Another clutch.??

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Dreki is getting ready to lay her FOURTH clutch of infertile eggs since December. I only know she is because she is acting the exact same way. She'd lay the clutch then for two or three weeks, she'd be great. Shed bask, she'd eat and just chill. Then started the pacing, then the digging in the box, then scratching incessantly to get out. She did that the last three times for about two to three weeks before laying a clutch of 27 to 31 eggs. Surely this can't be normal.? A clutch every month for four months.? What can I do.? I know they can lay two or three but surely she won't keep doing this over and over.? I mean, she's barely a year old, this can't be healthy for her, no matter how much calcium she's getting. Should we just let her breed with our one year old boy.? I don't know how that'd really help either but I don't know what to do for her.

Her weight is okay, when she's gravid, it's in the 600s, after she lays it's anywhere between 450 and 550. She eats supers and dubias and her salad with calcium on it. And she overall seems and looks pretty healthy, besides having a permanent layer of sand dust all over her. What can I do for her.?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a good girl. :) It is totally normal, some will lay 2-3, some will lay up to 8-9. One of my girls laid 8 clutches of between 32-39 per clutch one year. Just feed her well, keep up with her supplements and hydration. As long as she's healthy there's no problem, 4 clutches is average. Some people opt to spay them but that comes with it's own risks and they can STILL develop follicles after.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
She's a good girl. :) It is totally normal, some will lay 2-3, some will lay up to 8-9. One of my girls laid 8 clutches of between 32-39 per clutch one year. Just feed her well, keep up with her supplements and hydration. As long as she's healthy there's no problem, 4 clutches is average. Some people opt to spay them but that comes with it's own risks and they can STILL develop follicles after.
Yeah, we aren't going to spay her just because she's laying a bunch of clutches. I feel so bad for her, it can't be very fun to be in this seemingly constant state of panic.

So just let her be.? It's normal that she's on her 4th clutch this year.?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, we aren't going to spay her just because she's laying a bunch of clutches. I feel so bad for her, it can't be very fun to be in this seemingly constant state of panic.

So just let her be.? It's normal that she's on her 4th clutch this year.?
Yes it is normal. Every dragon is different, some don't lay or don't do so until they are 8-9 yrs. old.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Ruby has clutched 4 times since mid January. 85 eggs total. I think she is done now. (Praying she is done, she is a holy terror for the last 6 or 7 days) like AHBD said just stay on top of her diet.
Breeding her could actually cause her to lay more. I wouldn't do it this season. (If your planning on it at all). I bread Ruby but it didn't take, I won't try again until she brumates again.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Ruby has clutched 4 times since mid January. 85 eggs total. I think she is done now. (Praying she is done, she is a holy terror for the last 6 or 7 days) like AHBD said just stay on top of her diet.
Breeding her could actually cause her to lay more. I wouldn't do it this season. (If your planning on it at all). I bread Ruby but it didn't take, I won't try again until she brumates again.
None of ours have brumated yet or even seemed like they were trying to. I don't think we'd breed her this season, since she's barely one but I hate she's like this again. When she does lay, it'll be over 100 eggs since the end of December. I feel bad, she runs around her tank and will either dig nonstop for hours, will scratch at the door to get out or will stand on her back feet against one of the walls and just scratch. It's nonstop and drives us insane

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
None of ours have brumated yet or even seemed like they were trying to. I don't think we'd breed her this season, since she's barely one but I hate she's like this again. When she does lay, it'll be over 100 eggs since the end of December. I feel bad, she runs around her tank and will either dig nonstop for hours, will scratch at the door to get out or will stand on her back feet against one of the walls and just scratch. It's nonstop and drives us insane
Ruby does much the same, hopefully this will be the last clutch your girl lays this season. It has to be stressful on them.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom