Is the zilla Desert series a good uvb light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked for recent reviews on this bulb(2017) and can't find any. My question is have they fixed the problems with this bulb and is it a good bulb to use for my new bearded? Pls help!!!!!!!

Kiko112016

Original Poster
I thought it was the same as the reptisun 10.0 and the zilla tropical series 25 was like a 5.0? It says on the box the uvb intensity at 4" or less is 100 microwatts and from 4 to 12" its 50 microwatts. My beardie can get about 9 or 10" from the light.

Kiko112016

Original Poster
I have a zilla Desert series 50 T8 about 10" or so from my beardie.on the box it says he's getting 50 microwatts at this distance. I know this light had very bad reviews a few years back but I was told those problems are fixed now??? It doesn't seem to bother him he's eating good(15-20 crickets in a feeding 3x a day) and has plenty of energy and "alertness". If this light is gonna cause my dragon problems though, I wanna change to the reptisun 10.0 before it does.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kiko112016":1rm62nn5 said:
I have a zilla Desert series 50 T8 about 10" or so from my beardie.on the box it says he's getting 50 microwatts at this distance. I know this light had very bad reviews a few years back but I was told those problems are fixed now??? It doesn't seem to bother him he's eating good(15-20 crickets in a feeding 3x a day) and has plenty of energy and "alertness". If this light is gonna cause my dragon problems though, I wanna change to the reptisun 10.0 before it does.

I wouldn't risk it .... I'd recommend an ExoTerra or Arcadia T8 10-14% UVB tube.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Arcadia and Zoomed at the currently recommended brands in the US. Many of the really dangerous problems with other brands have been solved years ago but I haven't seen updates on their latest lamps or the quality of them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've used a few of the Desert 50 bulbs and haven't had any problems. I'm not certain of the quality/consistency between bulbs but the ones I had were nice and bright. I got some pretty decent UVI readings from the one I tested at about 6-8'' below the bulb. I'd say 10'' is a bit far out to be very effective. This is the same bulb that PetSmart packages as the All Living Things brand.

76248-7798083620.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Desert 50 is Zilla's version of the ReptiSun 10.0. It's OK from what I know about it. Optimal distance from the bulb is about 6-8'' as output drops quickly beyond 8'' or so.

Kiko112016

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3f9xzfav said:
The Desert 50 is Zilla's version of the ReptiSun 10.0. It's OK from what I know about it. Optimal distance from the bulb is about 6-8'' as output drops quickly beyond 8'' or so.

Thanks for the help! I feel alot safer now using this bulb.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[I merged your 2 threads since they were asking the same question]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiegates
Top Bottom