Heat wave!!!! aarrrggghhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, so just as i got the temps right in the basking spot for this heat wave in the UK, i measured the cool side when i got home last night - 89!!!

How do i cool the tank down a bit when the room is 87??? Any ideas?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I don't know what kind of tank you have, but can it be opened at all for more air flow? This could possibly help out.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The stand its on is 3 ft high, so today i opened the door and just stuck some cardboard over the bottom of the hole so she couldnt climb out while im ok work. I also closed the blind to keep the room temp down a degree or two. Hopefully it will be a little better for her today!! Little thing was so thirsty in her bath!

Staz

Hiya,

Where bouts in the Uk are you? I am in manchester and having the same issues with the temps. Because the air is as warm outside the tank as it is inside it is very difficult to cool it down. Jade has a fan in his tank but its not really helping. I have a large fan on all day in my flat while I am out and I have lowered my temps on the thermostat so that with the added heat from the weather it compensates and doesn't end up overheating while I am at work. You will find that you will prob not get much of a gradient but just try and make sure that the temps are comfortable and not too high. When I am home I open his tank to offer some relief and allow the fan to blow directly in. Hope this helps, like I say we are finding it hard too but Jade seems to be happy enough.

Staz

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Lol i managed to get home early, and she was under a cave where it was 90! thats even with the doors open! I put a large fan right up to the cage so it was kinda hanging in, but it only cooled to 87!

Will she be ok at theses temps if i bath everyday and keep her out and about as much as humanly possible?? Im at work during the day but you know when i get home etc??

Im reaally running out of ideas!

Staz

I think your little girl will be fine, if you can cool it to 87 thats great we seem to be around 88 at best. Just keep doing what you are doing...it's all we can with weather like this!
Someone has posted on here, regarding another issue, that beardies are able to deal with the odd temporary temp/humidity change. If they were out in the wild they would cope with the weather by hiding so don't worry.

Yes definately keep bathing daily to help with the hydration. Jade loves his 20minute baths lately lol. Do you have water in the viv that she can have if she is thirsty? Does your beardie seem unhappy at all? What I have been doing is letting jade out as soon as I get home but most of the time when I get back he seems quite happy basking, only a couple of times has he been hiding in the coolest spot.

I completely understand your worries, I have them too despite everything I am doing to get his temps right. If any other ideas come to mind let me know, and keep me posted. :D

MissT

BD.org Addict
One of my vivs just wont go below 88! The other seems to be staying around 85. My babies have been heading to bed before 6 pm every day :(

Im using MVB's so Im now at the stage where I have to switch those off for about 2-3 hours every afternoon, just to get the temps down - its not an ideal situation but it seems to be the only thing thats working at all - so from about noon until about 2.30 pm each day, all I have running in the vivs is a household strip bulb!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well she wasnt at her happiest, but was by no means the darkest i have seen her. I didnt put ant water in there as i didnt want the humidity to be raised hugher than it already is! Ive been giving her two baths a day to make sure she is really hydrated.

She is in a mood today, but thats because i slept in and wasnt there tio giver her a morning bath! i was only an hoour behind with it, but she is just a princess!!

Its a little cooler today at 84, and she is just givin me evils from her basking spot, but im sure she will come around when i get the worms out later!!

Petteri

Hi,
Here in Finland we've been having a heat wave as well for the last couple of weeks. My beardie seems to be doing somewhat ok with daily baths and occasionally a fan blowing next to his cage. He's a bit more tired than usually, not really in the mood for any activity lol Anyhow, I thought I'd share my tactic of cooling the cages of my crested geckos. They don't handle warm temperatures very well at all! So what I do is I fill large bottles and other containers with freezing cold water, wrap them in towels and place them inside the cages. Then change the water every two hours or so. It's quite a lot of work but helps to bring down the temps many degrees. These little geckos wouldn't survive too long otherwise. Fortunately I'm on vacation AND the heat wave will be over tomorrow :p

Jim_V2000

Hatchling Member
The simplest answer is to temporarily replace the bulb on the cool side of the cage with a CFL bulb. They put out lots of light, but not much heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom