is this norrmal

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3ppit

How about supplementation? (Vitamins, minerals, calcium carbonate)

All the insects I know of have an unfavorable calcium/phosphorus (spell?) ratio, so they should be dusted with / shaken in a vita-mineral blend suitable for reptiles occasionally and in calcium carbonate on every feeding. (I agree on the meal worm part, they should only be used as snacks - the chitin in their exoskeleton can also be hard to digest.) A diverse diet is a good start; Gryllus bimaculatus, Gryllus assimilis or other crickets, Blaptica dubia, Panchlora sp., Stilpnochlora couloniana or other hopper locusts represent a stable basic diet.

You can supplement with different larvae like the larvae of Galleria mellonella and Pachnoda marginata peregrina, Zophobas atratus - both the larvae and the beetle... Insects from Mother Nature will also be a good supplement - just make sure you don't collect from areas near busy roads or places where there is a risc that the area has been sprayed with insecticides or other agricultural sprays. I collect carabid beetles (like Carabus nemoralis, C. violaceus and C. coriaceus) in the forest and the beardies love them - they can be easily housed in a plastic tank with some untreated garden mould / sphagnum as substrate and pieces of tree bark as hideouts. The beetles feed on naked snails / slugs, earth worms and such...

(Writing all this from a Danish point of view where all these insects are available - I don't know what you can find other places.)

If it's a baby you might as well get him/her started on the greens as well, if it's an adult he/she should already be consuming leafy greens.

And how about the setup? Are the temperatures correct? UV lighting, size of the viv [...] ?

The temperature gradient should go from 40-45 deg. Celsius (aah bugger, you people use the Fahrenheit scale *taking out the ol' dusty calculator*) 104 F - 113 F directly under the basking spot (85 - 95 in the warm end of the enclosure) to approx. 78 F in the cool end.

In my humble opinion anything smaller than 120 x 60 x 60 cm or roughly 47 x 23,5 x 23,5 inches (length x depth x height) for one grown up beardie is pure maltreatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom