said it's still now allowed.
The lady that I spoke to said she would call back if anything changed.
I'm going to keep calling then back to ask about it to hopefully speak to the person that made this rule.
But does anyone know a way to help or assist? If the rule stays then I won't be able to keep my bearded dragon, Harvey II :(
Unbelievable :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm sorry to hear that.
Maybe takecyout beardie in the office and let them meet him. If they see he is friendly and harmless maybe they will change their minds.
My girlfriend is in the apartment industry. I know for sure any accommodations they make for one person they have to make for all. They allow other pets. If they won't budge you might try contacting the local housing authority and lodge a complaint.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This doesn't sound right. You can explain to them that having a small reptile would be much less problem for them in terms of possible damage created by larger pets like dogs [ especially ] and cats that can tear , mess on, or claw up wood, carpet, flooring etc.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i've never come across this personally, but i know friends that live in places with the same policy. i am wondering if it is an insurance coverage issue for them because of the lights constantly being on. similar to the no aquariums policy because of the potential for water damage. no clue, just a guess.

Vanna

Original Poster
This doesn't sound right. You can explain to them that having a small reptile would be much less problem for them in terms of possible damage created by larger pets like dogs [ especially ] and cats that can tear , mess on, or claw up wood, carpet, flooring etc.
I'll try calling them today and explain that to them, I'll keep calling them and asking about it until Monday when I visit there in person! Thank you for your suggestion!
i've never come across this personally, but i know friends that live in places with the same policy. i am wondering if it is an insurance coverage issue for them because of the lights constantly being on. similar to the no aquariums policy because of the potential for water damage. no clue, just a guess.
Alright! I have a plan to visit the apartment's front office on Monday, but I think I'll just bring pictures and videos of him in his enclosure to show the people there! Thank you for this suggestions!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I talked to my girlfriend, there is a loophole you can use. If you go to any kind of doctor or nurse practitioner or shrink ect and get a statement you need an emotional support animal and your beardie is that animal, you can ask for a "reasonable accommodation" form and they can't turn you down. She has worked in the apartment industry for over 30 years and is a regional manger so she knows the in and outs of it.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I talked to my girlfriend, there is a loophole you can use. If you go to any kind of doctor or nurse practitioner or shrink ect and get a statement you need an emotional support animal and your beardie is that animal, you can ask for a "reasonable accommodation" form and they can't turn you down. She has worked in the apartment industry for over 30 years and is a regional manger so she knows the in and outs of it.
is that for emotional support animals or only service animals? just a curiosity because the difference between the two came up at work this week. great thing to sort out on the first week of a new job!

Vanna

Original Poster
is that for emotional support animals or only service animals? just a curiosity because the difference between the two came up at work this week. great thing to sort out on the first week of a new job!
Oh okay! Thank you! I'll DEFINITELY try this!!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
She said they have to make accommodations for emotional support animals also 🙂

Vanna

Original Poster
Hello again! We were wondering if there was a form you have to fill out to register a pet for an emotional support pet...

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I think you have to ask a doctor to fill out a statement saying it's needed, then request a "reasonable accommodation" form at the apartment community.
It's a lot of hoopla to go through i know, but it beats having to give up your beardie.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom