Rate my enclosure please../

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
PetSmart carries the Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt please get rid of the coil uvb- he will be fine a couple of days w/ out uvb-- distance and placement for the Arcadia 12-15 inches unobstructed no screen
so get the 14% ?
1712097073250.jpg

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
Should be $79.99-- you want desert- the 14% bulb is for higher tanks like 24"
24 or 36?
1712098201525.jpg

my tank is 36x18x18 if I get the 36 i dont think it will fit inside because the plug adds another inch or two unless I put it above the screen but the 24 wont cover the whole tank but could be put inside

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
24 or 36? View attachment 88454
my tank is 36x18x18 if I get the 36 i dont think it will fit inside because the plug adds another inch or two unless I put it above the screen but the 24 wont cover the whole tank but could be put inside
24" -- for your tank - you can also use it for a 4x2x2 tank as well --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont plan on getting a 4x2x2 my next one is 4x2x18" I dont want the tall tanks too much this is what I have my eye on
View attachment 88455
Your better off w/ a 4x2x2 tank -- I would check out zen habitats or dubiaroaches.com symtonbsf.com - and I have more websites as well if you want them-- I have 2 zens and I like them-- they are light weight and easier to heat than all glass

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
@KarrieRee @xp29 @AHBD the new UVB light came in the mail. He immediately seems happy and smiling. Although I did not attached it inside the hood. With all the info you guys gave me, it really made me question and wonder a lot of things so I dig deep into the science of said UVB Light. While you were all correct that my previous light was not giving him UVB at all. And the Dome one was actually working before because his basking rock was way higher. The one I ordered now is what you guys suggested "Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood - 24" after finding out how it all work. I measured the distance between the mesh to the basking light area. Account for the mesh reducing UVB by 15-20% and all. If I put the light inside the cage he will be exposed to too much UVB when he is on top of his little cave thingy and Dangerously high UVB when he is on top of his Hammock which is one of his favorite spot to go on. This specific light the when put inside the cage have to be between 24cm (9.4")-50cm (19.69') away with 20cm(7.8') being high and 13cm(5.12') dangerously high for bearded dragon. My tank is only 18* high so even when it is over the mesh the distance for proper UVB for this light is about 20.4cm (8.03")-42.5 (16.73") at 15% reduction and 19.2 (7.55")-40cm (15.75") at 20% reduction. With these measurements I can see that he still getting the minimal UVB while he is at the base on top of his basking rock and even if he climbs up the cave or his hammock he is not reaching the danger zone for UVB for a bearded dragon.

I just wanted to say that you all have given me a lot to think about and learn and all your suggestions were valid. Besides putting this specific unit inside the cage at an 18" high tank. It will only be valid to have it inside if he does not go any higher than half way the tank and since my Hammock goes up to 14" off the ground I cannot put it inside without endangering him when he is at the Hammock's peak.

Lastly I also learned that D3 is what UVB mainly produce and he was getting it from the powder I put on his bugs. It comes with Calcium and D3. So with this light, I have to buy a powder supplement without the D3 which is not a big deal.

Anyways thank you guys for all your in put and I've learned a lot because you of you guys. I will probably get a 24" (2') tall tank when his next upgrade so I can mount the light inside but yes this is a definitely way batter light than the one I had or the dome that the tank came with.
20240404_142409.jpg
20240404_142142.jpg
20240404_142147.jpg
20240404_142150.jpg

Just look at that smile! It was all because of you guys :)

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
@KarrieRee @xp29 @AHBD the new UVB light came in the mail. He immediately seems happy and smiling. Although I did not attached it inside the hood. With all the info you guys gave me, it really made me question and wonder a lot of things so I dig deep into the science of said UVB Light. While you were all correct that my previous light was not giving him UVB at all. And the Dome one was actually working before because his basking rock was way higher. The one I ordered now is what you guys suggested "Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood - 24" after finding out how it all work. I measured the distance between the mesh to the basking light area. Account for the mesh reducing UVB by 15-20% and all. If I put the light inside the cage he will be exposed to too much UVB when he is on top of his little cave thingy and Dangerously high UVB when he is on top of his Hammock which is one of his favorite spot to go on. This specific light the when put inside the cage have to be between 24cm (9.4")-50cm (19.69') away with 20cm(7.8') being high and 13cm(5.12') dangerously high for bearded dragon. My tank is only 18* high so even when it is over the mesh the distance for proper UVB for this light is about 20.4cm (8.03")-42.5 (16.73") at 15% reduction and 19.2 (7.55")-40cm (15.75") at 20% reduction. With these measurements I can see that he still getting the minimal UVB while he is at the base on top of his basking rock and even if he climbs up the cave or his hammock he is not reaching the danger zone for UVB for a bearded dragon.

I just wanted to say that you all have given me a lot to think about and learn and all your suggestions were valid. Besides putting this specific unit inside the cage at an 18" high tank. It will only be valid to have it inside if he does not go any higher than half way the tank and since my Hammock goes up to 14" off the ground I cannot put it inside without endangering him when he is at the Hammock's peak.

Lastly I also learned that D3 is what UVB mainly produce and he was getting it from the powder I put on his bugs. It comes with Calcium and D3. So with this light, I have to buy a powder supplement without the D3 which is not a big deal.

Anyways thank you guys for all your in put and I've learned a lot because you of you guys. I will probably get a 24" (2') tall tank when his next upgrade so I can mount the light inside but yes this is a definitely way batter light than the one I had or the dome that the tank came with. View attachment 88530 View attachment 88531 View attachment 88532 View attachment 88533
Just look at that smile! It was all because of you guys :)
Oh he looks quite pleased 😀
Glad we could help 🙂
Beardies do like to climb so if you go with the 24 inch tall habitat, he will use that space if you give him climbable decor.

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
Oh he looks quite pleased 😀
Glad we could help 🙂
Beardies do like to climb so if you go with the 24 inch tall habitat, he will use that space if you give him climbable decor.
He most certainly are, he's also not hiding in his corner at least for now. Look at him! He climb there without me putting him in it :)
1000017965.jpg

definitely worth the buy!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom