Coccidia /Albon not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This bearded dragon thing is getting complicated. I have an African grey that has been sitting in my office for 26 years. He eats like a horse and will cuss you out if you are late with his food. Birds are way easier and they talk to you.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I may get fussed at for this but I think it helped. Early this morning I gave her .02 ml of Flagyl. Three hours later we gave her about a half a teaspoon of soy yogurt.

We also took her out into the sunshine for 30 minutes.

My wife picked up some wax worms locally. The package said they have a 65% moisture content, we figured it would help with any dehydration from meds. She ate 5 on her own. I have read the negative things about wax worms but this is the first she has eaten on her own in a long time. I would cook her breakfast at this point if I thought she would eat it.

Right now she seems to have some energy and she seems to feel better.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Important thing is to get on top of her parasitic infection
followed by or simultaneously with treating for the secondary bacterial infection (caused by the above)
and
if you can get her to eat and take in hydration (from the worms - their being only a temporary addition to her diet because you want to hydrate her and really want her to have some food) then it's worth a try.

Did another vet prescribe the Flagyl for her ?

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2b4du8lr said:
Important thing is to get on top of her parasitic infection
followed by or simultaneously with treating for the secondary bacterial infection (caused by the above)
and
if you can get her to eat and take in hydration (from the worms - their being only a temporary addition to her diet because you want to hydrate her and really want her to have some food) then it's worth a try.

Did another vet prescribe the Flagyl for her ?

No she tried to but when i questioned her she said it could wait. I purchased some from beautifuldragon.com

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that she ate some ! That and getting her in the sun probably gave her a boost. Just be careful not to feed too much of a fatty thing, it can cause a dragon to vomi sometimes.

And yes, once they are not well it can be a pretty difficult time. I had a cockatiel that went through 2 owners before I got her and she lived to be over 20 yrs. old....don't remember how long exactly the other owners had her before me.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Jumping in here. Toltazuril is much easier on dragons than the sulfa based drugs. Also, are you disinfecting her tank and all her decor? Use paper towels for substrate. Throw away any porous objects that are in her tank. Use cardboard boxes for basking spots. All of this is very important in eliminating coccidia. You need to clean with either an ammonia based cleaner or a steam cleaner. Clean up her poop immediately and spot clean the area. Coccidia is spread Fecal/oral so if you do not keep her enclosure meticulously clean you will never get rid of the coccidia.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. I think I have created an Albon resistant strain of coccidia. Next week I'm going to search for a vet that will prescribe Toltazuril. The last vet said she only prescibes Albon.

I need to do better with cleaning.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? I agree, Toltrazuril or Ponazuril (same) are so much more
effective than Albon. It isn't a widespread commonly prescribed medication yet, here in the
US. It is kinder on their system, too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's the med. that I mentioned in my first post, I'm surprised that more vets aren't using it. You can get if from beardeddragon.co

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":35dwoy2e said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? I agree, Toltrazuril or Ponazuril (same) are so much more
effective than Albon. It isn't a widespread commonly prescribed medication yet, here in the

Tracie

Thanks for asking Tracie. She seems to be some better. She is moving about some. She is still not eating much. I have a wide assortment of food coming tomorrow and I bought a steam cleaner, whats another 100 bucks at this point? I'm hoping that I have contamination issues more under control now.

I have Toltrazuril ordered from Beardeddragon.co. I hope it does not take too long to ship.

She weighs 47 grams and that mostly her head. She is almost 7 months old.

but we are not going to give up.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":n1pjbvum said:
Yes, that's the med. that I mentioned in my first post, I'm surprised that more vets aren't using it. You can get if from beardeddragon.co

Its ordered. She makes it clear not to ask her to rush it. Her web site says if its life or death, you should not be ordering meds online. She is right about that but there is not a vet in my town that prescribes it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":vmsj9sv4 said:
Drache613":vmsj9sv4 said:
Hello,

Tracie

Thanks for asking Tracie. She seems to be some better. She is moving about some. She is still not eating much. I have a wide assortment of food coming tomorrow and I bought a steam cleaner, whats another 100 bucks at this point? I'm hoping that I have contamination issues more under control now.

I have Toltrazuril ordered from Beardeddragon.co. I hope it does not take too long to ship.

She weighs 47 grams and that mostly her head. She is almost 7 months old.

but we are not going to give up.

I hope the steam cleaner will do the job, keep in mind the steam will not be much hotter than 100 degC at 1bar (air pressure) and even if it creates steam under 2bar pressure the temperature of the steam created will only be 120 degC , the steam created by domestic steamers is saturated steam.( look up Steam Tables , as summarized in the Mollier Diagram for Steam & Water ) , and this is not sufficient to kill some very resistant micro organisms.
My literature review on the temperature effects on coccidia indicates that long exposures to high temperatures (ie steam temperatures) in the range of an hour are required to ensure 100% mortality of coccidia see Effects of temperature on the oocysts of various species of Eimeria (Coccidia, Protozoa) by Kwei Chang.
A steam cleaner will not create sufficient exposure of the contaminated surfaces to high enough temperatures for long enough to be effective.

$100 is a lot of cash to throw at a steam cleaner which might not do the job. Whereas if you spent maybe $40 on a 200ml bottle of F10sc , this WILL do the job at 1:125 dilution in water and contact time (once sprayed on) of 30 minutes.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I personally use F10 for cleaning my enclosures, but I would love to have a steam cleaner as well, for both the enclosures and outside enclosures.
For $40 you can find a decent steamer, too, so money isn't necessarily the issue.

For treating coccidia, steam is often the most recommended in general as it can occur in cats and dogs, etc, so steam cleaning carpet and furniture is often recommended for those.

Just a source of info, recommending steam over ammonia based:
http://www.lktesting.com/coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom