No shed for 4 months

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Not a health concern, just a general question. Leo hasn’t shed since early September, his tail looks like it is about to shed although it’s been like this for about a month with no progress made other than discolouration.

Is he just taking a very long break in growing? Is it the semi-brumation? What’s up? Also, off topic but the time gaps between when he passes stool has drastically increased to every 1-2 weeks. Is that normal at this time of year?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not a health concern, just a general question. Leo hasn’t shed since early September, his tail looks like it is about to shed although it’s been like this for about a month with no progress made other than discolouration.

Is he just taking a very long break in growing? Is it the semi-brumation? What’s up? Also, off topic but the time gaps between when he passes stool has drastically increased to every 1-2 weeks. Is that normal at this time of year?
Dragons shed at different times of the year -- no specific time -- as dragons get older the pooping slows down --- as long as everything is on par in the tank w/ temps and UVB and diet is good he will eventually poop

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Dragons shed at different times of the year -- no specific time -- as dragons get older the pooping slows down --- as long as everything is on par in the tank w/ temps and UVB and diet is good he will eventually poop
Yeah, alright. He has a 4 month old Arcadia T5 UVB, his temps are between 95-105 degrees measured with a digital probe thermometer. He gets 10 crickets 5 days a week and salads of fresh greens daily, calcium supplemented 3x a week and multivitamin supplemented 2x a week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah, alright. He has a 4 month old Arcadia T5 UVB, his temps are between 95-105 degrees measured with a digital probe thermometer. He gets 10 crickets 5 days a week and salads of fresh greens daily, calcium supplemented 3x a week and multivitamin supplemented 2x a week.
Please feed more than 10 crickets - he needs more than that - protein is his main diet -- he should be eating at least 25 crickets per feeding - feedings of 2-3 time per day -- where is the Arcadia UVB? top of screen or inside the tank ---- screens block 30% of the rays and if its a fine mesh screen hes not getting much UVB on top

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Please feed more than 10 crickets - he needs more than that - protein is his main diet -- he should be eating at least 25 crickets per feeding - feedings of 2-3 time per day -- where is the Arcadia UVB? top of screen or inside the tank ---- screens block 30% of the rays and if its a fine mesh screen hes not getting much UVB on top
I was told by people on this site to start the transition to his adult diet early, since his metabolism was slowing and he was gaining a lot of weight with his previous diet.

I’m still finding what works best for him. He hasn’t lost any weight, and in fact he still has a bit of chub. I’ll sort protein out once he’s gotten back to a stable weight.

His UVB is 14% for the time being, until the enclosure I ordered arrives so it can fit inside. I’ve followed the advice of trusted users here, so I am not very concerned.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I was told by people on this site to start the transition to his adult diet early, since his metabolism was slowing and he was gaining a lot of weight with his previous diet.

I’m still finding what works best for him.

His IVB is 14% for the time being, until the enclosure I ordered arrives so it can fit inside. I’ve followed the advice of trusted users here, so I am not very concerned.
What is his weight like now? And how old is he?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
What is his weight like now? And how old is he?
He is 10 months old, and sits at around 21.5 inches and 500 grams (I’ve confirmed his age with the breeder, so I am completely sure he is not older than that).

Here is a picture from Wednesday:
1701447376062.jpeg

His belly isn’t visible from this picture, I’ll get a better one later.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is 10 months old, and sits at around 21.5 inches and 500 grams (I’ve confirmed his age with the breeder, so I am completely sure he is not older than that).

Here is a picture from Wednesday: View attachment 85668
His belly isn’t visible from this picture, I’ll get a better one later.
He looks good - so yeah I agree your diet is good -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom