Hammock and his behavior

My beardie is around 10 months. He eats normally. Loves his greens and staple. He has a hammock in his enclosure that he LOVES. It is positioned in his cool side of the enclosure. He gets up in the morning eats his greens. Has his staple like normal. His temp in the heated side runs around 85 to 88 and in the cool side around 75 maybe 1 to 2 degrees in either way. The hammock I have is set up in the cool side. The problem with him is he loves it so much that he is constantly on it. I’m worried. It is winter here and I thought it could be that his system could be thinking brumation. When I got him in early October he did not do this but it seems over the past month he has been doing it. He just has not really wanted to be in the basking side as much. If I take him out to cuddle he walks around then loves to just sit under my chin and go to sleep. He is eating and drinking normal. He is pooping normally. The right color and consisteny. He even chases his crickets. My problem is I got him from a pet store and they told me that they had no idea how old he was but he was two times the size as the smaller ones that were in the same enclosure. So they told me that they had no idea how old he was. So I think it might be brumation and that he is a month or 2 older. I’m just wondering is this normal behavior? Could I have gotten him older than what I was told he could be, which I think was 9 weeks. I read online that this about the age they sell them? He does bask but for a short period of time then he poops and then goes to his colder side to his hammock and falls asleep. Should I reposition his hammock to the basking side? He even has a cave but never wanted to use it even when he was brought home. I tried the cave a couple times before I got the hammock and he never wanted to be in it. So I am going out this weekend to just purchase a log instead so I can take the cave out. I hope I explaine all of this correctly. I’m nervous to switch his hammock because this is where he si
leeps at night too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie is around 10 months. He eats normally. Loves his greens and staple. He has a hammock in his enclosure that he LOVES. It is positioned in his cool side of the enclosure. He gets up in the morning eats his greens. Has his staple like normal. His temp in the heated side runs around 85 to 88 and in the cool side around 75 maybe 1 to 2 degrees in either way. The hammock I have is set up in the cool side. The problem with him is he loves it so much that he is constantly on it. I’m worried. It is winter here and I thought it could be that his system could be thinking brumation. When I got him in early October he did not do this but it seems over the past month he has been doing it. He just has not really wanted to be in the basking side as much. If I take him out to cuddle he walks around then loves to just sit under my chin and go to sleep. He is eating and drinking normal. He is pooping normally. The right color and consisteny. He even chases his crickets. My problem is I got him from a pet store and they told me that they had no idea how old he was but he was two times the size as the smaller ones that were in the same enclosure. So they told me that they had no idea how old he was. So I think it might be brumation and that he is a month or 2 older. I’m just wondering is this normal behavior? Could I have gotten him older than what I was told he could be, which I think was 9 weeks. I read online that this about the age they sell them? He does bask but for a short period of time then he poops and then goes to his colder side to his hammock and falls asleep. Should I reposition his hammock to the basking side? He even has a cave but never wanted to use it even when he was brought home. I tried the cave a couple times before I got the hammock and he never wanted to be in it. So I am going out this weekend to just purchase a log instead so I can take the cave out. I hope I explaine all of this correctly. I’m nervous to switch his hammock because this is where he si
leeps at night too.
Surfacing basking temps should be 95-100 for a 6 month old and up taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- UVB NO coils --- long tube fixture--- these need to be on par --- please dont take the cave out --- please post a pic of the dragon

ScooterRenee2022

Original Poster
Last time me and my son measured him he was 18 and a half inches long and how do you take a surface temp I’m a first time owner so I don’t know how to do this. His basking lamp is the correct amount 16 inches from the top to bottom of the enclosure and it is a 100 watt basking lamp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 24

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Last time me and my son measured him he was 18 and a half inches long and how do you take a surface temp I’m a first time owner so I don’t know how to do this. His basking lamp is the correct amount 16 inches from the top to bottom of the enclosure and it is a 100 watt basking lamp.
You need a digital probe thermometer- place the probe on the spot where sits to bask 10 min or so get the temp- you don't need to leave it there stick on the side of your tank - check temps every 3 weeks or so basking bulbs do get weak over time

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My chart says...
12 months 16 - 20 inches
12 month weight 300 - 450 grams
Those charts are not reliable in the least. Their size depends on genetics, food intake, supplements, basking temps and uvb. I can and have grown hatchlings to adult size in 6 months flat. (Before I knew better). Pet stores especially box stores under feed to keep them small. It's easier to sell a hatchling than a juvenile.
For the record I DO NOT recommend growing them that fast, it can cause health and I suspect behavioral issues.
Feeding them an appropriate amount of food and letting them grow at a more natural pace will result in healthier beardies.
Back to the point I was trying to make, those charts are a generalization at best.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom