Appropriate UVB Lighting

Beardie name(s)
D.A.
Hi everyone. I am a new juvenile bearded dragon owner. My dragon recently had a vet visit and I was told he has the beginnings of a calcium deficiency. One of the recommendations was to change his lighting. He previously only had a 75 watt baskong bulb. So, I upgraded his tank.

For his new set up I used the picture on this site to him with set up. I purchased a 18 in Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB light (I mounted it inside the tank on the back wall). He also has a 100w zedmed basking bulb set up above the tank (w/o a mesh top). The T8 UVB is 6.8 inches from his basking spot. I want to make sure this is an appropriate set up because I have noticed him flaring up (which he's never done before). Any advice?

NewBeardieGirl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
D.A.
Here is my setup

Attachments

• 20240219_092323.jpg
    20240219_092323.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240219_092308.jpg
    20240219_092308.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240219_092303.jpg
    20240219_092303.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 27

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Congrats on your new beardie and welcome to the forum.
My advice is to mount the light overhead. When they are mounted on the wall like that it can damage their eyes over time. Is the light a Zilla brand? The reason I ask is you said it's 18 inches. If it's zilla those have a plastic cover over the bulb, it's imperative to take that cover off. It blocks 100% of the uvb rendering the light useless.

NewBeardieGirl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
D.A.
Congrats on your new beardie and welcome to the forum.
My advice is to mount the light overhead. When they are mounted on the wall like that it can damage their eyes over time. Is the light a Zilla brand? The reason I ask is you said it's 18 inches. If it's zilla those have a plastic cover over the bulb, it's imperative to take that cover off. It blocks 100% of the uvb rendering the light useless.
Thank you for replying. The brand is Reptisun. Any recommendations on how to mount it overhead and not block the basking bulb?

I also checked and there is no cover on the bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you for replying. The brand is Reptisun. Any recommendations on how to mount it overhead and not block the basking bulb?

I also checked and there is no cover on the bulb
You can use 3M Velcro fasteners --- fishing line-- long plastic zip ties or picture wire hangers - I recommend those - they are bendable

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I like the picture wire personally, you can twist it together and know it won't fall

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom