morph question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
What do snow x leucistic babies look like? I just got mine and it looks normal. Do they lighten with each shed?

Thanks,
Stephanie

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Hmmm ...Snow ( visually light colored not clear nailed [hypo] X lecistic (light colored clear nailed hypo)

without seeing the parents I would guess that your dragon doesn't have clear nails (hypomelanism)?

Even "marketed leucistics" and "snows" will have some color as juvies they wash out their pattern and color with age. Unless you have a "collector" quality dragon that came out paper white and will not need to change.

Hope this helps

Jeff

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Jeff,

thanks for the response. Yeah she has color in her nails. So color at birth is normal but it will wash out as they grow. That is sort of what I thought. There is more white in her then my others but that is becuase they are citrus, and reds! :D I guess we will see what she will grow into. I was hoping to have a "white white" to add to my breeders. If she is a snow crossed with leucistic does that mean if I breed her with a snow I will get white babies? At the same time if I mate her to my hypo citrus will I get all hypo's?

One more question for you as this one confuses me the most. How do you tell if they are hypo? If you have 1 hypo parent and 1 non hypo parent you can have hatchlings that are hypo and some that are not. How can you tell which babies are which? I see some breeders that say clear nail hypo and non clear nail hypo. What is the different, other then the obvious one has clear nails and one does not. I know with corn snakes hypo means lacking black or dark pigmentation.

Thank you for your help.

Stephanie

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
This is the best page I've seen on Hypomelanism. It gets a little too "genetic science" for some but it explains a lot. (I've read it at least 20 times, lol)
http://www.dachiu.com/beardeddragoncare/hypomelanism.html

Snow is a light colored dragon, kinda like you day yellow or red. I tend to think of a snow as a light colored dragon that is not hypo ( clear nails).

If she is het for hypomelanism and you breed her with another het, or a visual hypo(clear nails) you will get some hypos. If she isn't a het, and you breed her with a hypo, you get all hets.

oh yeah... there are no hypos with dark nails, all hypos have 20 clear nails.

Recessive trait genetics can be a little confusing, but it gets easier to understand with time.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom