Can i use windex to clean the glass of my viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittraff

There are smears everywhere, is windex safe to use to get rid of them? Or what else can i use? I have my beardie out of his cage as im doing a full cleaning but i hate those smears on the glass!

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I'm not sure if windex leaves any sort of residue that he could accidentally ingest. Hmm. I use a vinegar/water mix to clean the poo smears off the inside of the glass and it works well though! Just run a damp paper towel over it afterwards to get rid of any leftover vinegar smell. (My big guy decided he enjoys pooping while I'm at work and then "painting" while he waits for me to get home... :bleick:). His viv does get disinfected regularly as well, but the vinegar water is good for spot cleanups :)

Brittraff

Original Poster
snazzyglasses":21w9f2hc said:
I(My big guy decided he enjoys pooping while I'm at work and then "painting" while he waits for me to get home... :bleick:).

Thats pretty hilarious haha, i hope my guy doesn't pick up that habit :p

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Brittraff":39jkkz02 said:
Thats pretty hilarious haha, i hope my guy doesn't pick up that habit :p
Hehe! It is pretty funny actually. Despite the grossness lol :p
If I'm home when he poops then he just scratches to get out and doesn't paint, but if I'm gone he gets it everywhere... :roll: Maybe it's his version of beardie revenge for not being home to cater to his every whim? :shock: Sorry buddy, mom's gotta work so she can buy you those worms and greens, lol!

Aboyle143

I have found the most wonderful website dedicated to de-cluttering, & organizing your home,,,, free to all, you can join, or not join, info is still the same for everyone. It's called Flylady.net. They have a FLYshop, & sell some great cleaning products & tools, as well. I kept reading about these "Purple Rags" & how wonderful they were, how much they did etc. I finally got curious, & bought a set.

I am getting to the point here, I promise!

These are the most wonderful cleaning cloths EVER! One said you could wipe windows, doors, car windshields & more with only a damp purple rag, then wipe with a dry one to dry & get streaks off whatever you are cleaning. Now I've turned 23 years old for almost 2 decades, and been cleaning up after kids, hubby's & myself for over 26 years, & thought, there's NO WAY that would work w/o Windex or vinegar. So I tried it. To my utter amazement, it worked! Better than any cleaner I had ever used, better than newspaper, better than anything! And to think, a rag, & some water?!?! I cleaned hubby's tablets/phone/comp screen w/a dry one, and it looked brand new! I was missing a rag, (they come in 3 packs) went looking for it, & found in his briefcase! How's that for a statement!

As for your viv, I personally wouldn't use bleach or harsh chems in mine, a personal choice for me, (can't use bleach or fabric softener w/purple rags anyway) but you could try vinegar, diluted @ least 1/2-&-1/2, then use newspaper to wipe the streaks. I got a product that is 'supposed' to be non-harmful to our BD for sanitizing, there's no smell, who knows, I'm a newbie owner, they could have sold me H2o! I DO use a little bleach when washing the Repti-Carpet, I just make sure to run it through the rinse cycle 2 extra times. Since it's the only thing in the machine, & on small, doesn't take that long. Then it dries in the dryer in about 5 min.

Anyway, if you decide to check out FLYlady's shop, go to FLYlady.net, click either the tab that says FlyShop, then "start shopping now" or just SHOP to the right of her name. Look for "Rags in a Bag", & you'll find it. Shipping is very reasonable, don't think you pay tax if out of state, & comes very quick!
Also, although, I'll never be 100% "Green", (we just moved to sub-division that picks up recyclables, I refused to 'drive' my garbage anywhere) the rags have considerably cut back on my paper towel use! With 2 small kids, & using them as dinner napkins too, they have always been costly for our family! And, we all want our wild Beardie relatives to continue to live freely & not in landfills, right!
Flylady also has her own version of the Swiffer dry & wet, which is expensive to maintain consistently as well, but I'm getting too much off topic here! You can check it out & make decision.
Thanks,
Amber
P.S. I am not affiliated, in any way w/Flylady, nor will it affect me if you choose to join, or shop her site. Just wanted to give info on a great product that works for me, & my beardies tank as well!

Brittraff

Original Poster
Aboyle143":2yrwb81r said:
I have found the most wonderful website dedicated to de-cluttering, & organizing your home,,,, free to all, you can join, or not join, info is still the same for everyone. It's called Flylady.net.

Not to be rude but I probably would've felt more inclined to listen to you but this came off as an infomercial and not really a helpful statement. Sounded like you we're just an ad trying to sell to me not someone honestly trying to help me clean my viv.

Aboyle143

My apologies! That's why I said I wasn't affiliated in any way w/ the site, & also gave info on the vinegar/water solution, & using newspaper. Just wanted to give the info on the product, & how I found it. I do tend to get chatty, sorry, just my personality. It truly is a great product, & really does work wonders on glass w/just water. I do use it on mine (viv) as well.
I truly was just trying to be helpful. I certainly didn't mean to offend.
Amber

Brittraff

Original Poster
Aboyle143":e6qm7by9 said:
My apologies! That's why I said I wasn't affiliated in any way w/ the site, & also gave info on the vinegar/water solution, & using newspaper. Just wanted to give the info on the product, & how I found it. I do tend to get chatty, sorry, just my personality. It truly is a great product, & really does work wonders on glass w/just water. I do use it on mine (viv) as well.
I truly was just trying to be helpful. I certainly didn't mean to offend.
Amber

Maybe they should hire you haha you sound like you have a buisness personality :p thanks for helping.

Aboyle143

Maybe they should hire you haha you sound like you have a buisness personality :p thanks for helping.

;-) Sure, no prob! And, you're not the first to tell me I should (more or less) be in sales!
Ahh, if only we ALL got commission on every product we ever recommended!
The world would such a great place!
Amber

WolfMama

Hatchling Member
Hi there :) Just a thought I's share something (that I plan to share at another time with pics) that helps to keep viv clean :)...

Where our beardie defecates I place paper towels (folded to a quarter). This has worked SO fabulously for us! I just pick it up, flush it, and replace with clean. The bottom stays clean (we're using reptile carpet, but this would work with any substrate). The feces and urate don't get stuck on anything. And, so far (and he's young yet), no feces has been dragged about. The paper towel just absorbs the small amount of water that comes out, and the feces sticks to it.

I'm hoping he will come to associate the paper towel with where to defecate. I'm not looking to change where he defecates, just for the best way to keep it clean - and if he can learn to use the paper towel when out of the viv, that'd be terrific :) I had read somewhere that this can be done - but I can't vouche for it, myself. Plus, every beardie is different :)

Brittraff":34mv8k6u said:
Aboyle143":34mv8k6u said:
I have found the most wonderful website dedicated to de-cluttering, & organizing your home,,,, free to all, you can join, or not join, info is still the same for everyone. It's called Flylady.net.
Not to be rude but I probably would've felt more inclined to listen to you but this came off as an infomercial and not really a helpful statement. Sounded like you we're just an ad trying to sell to me not someone honestly trying to help me clean my viv.
LOL. I thought the same thing, then I saw Aboyle143 was talking about FlyLady. :D FlyLady is VERY addicting. You just can't help but tell everyone about it (I've never used the products from there, but I did use advice.). :)

I like what I use, because it's non-toxic and safe to have around children. I don't want to mention it because of how it needs to be bought. But you might want to try your local healthfood store, because they may have something that is non-toxic and safe. For most of these safe glass cleaning products... the main ingredient is vinegar and water. :)

:lol: Very funny on the house painting your beardie does. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom