Crestie or Leo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudleyDragon

Hatchling Member
I want a gecko really bad but i'm having a hard time deciding between the two, as i don't know that much about either. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks - Briana

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
i would read up on both and decide which one suits you better. theyre both great pets and id say you couldnt go wrong with either.

theWERM

there aren't a lot of cons if you have the time for these guys, I would have to say in my openion that a leopard gecko would be a little easier to care and has less worries. Cons,Crested geckos: with a crestie you have to worry about dropping tails a little bit more, you have to mist them, worry about over/under misting, And if over mist can get mites a little easier than a leopard gecko. Pros, Cresties: they are just about the easiest gecko to care for, really fun to handle (from what I've heard), look awesome!, have really cool sticky feet, can be handled, sleep with there eyes open, live on average about 10-15 years, a single crestie can live in a 15 gal. tank, and are very easy to bread. Cons, leopard geckos: will starve them selfs if they feel something is really is wrong, your not supposed to use sand (I use it and my leo is fine), if you get certain kinds of leopard geckos they can be a little mean, if they lose they're tail it grows back look'n kinda funky, sometimes don't eat if they feel something is wrong. Pros, leopard geckos: easy to care for, like being handled when adults, awesome to handle!, if givin proper care can live well over 10-15 years, easy to breed, very inexpensive to keep, very simple care, and don't have sticky (so you don't have to get the broom out every time he trys to crawl on the ceiling) :p

don't get me wrong i do like cresties and am working on getting one. these two geckos are on the top five easiest to care for reptile poll that tells you how easy stuff is chart! i think that both of these geckos are an awesome choice, its really up to you and what you like.

Good luck!

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
I have cresties, and my favorite things...........you have to keep minimal live food on hand (a couple crickets or roaches once a week) And they don't require any heat lamps so they don't contribute to the horrible electric bill we have from our beardies.

Livey

Extreme Poster
i say leos!
i have too and they are just the cutist things ever!
:D
im not really sure on the crested geckos though :( i do like there sticky feet though :lol:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I may be biased, as I've never had a leo, but Rhacodactylus geckos are my all time favorites! So sweet, fun, and easy. But leos are adorable, too. Whichever you want, they're both easy, cheap, and sweet. :D

Starforce2

Juvie Member
the reason I am considering a crestie over a leo is because of the cresties leaf like appearence, they just look odd. Plus, for some reason I just don't like leo's. Cresties also appear to have a long life span. I was reading one breeders website which states they have been breeding crested sicne the early/mid 90's and have yet to have one expire of old age and their breeders are still going strong, they suspect the lifespan could be as high as 25+.

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
I go with the Leo's on color rangees and havign the females together in a large tank makes them a bit more social than most.

I went through the same debate. I haven't looked back since getting them a few weeks back. They are getting big fast and they are very easy to handle. I have had to moved them in tank by hand to clean and such. Ont one gape of move and a nudge gets them to look at me then get out of the way of the hand.

They are smart gals I got.

They also poo in one spot...ALL three of them. Makes clean up easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom