Coccidia /Albon not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":qpr5i3bb said:
I personally use F10 for cleaning my enclosures, but I would love to have a steam cleaner as well, for both the enclosures and outside enclosures.
For $40 you can find a decent steamer, too, so money isn't necessarily the issue.

For treating coccidia, steam is often the most recommended in general as it can occur in cats and dogs, etc, so steam cleaning carpet and furniture is often recommended for those.

Just a source of info, recommending steam over ammonia based:
http://www.lktesting.com/coccidia

Thanks, there are a lot of places that recommend steam. Several appeared to be reputable sources.

Kingofnobody likes to keep me on my toes :wink:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a small steam cleaner and also use F10SC. During coccidia treatment I leaned more on the steam cleaner although it's more work to reach everything thoroughly. I'm not sure if F10SC works on Coccidia or not. Ammonia solutions are known to be effective but ammonia is pretty harsh so I try to avoid it. I still clean everything using vinegar and water and then handle sanitization after that.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I read it had to be 165 degrees to kill it. I went over it very carefully with an attachment that allows the tip to be just off the surface. It really helped in corners and at joints. I put a candy cooking thermometer at the tip and it read 250. There is nothing in her enclosure but a box, water dish and paper towels on the floor. I threw away any porous furnishing I had.

I even threw away the hammock my wife bought, talk about too much money, that thing was expensive for what it was.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Steamers are very good, indeed. I need to get one too, but the safest methods are the vinegar &
water solutions, they are not harsh or full of fumes like bleach or ammonia are.
How is your girl doing today, has she eaten anything?
I hope your meds get there quickly.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":11ql6fom said:
It's only money...

It was 250 degrees 1/2 inch from the tip. I ordered some special cleaner 5 days ago, still not shipped. <<<< (250-32)x 5/9 = 121 degC , so it's coming out at about 1bar gauge pressure see steam tables , probably not hot enough to kill the coccidia on contact - the surfaces wont be heated very much unless you give each spot a really long blast , needs longer than a few seconds which is what you will only get)

This is the steamer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DF0RB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These people disagree with you
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=165559&view=next
<<< interesting , but I am not advising use of ammonia compounds to sterilize and kill off coccidia.

I don't use ammonia for any of my sterilization so can't comment on it's effectiveness cf superheated steam , I do know F10sc 1:125 dilution is better than just about anything else on the market and it's sworn by here in Australia and in many other countries (used by most vets, zoos, keepers and breeders).
Is hassle free too and fine used to spot clean carpets and soft furnishings and non toxic to humans and pets who will come into contact with it..

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":lnzplg8c said:
I read it had to be 165 degrees to kill it.
<<<< The article mentions 165 degF for long "bakes" to kill off coccidia .
<<<< It's not just temperature but the time at temperature that needs to taken into consideration to have effective coccidia eradication ( darned tuff little critters - who are hard to kill ).

I went over it very carefully with an attachment that allows the tip to be just off the surface. It really helped in corners and at joints. I put a candy cooking thermometer at the tip and it read 250. There is nothing in her enclosure but a box, water dish and paper towels on the floor. I threw away any porous furnishing I had.
<<< every time she poos , you need to remove all the paper and give the viv another thorough sterilization else she'll reinfect herself by simply coming into contact with the eggs.
<<< don't forget to keep your hands washed , probably a good idea to wear disposable gloves everytime you handle her or her stuff until you are sure are sure she's free of coccodia , I think people can catch this , as can your other pets who come into contact with you if you are not careful.

I'm darned glad I've never encountered the parasite , though I did suffer as a kid from worms got from pets (cats and dogs and guinea pigs and budgies and finches - we had a literal menagerie in our home) and from being a outdoorsy kid who loved getting dirty.

I even threw away the hammock my wife bought, talk about too much money, that thing was expensive for what it was.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I read that Coccidia can not be spread cross species. Each species has it's own strain. I hope that's true. We have a parrot also.

I'm not sure about humans.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":195bdvdu said:
I read that Coccidia can not be spread cross species. Each species has it's own strain. I hope that's true. We have a parrot also.

I'm not sure about humans.

There are several strains of coccidia .... your vet will be able to identify the strain and advise on it's cross species infectiousness.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I wish I had something positive to report but I don't.

Fecal is showing a lot of coccidia. She is acting sick again. The new med and cleaner are due in today.

I'm afraid that this is our last hope.

hill202

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have not tried that. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank but It will need decontaminating.

In reviewing this thread, it is easy to see where I went wrong. I had the parasite properly identified but failed in the decontamination process. ( before the steamer, Kingofnobby)

The breeder says I should have her put down, that she is suffering.

If the new med and cleaner does not work, it may be time to consider what is humane. She has been sick a long time.

This sucks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Any of the medicines actually and specifically designed to work as anticoccidial antiparasitics ? see drugs listed on p3 of this thread.

Will never clear up this without including this class of medicine in the treatment regime , antibiotics and sterilization is only 1/2 the job.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hill202":11hkqafw said:
I have not tried that. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank but It will need decontaminating.

In reviewing this thread, it is easy to see where I went wrong. I had the parasite properly identified but failed in the decontamination process. ( before the steamer, Kingofnobby)

The breeder says I should have her put down, that she is suffering. <<< typical , sends a dragon to you full of coccidia , then say's put her down .
.....all for the want of a good reptile vet and proper drug treatment , all so easy to just pull the plug .

If the new med and cleaner does not work, it may be time to consider what is humane. She has been sick a long time.

This sucks.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry to hear no progress has been made, but hopefully with the meds arriving, there's still time to help.
Have you posted any photos yet of your little buddy? I don't believe this will necessarily change anything already set in motion, but it may help us determine how ill she may be and provide some input.

My concern is the meds themselves will make her sick, too, so there may not be any noticeable improvement right away. I'd agree on disinfecting a new/temporary setup and spot cleaning as needed while also dismantling and disinfecting the original enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom