Does anyone house together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
i just admited it :p

But i wouldnt advise it despite that my 2 girls are together. We havent seen any problems so unless something comes up (knock on wood) they will hopefully remain together. I have heard the horropr stories and have a friend whose beardie was nomed on by several larger females before he was adopted (from petsmart 5 years ago i think?). Poor guy is missing several toes and the tip of his tail.

I agree it does depend on personality though. Our only adult, probably an elderly beardie Winston doesnt seem to like any of our other beardies. At least he doesnt like my 8 month old male charizard XD, but thats understandible since charizard was a butt to prance infront of the old mans tank like he owned it. Charizard i'm not so sure, he's been out while we had nugget (one of the girls) out and he ignored her until he suddenly ran over and licked her face before walking off. Wasnt aggresive, but either way since he's maturing and there still babies they wont be allowed to play. Mostly because i dont want 100+ more babies to take care of any time soon XD

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
I have 2 dragons,a male and a female. I never put them together because of all the stories I had read,one day I decided to try showing them to each other,BAD idea. I thought my male was gonna hurt himself trying to get to the female,whether to fight or mate I have no idea,but glad I never tried putting them together.He black beards and head bobs enough,sometimes black bearding the moment he wakes up,don't need any extra stimulant.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
I don't have more than one but I saw what BeeGee did to the mirror we have downstairs. He seems relaxed but I know he can turn at any minute. I wouldn't risk it, but I'm not going to bash the people who house them together. To each their own, but to be on the safer side I would house them separately. I don't see much of a benefit of housing two together anyway, they don't seem to enjoy it.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Our local pet store has a semi-resident female that they haven't been able to sell. They received her about two years ago from someone who couldn't take care of her. She is missing her whole tail and most of her toes. All new beardies coming into the store, shares her viv until they are sold. According to the store owner, they have never had a problem with fighting and/or dominance, although we have before seen her attack another beardie. Not full-out and biting, but trying nevertheless. We bought both our beardies from the same store (with all limbs intact).

We first got our girl, Angie and around four months later, bought Flippie. From the start we separated them, but have introduced them a number of times. On all occasions, the one or the other showed aggression towards the other one. Either Angie would try to attack Flippie, or Flippie would blackbeard and go for Angie.

We have decided to keep them apart, and try not to have them see each other directly as it puts too much stress on both of them. I agree that it most likely depends on the personalities, but in our case, it is just not worth risking either of them getting hurt or upset.

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
yep defo, i have a very healthy happy colony of 4 dragons, :lol: no scraps and all know there places which was established early on.. i have intergraged two with two that were brought up while young. and anyone who goes off on one is judgemental which controdicts what the sites there for :puke: ....i do have to younger dragons sisters that will never go into the main tank not because of lack of room but they are part of a future breeding programme , and i will choose when to mate not my randy male lol... :D

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I will offer my personal thoughts, but the answer to your question is not I.

I have 12 resident beardies, two hold backs from last year, an a 2-headed beardies for a total of 14 beardies. The only beardies that are housed together are the 2 that can not be separated or several from a clutch maybe housed together for a short time.

Mind you once upon a time I too had more than one beardie per set up(until I stop listening to pet stores :evil: ). I was lucky as I didn't really have any injuries other than a lip bite here or there. But there are other reasons besides the obvious fighting that take place when housed together. One the stress that we can not always see until we are made aware...which causes compromised immune systems. Another reason one will be more dominate even if in subtle ways which in return leave the other intimidated and ofter much smaller due to this or more subceptible to illness. Many, many people make the mistake of housing a male and a female together not thinking this through....they are animals they will breed... and breed...and breed...leaving your female very stressed, over bred, and often the loss of this female before long. Also there's cross contamination. I personally have had experience with this one when I was a newbie to beardies. One beardie became sick and before I knew it I spend hundreds of dollars and ended up with 2 dead beardies. Whereas if I'd not had them together I most likely would have only lost one. Truthfully beardies really are solitary creatures an only come together in the wild to mate...you won't see them hanging out together in the wild or basking one on top of the other. They are also territorial an I personally feel they deserve the right to their own domain. Even when breeding one of my pairs they do not go into one anothers enclosure...each beardies enclosure is their palace...their safety zone. :) For me I feel it's not worth taking the risks...but that's me. :wink:

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
I breed bearded dragons and house 1 male and 2 females in the same homemade enclosure. If you choose to house some together, here are some pointers. NEVER house more than one male per set up, NEVER! There should be enough basking area that each one in the enclosure can enjoy it without having to climb on top of each other, although they will "stack" regardless. Make sure they are around the same size, putting a baby in with an adult is never a good idea. Keep a close eye on them and at the first signs of trouble separate them. That being said, bearded dragons mating is somewhat violent. The male latches on to the female by the nape of her neck and holds her down while he does his business. This can appear to be fighting and looks rather painful. The first time I caught them in the act I broke them up because I thought Mojo was hurting Jojo, turns out they were just doing what comes natural. It is true that in the wild they are solitary creatures, but you try separating my adults and you will have 3 very angry dragons to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom