Dragon opening mouth while basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been seeing my dragon do this alot the past few years. He opens his mouth about a quarter inch and some times a inch while he is basking. Is his tank to warm at 90 degrees?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Nope, what you are seeing is their way of regulating the heat in their bodies, sort of like the way a dog pants.
90 might be just a tad low if anything, if you see undigested insect parts, then you may want to bump the temps up to at least 95*F.

Hope this helped out !
Janie.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
slipknot777":7c79f said:
I been seeing my dragon do this alot the past few years. He opens his mouth about a quarter inch and some times a inch while he is basking. Is his tank to warm at 90 degrees?
I noticed in one of your other posts, that you're using a digital thermometer but does it have a long wire & probe on the end? If it doesn't, then you're not getting accurate readings. Could you post a picture of your beardies? I know you said they are only a 8" long or so and they are both adults, wondering if they are Rankins beardies that only get about a foot long when full grown.

slipknot777

Original Poster
yes it has a long wire and a probe and a suken cup so it can say in place. I been tryin to get a digital camera but no luck and i never figured out photobucket for sum pics. What its like you guys dont believe me but thats fine i dont care. I am looking for advice and so i can learn about my friends and your like the fourth person that asked me for pics. [inappropriate comment removed by moderator] I'll study them the old fashion. Good bye

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Slip, it isn't that we don't believe you, it's just that we looooove pictures ! And pictures better help us to help you ! Please don't be angry !
I know how frustrating all this seems to be, but honestly, once things are sorted out, and everything is how it should be, you and your dragon will be so much better !
Here, allow me to share my story with you, to encourage you to stay on here.

Last year, I was given an adult male dragon, 8 years old, named Tanker. Well, we knew NOTHING of dragons, so off I went in search for valid information,as all the books I could find were sadly out of date, by as much as decades !

I found this wonderful site. I was able to change many things in Tankers viv, which was only a 55 gal fish tank, filled with calci-sand. His diet was crickets, no veggies, no bathes, even no UVB !

Sadly we lost Tanker due to the fact that poor husbandry took its' toll. But I had learned to love Tanker, and the species so much, I now have 2 juvies I got from a breeder here, and I also adopted a rescue, that has only 3 feet, a tail that is missing 3" due to a tank mates' loving attentions. So now with these wonderful 3 young male dragons, my love, and respect for those here, has only increased.

So once again, I urge you to have paitence, and bear with us, as we try to help you out.

Remember we love pictures ? Here are my 3. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do !
Yardleyloungelizard.jpg

This is Yardley, the one that is handicapable. Isn't he a dear ?!

Geminipeeking.jpg

This is Gemini, he's peeking at you !

Grumpy.jpg

And last, but never the least, my little piggy Orion ! Ignore his glare, he was shedding.

I would be more than happy to assist you in placing your pictures from photobucket here, or if you would like, email me your pics, and I will load them onto my account, and post them here for you ! Please just Private Message me ! :D

Once again, I welcome you, and I am glad you found us.
Hugs and everything !
Janie.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Hi again John,

Please don't get defensive. If you look at the big picture, the mere fact that someone mentioned another one of your posts just means that attention is being paid to all of the advice that people are seeking. I believe I did the same thing and you were kind enough not to blast me. It's not that no one believes you, as Janie said... but certain questions prompt certain responses. And the request for pictures is "global"... it's not just directed at you specifically. Admiration is abundant here, we all love everyone else's dragons as well as our own. It just so happens that the request for pictures at this time is directly related to you request for answers.

Please rethink your decision to move away from this site.

slipknot777

Original Poster
watever am tried of being taken a fool of because i don't know how to take care of my dragons. I do the best i can with them i get them what they need to survice. But there to old to grow but thats my fault for listening to the pet store ladys for years. But am done i dont have time for this they die they die i gave them a great home. Goodbye

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
slipknot777":61408 said:
watever am tried of being taken a fool of because i don't know how to take care of my dragons. I do the best i can with them i get them what they need to survice. But there to old to grow but thats my fault for listening to the pet store ladys for years. But am done i dont have time for this they die they die i gave them a great home. Goodbye

From what I can tell, everyone here has been very helpful and patient with you so far. I just joined the site, too, for the same reasons you probably did - I want to be part of a community that loves and cares for their beardies, to get (and eventually give) helpful advice, share our stories, and belong to a group of like-minded people.

Your post indicates defensiveness, yet I don't see anywhere here (or on the other threads) where anyone has been rude or accused you of mistreating your beardies.

I think you are confused and frustrated, so now you are lashing out at others. It isn't because of something anyone else has done or said; you know in your heart that you need to do something different concerning the care of your beardies. Otherwise, why would you even bother asking for advice, if you truly think you are doing everything right?

As far as your beardies are concerned, by making the statement that you'll just let them die, this will make it difficult for any of us to trust that you really care about them.

So if you DO care about them, and don't want them to die from neglect or improper care, then you have 2 choices - either accept the advice given (that again, you asked for), or give them away to someone who will properly care for them.

I don't care if you (or anyone else) thinks this post was "rude" - I'm telling it like it is. [comment removed by moderator to prevent friction.]

slipknot777

Original Poster
Well you are being rude you dont know i love my dragons and screwed up for years because i listen to stupid careless ladys at a local pet store. Am not letting you make people think on here that i neglect my dragon. [bad language removed by moderator] i been having problems with my old lady and had stuff just come up. But i gave all my reptiles food everyday even a mouse to my home boy boa. They never do with out i think of them as my kids. [inappropriate comment removed by moderator] this go to who ever reads this believe what u want. Later

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This thread has gotten out of hand. You came here asking advice and you were given lots of great information. There is no need to use the language and comments that were used, this is a PG-13 forum and it will not be tolerated! If you want to help your beardies improve, I suggest you listen to what is being said. As stated, the reason pictures were requested was to see if you might have Rankins dragons which are much smaller in size. Everyone is just trying to help your beardies improve, but the final choice is yours.

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
slipknot777":34b9b said:
Well you are being rude you dont know i love my dragons and screwed up for years because i listen to stupid careless ladys at a local pet store. Am not letting you make people think on here that i neglect my dragon. [bad language removed by moderator] i been having problems with my old lady and had stuff just come up. But i gave all my reptiles food everyday even a mouse to my home boy boa. They never do with out i think of them as my kids. [inappropriate comment removed by moderator] this go to who ever reads this believe what u want. Later

Wow, that was quite well put! Guess you really put me in my place, eh? Obviously, you believe that some of us misjudged you and the whole situation about the beardies. They're like children to you? Let's hope that you don't breed, then.

So anyway, thanks for clarifying everything. Now, we can all tell just how dedicated you are to them and your homey*, the boa.

I presume you don't need us. [comment removed by moderator]

* "homey" or "homie"?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If this thread gets out of hand again, IT WILL BE LOCKED! And, warnings or temporary bans will be put in place.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Hey John-
I would guess well over half of the people on here came here because of inadequate advice from the pet stores. While we didn't get BAD advice, we didn't get everything we needed and thus found our way here, but we were probably one of the lucky ones. A lot of people have beardies with serious health problems due to pet shop negligence. We do not think that you don't care about and love your beardies. In fact, we recognize that the situation is actually the exact opposite- you want the best for your beardies which is why you came here for advice. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be to know that your pets' health may have been compromised because of a pet store. If you choose to let us, we can make sure that you get nothing but the best advice from here on out.
Don't give up-
Sara

slipknot777

Original Poster
ok sorry about that i already blame myself for having sick dragons. I dont need to have careless advice and rudeness like i been getting from this lady. Bann me nothing has helped me on this site. I'll give all u people what u want i'll donate my dragons to a animal walfare place. Because i dont care anymore.

Seven65

Juvie Member
I just read over this thread and I can't see any reason why you think you're being attacked. Just take a second to cool down and see that everyone is trying to help no one is accusing you of anything, we've all had bad advice from pet stores and this site is a great learning tool to correct the problems that that may have caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom