Rate my enclosure please../

Vash32

Beardie name(s)
Varick
Enclosure Dimensions 36"x18"x18"
Enclosure Temperatures Cool Side 65-75*, Warm Side 85-95*, Basking Surface 105-115*
Thermometer Type IR temp gun
UVB Source Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture
UVB Placement slanted a bit on the cool side
UVB Schedule 6:45am-8:30pm
Basking Light 150W in a Dome
Basking Schedule 7am-8pm
Substrate Reptile Carpet
Other Camera Monitor inside on 24/7. Heated Mat underneath the basking rocks scheduled at 7:30PM-7AM
All lights are on a smart plug-in which includes a small light in a glass case next to the cage that is schedule for 6:30am-7:15am and the living room light that runs 7:15am-7pm (our living room is dark without lights) to some how mimic sun rising and setting inside his enclosure.
435286997_8092486407432374_2777360071403498730_n.jpg

Any tips for changes would be much appreciate.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Enclosure Dimensions 36"x18"x18"
Enclosure Temperatures Cool Side 65-75*, Warm Side 85-95*, Basking Surface 105-115*
Thermometer Type IR temp gun
UVB Source Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture
UVB Placement slanted a bit on the cool side
Basking Light 150W in a Dome
Basking Schedule7am-8pm
Substrate Reptile Carpet
View attachment 88440
Any tips for changes would be much appreciate.
The t8 I would for sure mount inside the habitat. T8's aren't as strong as t5's.
Also the zilla's come with a plastic cover over the buld, it needs to be removed asap, it blocks 100% of the uvb. For the life of me I can't understand with they put them on in the first place. Otherwise your setup looks nice 👌

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
The t8 I would for sure mount inside the habitat. T8's aren't as strong as t5's.
Also the zilla's come with a plastic cover over the buld, it needs to be removed asap, it blocks 100% of the uvb. For the life of me I can't understand with they put them on in the first place. Otherwise your setup looks nice 👌
Ill try to find a way to mount it inside, but the instruction on the box is not to remove that cover so my wife might not agree on taking it out once inside.
In 6 month or so Im planning on buying a 48x24x18 tank and while looking at UVB light for that one I saw one that can be mounted on a screen top inside the enclosure.
The wife and I are considering buying a female Beardie once Varick moved into the bigger tank.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The cover on the slimline blocks all the uvb, it renders the light useless. Tbh an Arcadia pro t5 12% desert would be a much better option, the zoomed lights and fixtures are highly recommended akso, but I've had trouble out of them in the past.
As far as mounting it inside, heavy zip ties work, picture hanging wires works well also.

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
The cover on the slimline blocks all the uvb, it renders the light useless. Tbh an Arcadia pro t5 12% desert would be a much better option, the zoomed lights and fixtures are highly recommended akso, but I've had trouble out of them in the past.
As far as mounting it inside, heavy zip ties work, picture hanging wires works well also.
1712093280652.jpg

is this it?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's good that you're asking advice, you'll get good info here. :) The set up is nice + clean and good for a dragon of that size but he/she will very quickly outgrow it so a larger tank will soon be needed. Setting a beardie up is not always easy because of misinformation and so there are adjustments needed. As xp29 mentioned, the shield MUST come off that uvb fixture. If you check other companies that put out uvb fixtures they do not have that cover. Plastic and glass block the uvb, period. There may be a few companies that pattern their fixture after something that goes over an aquarium with fish + water that want to keep water from possibly splashing up on a bulb.
But it's not at all the right way to make a fixture for reptile bulbs, no one uses them, at least once they find out.

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
Hi there, it's good that you're asking advice, you'll get good info here. :) The set up is nice + clean and good for a dragon of that size but he/she will very quickly outgrow it so a larger tank will soon be needed. Setting a beardie up is not always easy because of misinformation and so there are adjustments needed. As xp29 mentioned, the shield MUST come off that uvb fixture. If you check other companies that put out uvb fixtures they do not have that cover. Plastic and glass block the uvb, period. There may be a few companies that pattern their fixture after something that goes over an aquarium with fish + water that want to keep water from possibly splashing up on a bulb.
But it's not at all the right way to make a fixture for reptile bulbs, no one uses them, at least once they find out.
thank you, but I am co-parenting him with my Wife and will sure let her know about the cover when she gets home. It is removable of course to replace the bulb so if she agrees after she does her own research, I will be removing the cover :)

On a side note: I did put my transition glasses inside the cage of course and it does slightly change color which implies there is UV light coming into the cage. It did not change as much as it would outside but it does change non-a-less

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
thank you, but I am co-parenting him with my Wife and will sure let her know about the cover when she gets home. It is removable of course to replace the bulb so if she agrees after she does her own research, I will be removing the cover :)

On a side note: I did put my transition glasses inside the cage of course and it does slightly change color which implies there is UV light coming into the cage. It did not change as much as it would outside but it does change non-a-less
Distance for a T 8 is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece-- at this point your dragon is not getting adequate uvb- please upgrade to a T 5 the Arcadia pro T 5 is a great fixture

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
Distance for a T 8 is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece-- at this point your dragon is not getting adequate uvb- please upgrade to a T 5 the Arcadia pro T 5 is a great fixture
so quick question, I do have this one that came with the enclosure. I replaced it because it was dimmer than the Zilla one. I don't know the specs for it, Ill try to look it up but is it better than the one I have now?
20240402_165955.jpg
Edit:

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb
@xp29

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Unfortunately no, that's a compact uvb, not a good source at all for a large tank but the companies sell a ton of them.

Vash32

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Varick
Unfortunately no, that's a compact uvb, not a good source at all for a large tank but the companies sell a ton of them.
so should I rush order the Arcadia pro I posted above? I have limited time to return the current one I have and if I have to put him back to the Dome UVB till the Arcadia arrives then I will just have to.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That would be the best thing , yes, if you have just a short time for making a return. It'll all work though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
so should I rush order the Arcadia pro I posted above? I have limited time to return the current one I have and if I have to put him back to the Dome UVB till the Arcadia arrives then I will just have to.
PetSmart carries the Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt please get rid of the coil uvb- he will be fine a couple of days w/ out uvb-- distance and placement for the Arcadia 12-15 inches unobstructed no screen

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom