Kratos And Xerxes(even if he is a she)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost our little man on Friday OUTSIDE! I had let Kratos out of his cage because he was going stir crazy. He wanted to go outside...now that the weather has been nice I put him out in his cage everyday....however friday I just let him roam in the house because I was in a hurry. NOW I wish I would have taken the time to put him out in his cage. I didn't realize when I let him out that one of the kids opened on of the windows that I had taken the screens off to wash and hadn't put back on. The windows are only 11 inches from the floor and are his favorite basking spot in the house. I left him out while I ran errands because our living rooms where he roams are totally safe and there is nowhere for him to hide. When we came home my son started looking for him and we quickly realized that he had gotten out. We looked all over our back yard and went to the neighbors houses. I've talked to the neighbors behind us and on our court, I put an add on craigslist, and today I'm putting up flyers around the neighborhood. My fear is that a cat or hawk got him and I'm just worried sick. Those of you who have lost your beardies outside and found them, what were the temps outside, and how far from home did they get? Can you think of anything else that I should be doing?

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Open a Paypal account and ask for donations. You could also get the kids involved and have a little lemonade stand/bake sale to raise some money for vet care. Have him out with you during the sale so people can see that he needs help. You could also contact your local paper and see if they will do a story on how you found Kratos and this other beardie to drum up some support. Good luck!

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Call the lady tell her u want her to chip in 75% o the money for vet care cause u shouldn't get stuck with it all that's what I would do!!!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
I'm pretty sure I saw the Reptile Rescue girls talking about picking up in California somewhere recently, maybe you could message them on getting him picked up? Good luck with the hubby! I hope he can be somewhat understanding. I know mine WOULD NOT be. He just doesn't like any animals anymore after his beloved german shepherd got put down 13 years ago! :( I personally think he just distances himself from becoming attached to any animal because he was so devastated when we put Bondo down. :( He did ask how Dino was doing a couple times though when she was very sick... :shock: I almost fell over! Fingers crossed for you that there isn't a huge blowout about it! :p

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Zeusmybeardie":9pm79lc9 said:
Call the lady tell her u want her to chip in 75% o the money for vet care cause u shouldn't get stuck with it all that's what I would do!!!

I kinda agree with Zeus on this one. Would the lady who gave him to you help financially? I know it is a long shot and not the phone call you really want to make, but it could work out in your favor.

My second reaction after the talk of YF, is just please be careful. My husband and I have had some long talks about taking in rescues and it is just always understood that we would not take in a rescue that could harm our other dragons. YF is a really scary thing to me - I'm not sure if I could handle it, but I have a full house and it's a lot to deal with. I'm sure without the possibility of YF it could be do-able if you had some financial help, but the infection controls you need to have in place to protect Kratos are tough. Your son would have to be hands off the new beardie, for starters. Do you think he could do that?

Poor beardie!!

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
I would love to help you with this guy. We don't have vets on staff but if they need vet treatment we take them in. We also get help form teh greats. Cheryl, Beth, Joanne. They are all great not to mention we are all pretty well versed in bearded care. It is the reptile we know best. Please let me know if we can help or pick this one up.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sue, which group?? I went on the weebly site and couldn't tell where any of the people were from. I contacted a Jennifer who runs http://www.creepycrittersrescue.com/ in LosBanos CA. She is familiar with this board. She can come pick him up Friday however, I still worry as I've never been to her facilities, but she is a vet tech and after talking with her I feel she knows her stuff. I just want to make sure I place him in good care...I've placed and animal before without a contract and unfortunately the animal ended up in a not so good environment and I've regretted it ever since. Its very hard to place animals in good homes and unfortunately just because someone runs a rescue doesn't mean they provide good care.

As for the Lady I took him from she never wanted to keep him in the first place. I got the impression she was on a fixed income and I don't believe she has the means to care for him let alone help me. I took him because I wanted to make sure he goes somewhere safe. The thing that irritates me is that I gave Animal control the numbers to both rescue groups near us and she failed to call them. He would have had vet care by now.

Shannon I have mixed feelings about fungus. Ive dealt with it in the past and because of that I'm pretty sure that Kratos has had it as well in fact the spots are slightly there again after him being gone. However, remember I make my own probiotics and I feel they are super potent compared to anything sold on shelves! I have had those spots disappear on Kratos in two days time after applying silverdine cream and my probiotics. I just never had proof...nor do I have $ or funding to do research on how my probiotics affect the health of my dragon or others.
This a a picture of Kratos and what I suspected to be the beginning of fungus. As I said it took two days to clear I treated for 4 days of probiotics, and silverdine no baths.
f1373787.jpg

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
Yes I have 2 girls on Cali and train members. I understand wanting to make sure they go to good homes. That is our number one priority. What I did was take a number already rescuing beardie lovers all that are active here and the Facebook groups and organized them. We are still working out minor kinks. But we have an application proccess for our rescuers and a very strict contract/application for our adoptive parents. We would be happy to include you in the adoption proccess. It is also in the contract that if for any reason they can not keep their new baby it comes back to us for health check and rehoming. All our rescues are in good health when we home them.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Do you have a paypal account? I would be happy to donate to you for a vet, meds, and equipment fund. I'm sure others will too! We all love our beardies. Many donating a few dollars adds up fast. If you post your paypal address I'll start with a personal donation of $5.00. Also, I am very happy to read you are concerned and want to place him in good care. I am on the board of Reptile Rescuers of the United States.
Amanda

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Crystal I will PM you in the morning I'd like to speak to you over the phone maybe?
Amanda,thank you I appreciate it. If I end up keeping him I just may take you up on the offer. I know if I don't find him a home quickly it's going to be really hard for me to part with him. He's so sweet but scared to death. He will let you hold him but he freaks out when you first go to pick him up, he calms down when you talk to him for a min. He is a syringe eating champ!!! I gave him some blended greens, liquid calcium, and some carnivore care. He ended up eating about 7ml total today.

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
Sure thing! Pm me in the morning. My phone number is 802-839-9072. I have a new girl in Cali. Where are you located so I can see who is closest and have them or the rescue train ready if you decide to leave him in our care. That's the longest part of the proccess getting the transportation set up.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
YAY! :blob5: I'm so glad you guys are getting in touch! I hope everything works out for the best for your new little friend Jewls!!! He/she sure does have a sweet little face! :love5: He's definitely in good hands with you "for now" and if he ends up going with one of the Rescuers, he'll be in good hands then too! :notworthy: to all of you for stepping up for this poor, lost little guy! Let us know if you decide to go the PayPal account route for his care while you have him!

BonesMommy1011

Hatchling Member
SpikesAGirl-
I just wanted to thank you for mentioning our rescue group. Without people like you, people would know about us! I'm Samantha and Chance was my rescue. Thank you for sharing his story too! While his death still has a huge hole in me, I've since taken in 3 more rescues. I know its what Chance would have wanted. Im pretty good with the super sickly ones. I know I can't save them all, but I'll die trying.

Jewl- I hope you find a great home for this guy! I've been wondering about him since you mentioned him in your post when your dragon was lost! Please keeps us updated!

If you come across any more sick reptiles, don't forget about our rescue. We should be getting business cards soon!!

Thanks,
Samantha and critters!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
You really have some neat ideas with your probiotics! I can't tell anything really by that picture of Kratos to know that was YF but if it was and it's gone now, that's pretty incredible. Crystalryan - just wow. You are doing so much good! I had no idea you all had a network like you do!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
I'm glad I know about your group Samantha to help get the word out for beardies in need! :wink: Poor little Chance...he really touched a lot of hearts here. I know you tried so hard to help him, but, like you said, you can't save them all unfortunately. :( I hope your current rescues will be okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom