how do i breed crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
IME it's more trouble than it's worth. But if you want to try it. You need adults, something moist for them to lay their eggs in. the egg area has to remain moist or you'll dry out your eggs and they'll die. It's been a while, but I think they do best in slightly higher than room temps. If you done everything ok you'll have pinheads in a few weeks. I would recommend making lay boxes out of something you can remove to another bin because it can be difficult to clean out the bin if it's just laying on the floor like a substrate. You'll have to replenish your adults frequently until you are self sustaining because they only live like 2 weeks by the time they reach sexual maturity. Make sure you keep plenty of food for them because they are cannabalistic.

crickets are not very hardy, and they'll die if you look at them wrong. It''s much easier to breed roaches. It costs a little more to start up, and they don't reproduce even close to the same numbers, but they aren't as delicate as crickets. They reproduce at a steady rate that gets explosive after a few months. They don't smell, or make noise. they can't jump and they are lousy climbers.

Cheline101

ziggy23":2qs6336w said:
IME it's more trouble than it's worth. But if you want to try it. You need adults, something moist for them to lay their eggs in. the egg area has to remain moist or you'll dry out your eggs and they'll die. It's been a while, but I think they do best in slightly higher than room temps. If you done everything ok you'll have pinheads in a few weeks. I would recommend making lay boxes out of something you can remove to another bin because it can be difficult to clean out the bin if it's just laying on the floor like a substrate. You'll have to replenish your adults frequently until you are self sustaining because they only live like 2 weeks by the time they reach sexual maturity. Make sure you keep plenty of food for them because they are cannabalistic.

crickets are not very hardy, and they'll die if you look at them wrong. It''s much easier to breed roaches. It costs a little more to start up, and they don't reproduce even close to the same numbers, but they aren't as delicate as crickets. They reproduce at a steady rate that gets explosive after a few months. They don't smell, or make noise. they can't jump and they are lousy climbers.

I like how you put that - "they'll die if you look at them wrong" I was thinking about breeding them myself because I'm broke and I'm sick of buying them... and they're all my beardie really likes... but it just seems like too much of a pain and I kinda get the feeling that i'm going to have to turn the whole garage into a breeding room for the crickets.... i guess hard labor is one's alternative to blowing all their money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom